Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Building a Pale Moon fork for Windows XP

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-02, 00:38

visionhelp wrote:Where may I note problems, please ? In a new topic here, in Development (discussion) ?
Please use the issue tracker on GitHub for the version you are using. We prefer not to have bug reports and support topics for these versions in this forum since they are third-party ans do not have our support. I'll be more than happy to direct people to a better place like their own forum (wink wink nudge nudge) if they actually care to set one up, but for the moment nothing of the sort is available, so the github tracker is what you'll have to use..
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-01-04, 04:14

Thanks You very much for Your answer.

Does not make it easier, but clear.

I am trieing to stop me asking You for a link to there.
But this question must not be addressed to You, sorry. OK ?

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-01-17, 18:34

Regarding mypal forks go to
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues
You can make posts an other the most forum things.

Regarding roytam1 forks go to
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my- ... /?page=100
This is actually a forum.

Can this somehow to be put sticked?

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-01-18, 10:36

Thanks a lot.

To Your answer:
perhaps under ´Development (discussion)´ You can make a topic
"Pale Moon fork XP - Support-Links" or/and for similar and this can be made to ´Sticky´.

And the version names and numbers to which support-link, please. (Then all is for in one view.) Thanks.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-02-02, 23:42

Please.
Google recaptcha verified fix (2018.08.24) for all browser design for XP: New Moon SEE 27.8.0a1+ XP, New Moon 27.9.1a1 + XP, Mypal 27.9.4 + XP, K-Meleon 76.0 (20180818) + XP
- Test: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo https://patrickhlauke.github.io/recaptcha
- about:config dom.messageChannel.enabled true
How to create "dom ...", because does not exist, in 27.7.1, thanks.
(For registration at GitHub (the ´Verify Account´, I hope), for question there for Mypal 28.3.1.; before installation.)

bbUser123

Unread post by bbUser123 » 2019-05-23, 15:41

I need more detailed assistance, PLEASE.

I have tried for SEVERAL weeks on building a New Moon version 28.2.2 for WinXP and the instructions are simply NOT detailed enough for a first-time beginner.

Can anybody please offer some more precise details on just HOW to compile a New Moon version 28.2.2 ???
I realize that we have RoyTam New Moon releases each and every week and we have Feodor Mypal releases - but I would really like to build my own version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-23, 18:54

We do not support Windows XP on a base code level so even if we provided hand-holding class of support for building yourself, which we don't, we cannot support building for Windows XP in any form.

Please don't come back until you use an operating system and target that isn't older than a decade.

Good day, sir.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-05-31, 05:21

I tried to contact bbUser123 via mail and PM. Both does not seem to work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-31, 10:24

visionhelp wrote:
2019-05-31, 05:21
That is because the user has not been back since registering and making their post. I also doubt their e-mail address is actually being checked or being anything more than a sham, considering the domain is a parked domain and email addresses at that domain are primarily used by shell accounts on fora and on websites for creating new accounts that have 1 or 2 posts before being abandoned.

Just having mail from a parked domain is already suspect and grounds for banning, but I tend to err on the side of caution.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-06-01, 20:49

OK.
Thanks a lot these infos.

A parked domain ..., then he might have received my mail ...
I just had to wonder about not receiving the copy (of my mail), already.
OK. So what.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-09-23, 19:03

Building a PM fork for XP is almost the same as building a fork for ReactOS and with that in mind a small note to let anyone interested know that ReactOS 0.4.12 was released today, https://reactos.org/project-news/reactos-0412-released. Might be worth testing...
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2019-09-23, 22:37

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
2019-09-23, 19:03
Building a PM fork for XP is almost the same as building a fork for ReactOS and with that in mind a small note to let anyone interested know that ReactOS 0.4.12 was released today, https://reactos.org/project-news/reactos-0412-released. Might be worth testing...
IIRC ROS still has problem running programs compiled with VC > 2013, don't know if they fixed this problem or not.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-09-24, 08:16

roytam1 wrote:
2019-09-23, 22:37
IIRC ROS still has problem running programs compiled with VC > 2013, don't know if they fixed this problem or not.
If you don't know then it might be something to test so you do know.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-24, 08:26

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
2019-09-24, 08:16
If you don't know then it might be something to test so you do know.
Tested. MyPal 28.* refuses to run on ROS 0.4.12.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-09-24, 08:38

I'll get them to add Palemoon to the testing list. Firefox is there, PM/MyPal should be there and it might get PM some love. Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable is already in the list, installed but not tested. PM stands a chance of working as the NT6 compatibility is added and MyPal should be a runner at some point.

https://reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.12

bbUser1234

Unread post by bbUser1234 » 2019-10-10, 14:40

visionhelp wrote:
2019-05-31, 05:21
visionhelp,

I'm still very much interested in your reply.
I lost my login and had to create a new account but "bbUser123" and "bbUser1234" are both me.

Apologies for leaving too quickly the first time, but the very next reply to my original post (ie, "Please don't come back") wasn't exactly very 'inviting'.

I look forward to your assistance, many thanks in advance.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-10-13, 11:25

Thanks, bbUser1234.

I wrote PM.

I am not quite sure about talking here about Your - so-called - PM-fork.
Currently I use Pale Moon 28.3.0a1, XP-MOD.
It works well, despite some little problems with some certain functions on some web-sites. (But mostly from ´Script On´ required wanted. Which I basically denie.)
FB works.
Youtube works.
TV the sound does not work ... too slow; driver for graphics-card is told, but I do not use TV on PC currently. (NewMoon did work the sound.)

(So far for now.) Best Regards.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-12-04, 18:23

Pale Moon 28.3.0a1, XP-MOD is one of my last running Browser on XP.

Does it well, except of Facebook now.

I need a newer version. But do not know where to search. Somewhere should be a link to find in the browser itself. Sorry.

OK to post still here ? Thanks a lot.
Else, my apologize, please.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-04, 18:51

I'm not sure who builds/releases the "XP-MOD" version of Pale Moon.

Maybe it would be helpful if people let me know which versions there are, who builds them, what their general usability is, and having links to the necessary web pages for them, and I can make a sticky out of it as a courtesy to people who for one reason or another are forced to use a more than 5 year unsupported O.S. and want to take the (IMO disproportionate) risk of running it with internet access.

visionhelp

Unread post by visionhelp » 2019-12-08, 14:01

Thank you very much.
This offer and the support from this to the reasons, for XP will be my last windows-version. (All the changings with from version to version are years of works for me.
This I can not and I do not want to stand anymore.

If the - for example - Knoppix-version of Linux would be easily to install on a drive - it is not getting really better, as far as I am watching it ... and watching means doing, trying: again and again ... - I could leave windows easily behind me, but it is not.)

I use Avast working for XP.
And a firewall, which I have to switch off - for at least calling the first URL after the connection to internet is activated, else this URL will not open ... with all the last versions of PaleMoon - just as note, please.
(Wheter this is the firewall recommended to change or to change something in PaleMoon - the versions for XP - I do not have to talk with, when this firewall is called too old and I am told to change the firewall. No THANKS. Else this very old firewall works very well for me.

By roytam1 https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part-2/
current version - Dec 8th 2019 - file-name:
palemoon-28.8.0a1.win32-git-20191130-013ef52ed-xpmod.7z

By Feodor2 https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
current version - Dec. 8th 2019 - file-name:
mypal-28.7.2.win32.installer.exe