Magnify View ???

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BuckSkin

Magnify View ???

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-01, 17:58

It may be starring me right in the face; but, search as I may, I have not been able to find a magnify tool, nor a means of zooming in; can someone please enlighten me as to how to quickly easily accomplish this ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Magnify View ???

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-01, 18:13

Keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl++ (zoom in) and Ctrl+- (zoom out) Ctrl+0 (reset);
or:
Use the Zoom Controls toolbar button found in the customize palette;
or:
depress Ctrl while using the mousewheel;
or:
View (menu) > Zoom > Zoom In (or) Zoom Out
(Alt+V to display the View menu)
menu-zoom.png

BuckSkin

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-01, 21:00

coffeebreak wrote:Keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl++ (zoom in) and Ctrl+- (zoom out) Ctrl+0 (reset);
or:
Use the Zoom Controls toolbar button found in the customize palette;
or:
depress Ctrl while using the mousewheel;
or:
View (menu) > Zoom > Zoom In (or) Zoom Out
(Alt+V to display the View menu)
menu-zoom.png
Thanks ! That looks simple enough.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2019-01-02, 10:44

You may consider also the NoSquint add-on
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-02, 12:08

I use the NoSquint addon. Been using it for many years. Great for people with poor eyesight. And it remembers the settings too so you don't have to reset it everytime you go back to a site which it has been set for.

As an example, for the Pale Moon forums site using NoSquint, I have this site set for 125%. Another nice bonus, NoSquint has 5% up or down increments. The link to NoSquint 2.2.2 is below.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/nosquint/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-02, 13:54

Night Wing wrote:And it remembers the settings too so you don't have to reset it everytime you go back to a site which it has been set for.
Pale Moon itself also remembers its zoom setting per-site. You don't need an extension for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-02, 15:03

Moonchild wrote:
Night Wing wrote:And it remembers the settings too so you don't have to reset it everytime you go back to a site which it has been set for.
Pale Moon itself also remembers its zoom setting per-site. You don't need an extension for that.
Pale Moon does not have 5% increments, increase or decrease, for adjustment like NoSquint has. Also, it may remember the settings, but once you quit Pale Moon and restart the browser, it does not remember the settings.

I will add this caveat. Pale Moon does not remember the settings on my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce which I use on my four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). This is the reason why I use NoSquint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2019-01-02, 18:05

Night Wing wrote:Pale Moon does not have 5% increments, increase or decrease, for adjustment like NoSquint has.
about:config toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues - you can set any magnification values you want (also: zoom.minPercent and zoom.maxPercent).
Night Wing wrote:Also, it may remember the settings, but once you quit Pale Moon and restart the browser, it does not remember the settings.
It is working fine on my setup (Win7 x64 HP, PM 28.2.2 x64). :think:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-02, 20:00

Kerebron wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Pale Moon does not have 5% increments, increase or decrease, for adjustment like NoSquint has.
about:config toolkit.zoomManager.zoomValues - you can set any magnification values you want (also: zoom.minPercent and zoom.maxPercent).
Night Wing wrote:Also, it may remember the settings, but once you quit Pale Moon and restart the browser, it does not remember the settings.
It is working fine on my setup (Win7 x64 HP, PM 28.2.2 x64). :think:
The average user usually looks under View in the Menu Bar, if one is using the Menu Bar like I do, for those percentage settings to increase or decrease the view percentages. Under View; when the context menu shows up, hovering over Zoom, in my linux 64 bit Pale Moon 28.2.2, I've got: (Full Zoom In, Full Zoom Out) without the parentheses. That is it.

One other item, the average user isn't going to go into "about:config" and know the exact codes you posted. The code you posted (minPercent & maxPercent), this is the first time I've ever seen it. In other words, not everyone using Pale Moon is a power user. I'm not a power user. Just a non-technical user.

I've got an experimental laptop with two hard drives, a default 64 bit linux Mint hard drive and a backup 64 bit Windows 7 hard drive. First, I'll boot up my linux hard drive using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. I'll play around with these code settings (minPercent & maxPercent) without the two parentheses and see if they fit my needs. If so, then the code settings can replace my NoSquint extension for linux Pale Moon.

If the settings work, then I'll boot up my experimental 64 bit Windows 7 hard drive which is using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.2.2 and see if they work as well. If they do, then I can abandon my NoSquint extension for Pale Moon in both linux and windows.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-02, 20:14

Night Wing wrote:it may remember the settings, but once you quit Pale Moon and restart the browser, it does not remember the settings.

It works fine for me too.
The browser forgetting the settings is caused by NoSquint, which turns off the browser's ability to remember them.

For the browser to be able to set persistent site-specific zoom settings,
the preference browser.zoom.siteSpecific needs to be set to true (the default value).

When NoSquint is installed, it changes that preference to false.
(It's taking over management of the zoom function, after all.)
Trying to reset the preference by hand produces a warning:
nosquint-zoom-override.png
If NoSquint is diabled or uninstalled, that preference is reset to true, and the browser regains the ability to set persistent site-specific zoom values.

Any zoom settings created before NoSquint was installed will still be there, stored in your profile, so long as you didn't choose to clear 'Site Preferences' if you cleared History.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2019-01-02, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-02, 20:18

@ coffeebreak

Thanks for detailed explanation. It is much appreciated by me. :thumbup:

BuckSkin

Unread post by BuckSkin » 2019-01-03, 07:38

coffeebreak wrote: Use the Zoom Controls toolbar button found in the customize palette
Where do I find this customize palette?

Thanks.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-01-03, 09:49

BuckSkin wrote:Where do I find this customize palette?
Right-click on a blank area of the tab bar, menu bar or the status bar, then select 'Customize' from the context menu.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-03, 10:09

Frasier beat me to it. :)

In addition, the customize palette can be displayed via:

View (menu) > Toolbars > Customize
cust-palette1.png
or the Pale Moon button > Preferences > Toolbar Layout
cust-palette2.png