I cannot use the File/Print or File/Print Preview I get unspecified error

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Harvest Moon

I cannot use the File/Print or File/Print Preview I get unspecified error

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2018-12-26, 09:34

Hi everyone!

I hope I copied the listing from the instructions of how to post properly as its been a year or more since I asked for assistance .

Sorry....I feel like the guy from " the Windows 10 . it stinks"
"Im on a new box with Windows 10. It stinks".
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20945

(not my exact problem but I feel in sympathy for the guy like me who does not know anything yet about Windows 10)
post as I'm not used to everything going on in Windows 10 yet...and maybe its my own inexperience with Windows 10
(Will take me years to learn this...they don't make those books like I used to use to speed me up on learning systems)....

1. I copied this stuff here...
When you ask for support, try to give at least basic information about your setup as well, since there are many different systems out there and many different possible setups of Pale Moon.

Please provide the following important details: copy the contents of Help->Troubleshooting information... (button "Copy text to clipboard") and paste it in your post. If you do this, please use the bulletin board's HIDE tag to prevent the post from creating a huge chunk of website space.
I don't know where the "HIDE" button is to save PMB drive space...but it has so few items here I must not have copied the REAL troubleshooting code from behind the scenes of using PMB that everyone would like to unhide and examine for errors...
So again apologies if this post is not 100% ready for posting!

2. Here is what I did copy and answer:
Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: 28.2.2 for 64 bit
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64x bit
Problem URL: does not matter---all are refusing to print--even a topic from Pale Moon Browser that I wanted to refer to in my post, I can't print it and not good enough using Windows 10 to copy it over without reading it from a printed page! sorry for being dumb on Windows 10
Theme: none!
Installed extensions: None--would like to do whatever I had in my Windows 7 but big box store refuses to copy over programming only data saved from Windows 7 refusing to boot up.
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) I don't remember using any of these but same as above: None--would like to do whatever I had in my Windows 7 but big box store refuses to copy over programming only data saved from Windows 7 refusing to boot up.

3. I think it would be helpful to know:
Its older 2010 laptop that used to run Windows 7 until it became too corrupt to boot up
Big Box Store (Best Buy's Geek Squad) rescued the "data" and reset it all up with Sony Drivers (its a Sony laptop) into Windows 10--big jump but I had nothing else as no touch screen to migrate this to.
i5 Intel chip with full 8GB RAM and everything else checked out OK when I took laptop back and started trying to use it.

4. As the title of this post refers to the problem:
: I cannot use the File/Print or File/Print Preview I get unspecified error
I hope this works on your BB
I hope this works on your BB
I don't know which of so many systems to contact...since it happens mainly in your browser's File menu...
I contact you first to see if its a known issue
(I checked the FAQ and known issues first...I don't see it but again I"m not good at figuring out the code references to what is going on behind the fancy GUI of PMB screens).

5. I can print from any OLD data file I have...I can print from any OLD program, from anything on the printer HP OfficeJet 8710 front screen....
So its not a HP Printer problem as it works off its own tiny screen perfectly as its supposed to.

6. I tried the "HP Support icons and HP print doctor" there on my desktop screen...
All of them reported back no issues so nothing to "troubleshoot" and my searching of those HP FAQ files for this problem gave me no solutions...
So before I call HP itself and have to pay $____ per minute for an out of warranty machine to explore what is going on...
I'd thought I'd ask and see if its something new going on with any interaction between PMB and latest Windows 10 updates and what I got installed.

7. I included a screen shot in number 3 above, of what I see in terms of error (for example trying to print from this forum! That should work...but it does not anymore!

[Windows 10 rant]
It used to work.... I have not installed much except whatever stupid auto-updates Windows 10 is doing---I want to reset it to "notify" me first like Windows 7 did but I have "Control Panel" visible to me...but its so different with the tiles and apps I'm just totally lost and want my Windows 7 back (Trying to get Oracle Virtual Box---but don't get confused...Not yet installed it as having other problems I'm trying to fix before I save everything and then install "new" programs that I miss using from Windows 7---so pretty empty box---does nothing much but throw those splash screens of photos from all over the world "Do you like this" from Microsoft and lots of tiles that I have no idea how to move or edit or nothing so I dismiss that page early on (NO I don't want to change to Windows 7 theme or something like that...I have to become MODERN person and learn to live with tiles and Windows themes that use apps etc etc so leaving it all working until I learn what to do with the stuff!
OK, Slight Windows 10 rant is over! :) ]

8. So any suggestions on what I need to do or show everyone here at PMB Forum next?

Thanks
Happy Holidays to all!
Harvest Moon
Last edited by Harvest Moon on 2018-12-26, 09:41, edited 3 times in total.

Harvest Moon

Re: I cannot use the File/Print or File/Print Preview I get unspecified error

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2018-12-26, 19:00

JustOff wrote:Have you tried this suggestion?
Hi JustOff!

Thanks for such a speedy response!

Thanks for finding what I could not!

Maybe I didn't "do" it right...

Tried to follow suggestion.

Opened up a brand new PMB Session using right click and "Run as Administrator"
Menu asked me "are you sure"? Yes!

I copied over a few of the links I was trying to print in past week or so..
I get the same error--occurred while printing (Of course I get "something" else in a tiny window before the one I showed everyone---but didn't want to confuse it on my first post....

That tiny window is trying to do "Preview" but I can't read it if it vanishes into dust on the screen to be replaced by the "error" and no error number that I posted in my first post above...so I can't read it or pause it long enough to take a screen shot...I've had this with other questions for this and other forums...In Windows 7 I had a button to do "slower step by step" program results...but in Windows 10 they took away Control Panel (I got something back from the "Dummies" book...but it is not 100% Windows 7 control panel so I am unable to get back my "show step by step what is going on " bug removal --I think that is what it is used for professionally but again it means this question will have expanded into more of a tutorial how to make Windows 10 more like Window 7......I lost a lot of things....

Thanks for trying...

Let me know if I did anything wrong..

(Didn't look for TEMP folder as that is a big problem with me... when I "touch" permissions
I don't know what the _______ I'm doing so I mess it up so badly I need help...then they "fix it" and I go back home again and only to find I've messed up the permissions again

Honestly! Unless a new program did something.. I have not touched permissions at all! I stay far away from there!

Thanks for reading my problem(s)!

P.S. By the way---you are fast! You made a lot of add ons!

I'm always attracted by what they can do! But again I live where I always grab too many third party items over the years until I learned just don't touch anything....if it ain't broke...don't try to make it better....
So I use PMB (and in fact every browser or other program) As is....
And suffer the loss of additional flexibility and functionality! :(

Harvest Moon

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-12-26, 20:19

I'm afraid you can not do without manipulating the TEMP folder and its permissions.

Here are the guides that can help you:

1) How to Move Windows’ Temporary Folders to Another Drive
2) How to Take Ownership of a Folder in Windows 10 Using File Explorer

I'm not sure you need to move the TEMP folder or taking ownership over it is enough. Perhaps someone else who owns an HP printer can clarify this.

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2019-01-02, 06:17

Hi everyone!

I wrote this in the other posting about sluggish PMB I've been recently posting in

so sharing this thought here...

As to why this post is still "open" and not "solved" yet...

Here is what I wrote: (modified for posting here)

I may have solved the not printing problem...but haven't had the computer on for long enough to lose printing ability in PMB so I have not marked this thread as solved until I have time[/color] and a purpose in the new year to keep running the computer (just running it does nothing..you have to actively be typing or doing "stuff" cut and paste, moving files etc on PMB itself ...to lose the printing function...

(I may not have mentioned it earlier but using other programs like a word processor for hours and hours does not make it lose printing ability...just when using PMB depending upon active usage time does that..maybe its that memory inflation? But none of the other signs of losing memory or losing screen or warning lights or menus pop up so it can't be memory inflation problem I had back in Windows 7....)

Harvest Moon

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2019-01-04, 18:35

oops I waited too long to fix the above post:

Here is link to : "Pale Moon becoming more sluggish as day progresses?" Thread;

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20882