Changing color of visited hyperlinks

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
floatingkeyboards

Changing color of visited hyperlinks

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2018-12-26, 01:53

Is there a way to set the color of the font for hyperlinks that I have already visited?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Changing color of visited hyperlinks

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-12-26, 01:59

Preferences > Content tab > Colors button > Look under "Link Colors" for the Visited Links option.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-12-26, 12:57

It’s worth noting that most web sites override the user’s settings for link colors and make it impossible to see where you have already been. But if you use certain slylish (stylem) themes, or for example the Advanced Night Mode addon, then you will be able to see different colors.

Edit: you can also try setting "Override the colors specified by the page" to "Always" but I doubt you’ll be happy with the results.
Last edited by tooshorttoolong on 2018-12-26, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2018-12-27, 10:35

tooshorttoolong wrote:It’s worth noting that most web sites override the user’s settings for link colors and make it impossible to see where you have already been.
This problem can be solved with the help of NoSquint that provides some extra settings on per site basis.

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-12-27, 11:18

Konrad wrote: This problem can be solved with the help of NoSquint that provides some extra settings on per site basis.
Nice, I didn’t know that NoSquint also did that, but I don’t want it to interfere with my zoom settings (Pale Moon already remembers zoom settings per site, so I don’t understand what NoSquint solves here).

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2018-12-27, 12:07

tooshorttoolong wrote:...I don’t understand what NoSquint solves here.
Web sites do not override one’s colour preferences for visited/unvisited links set up in NoSquint.
tooshorttoolong wrote:I don’t want it to interfere with my zoom settings (Pale Moon already remembers zoom settings per site...)
You can use either Pale Moon or this extension for zoom settings. It’s up to you.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-12-27, 12:21

NoSquint also allows you to modify the entire page zoom level like Pale Moon or just the text zoom level for a page.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-12-27, 18:23

I find that userContent.css works for that. I also set a hover colour for links, and changed the colour of javascript links as well, to make them stand out.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-27, 18:59

Goodydino wrote:I find that userContent.css works for that. I also set a hover colour for links, and changed the colour of javascript links as well, to make them stand out.
What did you add for this hover and javascript. Have used usercontent.css to change visited links for about 15 years now.
TIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2018-12-29, 20:59

billmcct wrote:What did you add for this hover and javascript. Have used usercontent.css to change visited links for about 15 years now.
TIA
/* Make javascript links red */
a[href^="javascript:"] { color: #990000 !important}

/* Change cursor for JavaScript links */
a[href^="javascript:"] {cursor: move !important;}
or
a[href^="javascript:"] {cursor: help !important;}

Hover tip and much more here:
https://luke-baker.github.io/chrome/use ... colors.css

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2018-12-30, 04:48

Konrad wrote:This problem can be solved with the help of NoSquint that provides some extra settings on per site basis.
NoSquint seems like a nice enough solution to get parts of the issue done well.

In my Linux GUI I always choose a dark theme (dark or even black background with very light text), and mostly I enforced the same colour sheme by having [Always] set to my predefined background, text, links, visited links colours in any browser that allows me doing so, like Palemoon for Firefox.

But,. as some of you might know, this has some downsides as well since some graphical button elements are not displayed properly and all I get is a black clickable area on black background for such button element, which, understandably enough, makes it quite hard to find or to use/actually click on.

But NoSquint seems to have at least two issues with setting my colours I was not able to figure out how to solve.

Any editing area like a <form><textarea> one, e.g. the one I am currently typing this reply into, has white background and black text, but I want that editing area also to have reverse colour scheme, aka black background and a very light coloured text of my choosing.
How do I set that for all web pages? I do not find any such setting entry in NoSquint's main menu {NoSquint Site Settings}[Global Settings]

Do I need to have this set in usercontent.css because NoSquint is unable to, well, NoSquint any and all edit areas of the browser?

Unlike my home-grown solution of enforcing my colour scheme on all web pages as described above, NoSquint makes the same error in displaying stuff in black on black.
E.g. PM's very own http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ page.
WIth my enforced colour settings I can read this:
Color my tabs
Color your tabs reactively to their favicons.
but with my settings disabled and letting NoSquint do the colouring job instead, all I can read is this:
Color my tabs

Update
And it is even worse than that as described in #2. The webmail interface of my email provider lists all entries of the Inbox, the subject and writers email address and date info, or in short: all info listed, as black on black only.
Even enabling my enforced "Preferences / Contents {colours} -> Override [always]" colour settings not helps with this example, even then the email listing is only black in black.
Only disabling NoSquint and only using my enforced colour settings is solving the black on black email listing issue, and I need to restart the browser each time to be able to read the email header listings at all, so all in all, for now NoSquint is unusable to me. :( :shock:
yours truly, Rava

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-12-30, 21:53

Sounds like JustOff's Avanced Night Mode extension might be the solution for you.
PostReply.png

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2018-12-30, 22:47

Frasier wrote:Sounds like JustOff's Avanced Night Mode extension might be the solution for you
That looks nice indeed, but what I don't get is this:
In its global settings, I defined the default background as black, aka #000000, still, only some border elements on most pages are displayed in black, most larger, inner elements are displayed in some kind of dark grey-blue, and I don't see a setting where to define that.
yours truly, Rava

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-30, 22:51

letmeindude wrote:
billmcct wrote:What did you add for this hover and javascript. Have used usercontent.css to change visited links for about 15 years now.
TIA
/* Make javascript links red */
a[href^="javascript:"] { color: #990000 !important}

/* Change cursor for JavaScript links */
a[href^="javascript:"] {cursor: move !important;}
or
a[href^="javascript:"] {cursor: help !important;}

Hover tip and much more here:
https://luke-baker.github.io/chrome/use ... colors.css
@letmeindude thanks for the info.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-12-31, 06:58

Raava wrote:I defined the default background as black, aka #000000, still, only some border elements on most pages are displayed in black
Haven't duplicated this, as of yet. Was wondering which of the settings is being used as the 'Default method of changing page colors'?
Global_ANM.png
ANM_Select_op.png

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2018-12-31, 09:24

Frasier wrote:
Raava wrote:I defined the default background as black, aka #000000, still, only some border elements on most pages are displayed in black
Haven't duplicated this, as of yet. Was wondering which of the settings is being used as the 'Default method of changing page colors'?
Global_ANM.pngANM_Select_op.png
Same as you, as it seems:
(*) default and
[Stylesheet processor]
yours truly, Rava