Want to talk about NoScript? Post here. Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Want to talk about NoScript? Post here.

Unread post by therube » 2018-11-18, 13:43

Try a "hard" refresh of the page, Ctrl+Shift+R.

Or also possible it has to do with Session Restore.

(Don't really see where NoScript would have any bearing?)

Twin_Six

Unread post by Twin_Six » 2018-11-18, 20:51

Hmmm. I was hoping that my issue had already been seen and solved.

PMR: "What version of NS are you using? (the most current legacy version that works with Pale Moon is NSv5.1.9.)"
* That's the one. I will pursue your suggestions when I get a chance. It doesn't come up every day.

tr: "Try a 'hard' refresh of the page, Ctrl+Shift+R."
* Next time it happens, I will.

tr: "Or also possible it has to do with Session Restore. . . . (Don't really see where NoScript would have any bearing?)"
* I approach the topic from this angle in an abundance of caution. This thread exists. NS is the prime suspect by default, right?

* Thanks to you both.

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Session Restoration & Persistence: Flush Cache

Unread post by BobbyP » 2018-11-18, 21:12

therube wrote:Try a "hard" refresh of the page, Ctrl+Shift+R.

Or also possible it has to do with Session Restore. ...
I would also try the "hard" refresh more than once, as similar, though not identical sometimes unwanted persistence has occurred here, and seems to occur more often after Restoring a Session. Please see Session Manager Options -> General-> Saving & Restoring -> Session Restoring -> Bypass cache when restoring sessions.
Session Manager -  Bypass cache when restoring sessions - Screenshot.JPG
That is, if you are using Session Manager, or have these configurations available. I have been using Session Manager and Tab Mix Plus (which also has a Session Manager) so long...

I also use "Clear Cache Button", in attempts to, yes, clear the cache, though I am not certain how effective it has become.
Last edited by BobbyP on 2018-11-18, 21:32, edited 3 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-11-19, 00:26

Twin_Six wrote:.... NS is the prime suspect by default, right?....
Not necessarily imho --- I've saved a session that includes a tab with the NASA pic of day for today (that is "Creature Aurora Over Norway" using URL: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) and will test this tomorrow in regards to the former pic of day as contrasted to the current pic of day for tomorrow. I'm using the "Tab Set Saver" extension to save the tab session which if I'm understanding your issue correctly would presumably give me the same problem you get if NS is contributing to the problem since I'm using the same version of NS that you are -- so I'll see if I get the same problem tomorrow (if in my case the problem does not occur, that is there is no problem and the pic of day does not render today's pic, then it seems to me this would make the case that it's not likely NS related but something else unique to your environment. :think:) If I'm misunderstanding your issue then let me know....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-11-19, 08:31

^ Follow-up with comparison of Nasa's Astronomy Picture of the Day....

I don't seem to have the same issue as you have and am using the current legacy NoScript (5.1.9) build on a Windows 7 machine using the current 28.2.1 version of Pale Moon (just as you are).

Yesterday's NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day with correct (date) caption (click on screen-shots for better visibility of this):
NASA pic of day 11-18-18.png
and today's NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day with correct caption once again:
NASA pic of day 11-19-18.png
So my results would suggest that the problem you're having does not likely involve NoScript (since I am unable to duplicate the same problem on Pale Moon 28.2.1 using NoScript on a Windows 7 machine hence your issue is most likely involving either other add-on(s) or Profile setting(s) or perhaps your ISP connection etc (as opposed to NS).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-11-19, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-11-19, 08:51

^ I should add that I generally clear all cookies for all web-pages that I do not use on a regular basis (i.e. do not need cookies retained).

.... which btw is also the case for this https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html URL as well (using the "Cookies Exterminator" add-on).

Twin_Six

Unread post by Twin_Six » 2018-11-19, 10:08

Thanks to everyone for your advice. To be clear, the issue never involves pictures, only videos.

BP: ". . . Session Manager Options -> General-> Saving & Restoring -> Session Restoring -> Bypass cache . . ."
* I think that just may be it. I've set it. We'll see how it goes.

Twin_Six

Unread post by Twin_Six » 2018-11-23, 17:35

Welp, bypassing the cache didn't help my "new frame / old video" issue. From "Behind The Black", viewed today:
BtB20181122.png

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-11-24, 04:13

I'm not sure this problem is directly releated to Pale Moon or NoScript.
A screen capture from 'behind the black' site at 7:05pm, Fri. Nov.23:
FS_18 - Behind The Black I Postings By Robert Zimmerman -_.png
Screen cap. at 8:25pm, Fri. Nov.23:
FS_22 - Behind The Black I Postings By Robert Zimmerman -_.png
Finally one at 10:15pm, Fri. Nov.23.:
FS_23 - Behind The Black I Postings By Robert Zimmerman -_.png
Last edited by Frasier on 2018-11-24, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Twin_Six

Unread post by Twin_Six » 2018-11-24, 14:22

That's weird, Frasier. In my case, the offset persists until I paste the page's URL into a new tab, even a day or more later. I call it an "offset" because when the latest post for a video has the target content from one or two video posts earlier, every other video post before it does exactly likewise. (It does not matter how many all-text or text-and-image posts intervene.) Just how many "offsets" apparently depends on how many videos have been posted since I last looked at that tab.

On the one occasion that I restrained myself and restored the session daily over a few days, without replacing that tab - offset by two in the instance - until another video post was put up, the new post contained the next video in order - offset to the same degree. The rest stayed where they were.

To be clear, this persistence phenomenon happens on any tab - blog-style like BtB, or page-by-page like APoD - that presents inset videos - regardless of the source, as far as I can tell.

I have not had occasion to check whether it afflicts only my Pale Moon client. The only other browser I use these days is Vivaldi, and that not long, nor much, and not in sessions.
Last edited by Twin_Six on 2018-11-24, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2018-11-24, 15:26

Twin_Six wrote:Welp, bypassing the cache didn't help my "new frame / old video" issue. From "Behind The Black", viewed today...
I have had to do at least one hard refresh (sometime more) to get up-to-date results on some pages (i.e.Netflix Queue), and have at times even wondered if my ISP was a contributing, or even the main caching culprit. Pointing more to the challenge being strictly local, at times, the display of the same page has differed from one Profile to another, at the same time. It can be frustrating, I know!

BobbyP
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BobbyP » 2018-11-24, 15:38

Twin_Six wrote:That's weird, Frasier. In my case, the offset persists until I paste the page's URL into a new tab, even a day or more later. I call it an "offset" because when the latest post for a video has the target content from one or two video posts earlier, every other video post before it does exactly likewise. (It does not matter how many all-text or text-and-image posts intervene.) Just how many "offsets" apparently depends on how many videos have been posted since I last looked at that tab....
Well, at least it's consistent! :D And it is only videos. Perhaps this is an important clue?

Also: 1) Please try clearing all cookies for the offending site (as mentioned above by Pale Moon Rising), PRIOR to saving the Session. 2) What about with a fresh profile (zero extensions/modifications)?

Twin_Six

Video URL in source ignored

Unread post by Twin_Six » 2018-11-26, 12:13

APoD, as it opened for me this morning:
APoD20181126a.png
APoD, as in a new tab into which I copied and pasted the URL:
APoD20181126b.png
These presentations remain, just so, after I c/p'ed the new tab and subsequently refreshed the tabs, in alternation, six times each.

The tabs' source code is identical, even to the URL of the video, which is newer (correct) one. So, in the restored (cache bypassed, fwiw) version, the identity of the video explicitly called to be embedded is simply ignored - in favor of the last one used - while the text, links & etc. are up-to-date.

kujaw

Unread post by kujaw » 2019-01-06, 12:23

If I install NoScript from here (https://noscript.net/getit#classic) will it work with PM? So many topics about it and I'm confused, to be honest.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-06, 15:17

Works for me.
Frowned on in these parts.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-06, 15:46

kujaw wrote:If I install NoScript from here (https://noscript.net/getit#classic) will it work with PM? So many topics about it and I'm confused, to be honest.
Yes, the classic version targets Pale Moon and should install without a problem. You may need to manually enable it from the Add-Ons Manager first.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-06, 17:20

kujaw wrote:If I install NoScript from here (https://noscript.net/getit#classic) will it work with PM? So many topics about it and I'm confused, to be honest.
I've also been using NSv5.1.9 for quite some time and am not aware of any PM issues in my case.

Duckguy

Unread post by Duckguy » 2019-01-25, 20:15

I went to https://noscript.net/getit#classic and loaded the addon. It loads,
Noscript installation blocked.
Noscript installation blocked.
but a popup says it's blocked - "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on noscript.net." Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance. B'H.

sangheeta

Unread post by sangheeta » 2019-01-25, 20:56

Duckguy wrote:I went to https://noscript.net/getit#classic and loaded the addon. It loads,Screenshot.png but a popup says it's blocked - "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on noscript.net." Is this a known issue? Thanks in advance. B'H.
I've just tried click & install without problems for me, otherwise you can copy the link and "paste and go" in a an empty/new tab, or drag the link to the tab bar.

Duckguy

Unread post by Duckguy » 2019-01-27, 14:51

sangheeta wrote: ... click & install without problems for me ...
Good job!

For me, I had to go all the way back to version 2.9 of NoScript for Pale Moon to accept the plug-in. I'm using Pale Moon 25.8.1 (x64). You must be using the same version that is compatible with the later NoScript!! :clap: Maybe I don't have the same version as you.

I hope this helped. B'H.
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(3).png