Opening Dialog Box for PDF

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Condoman

Opening Dialog Box for PDF

Unread post by Condoman » 2018-12-19, 16:22

I am curious with an issue I have had for some time.

When a PDF file is being viewed in a web site and that site shows the PDF in a viewer it provides an option to download the file. The Opening dialog box appears and you can choose to open the PDF with your local application or to save the file. Note that I do not have the PDF add-on installed. If I choose to open with the Adobe DC reader it works fine and I can save or discard from Adobe app. If I choose to save the file it gets saved in my downloads folder without the PDF extension.

If PM knew it was a PDF and gave me the option to open in an app or save it the name must be correct on the site. Why is the extension being dropped?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Opening Dialog Box for PDF

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-19, 17:57

There might be a problem with the extension itself.
If you mean you have a plugin installed, there's also the chance the website doesn't provide the informations the plugin is looking for.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-12-19, 18:32

My guess is there's something wrong with the *.pdf file itself or it's link is modificated somehow, (edit*perhaps by the viewer embedded on that site*), so Pale Moon does not see it's a PDF file. Around 99% PDF files I save/dl do save with the proper *.pdf extender. If you (can) hover the mouse over the file download link, before starting the download, the link shown in the Status Bar should display the full filename in most cases.
If you check "Open with" in Pale Moon's dialog box and select a clear target app like Adobe Reader, it will most likely open that file even without extender. PDFXchange does that, no matter if Pale Moon does not see the file type.
Last edited by loxodont on 2018-12-19, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2018-12-19, 19:38

This is a PDF I created.

I should have added that the file is on a website that is under Wix. I was trying to keep the question somewhat generic but now know I cannot.

What I did not realize is that Adobe reader will try to open the file even if it does not have an extension if presented with the file. I just tried that by creating a .bat file with the launch of the Adobe reader followed by a PDF with no file extension and it opened fine.

I guess my question is that PM has no control over this and that is OK. Thanks

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-12-27, 09:55

Just a simple question (do tell me if you have good knowledge of windows! :) )

right click that PDF, and select 'properties' to check what it says...
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2018-12-27, 14:14

Only fair, I have been programming and supporting programmers since 1980.

If you take a PDF & remove the extension Windows knows its a file, that is about all. You can open it with Adobe however.

The Wix web site knows it is a PDF & you can see the extension. When it is downloaded the extension is missing. I needed to be sure PM was not doing anything with the file name before I complained to Wix.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-12-28, 00:12

Are you sure it's not a MIME Types issue?

Can you provide a link to the page/file in question?

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2018-12-31, 19:06

Here is a link to the page in question: https://firstselectman.wixsite.com/website-8/latest-twib.

On the toolbar 3rd icon from right is download. Try it and see if you get a file without an extension as I do. In the "Opening" dialog box it is shown to be a PDF but gets no extension when downloaded.

Let me know what you get.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-01-01, 09:48

Following those directions, the file that downloads for me is named: TWIB-12-18.pdf

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2019-01-02, 16:49

Great. I don't mind the problem if it is only me.

Any idea what could cause the difference on my machine?

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-01-02, 17:26

Frasier wrote:Following those directions, the file that downloads for me is named: TWIB-12-18.pdf
Confirmed. The downloaded file has the .pdf extension.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-01-02, 17:31

Condoman wrote:If you take a PDF & remove the extension Windows knows its a file, that is about all. You can open it with Adobe however.

I have no Adobe installed (never had) but your above statement is somehow strange.
Since the OS doesn't know the file type it also can't forward the file to the right program. To get opened by Adobe the latter would have to scan permanently your HD for every file and check the header of all files, something I doubt that it does.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-01-02, 18:47

Have you tried this yet?
[color=#40FF40]illiad[/color] wrote: right click that PDF, and select 'properties' to check what it says...
Should see something like this:
TWIB_Prop.jpg

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-01-02, 19:11

@ Frasier

Is your above post addressed to me?

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-01-02, 19:16

No, sorry. It was for Condoman.

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2019-01-02, 20:21

I used the URL from above to access the PDF. The Opening dialog box looks like this:
Capture1.JPG
After I downloaded the file the proprieties look like this:
Capture2.JPG
The other option in the Opening dialog box is to open with Adobe. I did not know Adobe would open a file without the PDF extension but it can based on this command test: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "E:\DownloadedFiles\TWIB 12-21-18". While this is interesting to me I still have no clue why the extension does not show up for me.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-01-02, 20:34

When you click 'OK' to save the file do you get a save dialogue window?
Save_TWIB_diag.png

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-01-02, 20:49

- The file on the server has the correct extension.
- Your browser is reading the extension and is asking you what to do with the file (to open it with the dedicated program or to save it).
- Once you choose to save the file, for whatever reason, the extension gets lost. Something at your end (sorry, no idea what) is messing things up.
Attachments
pdf.png

Condoman

Unread post by Condoman » 2019-01-02, 21:27

Frasier: I do not see another save dialog. The file is just saved without an extension. Same result in FireFox.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-02, 22:16

Condoman wrote:I do not see another save dialog. The file is just saved without an extension. Same result in FireFox.

I see different behavior with different downloads settings.
(both downloads initiated with direct left click.)

When downloads are set to "Always ask me where to save files", there is the 2nd, "save-as" window and the file is saved with .pdf extension.

But if downloads are set to go to a predetermined folder ("Save files to"; browser.download.useDownloadDir = true), the file downloads instantaneously and with no extension.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2019-01-02, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.