New Tab problems after update

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Aeturnalis

New Tab problems after update

Unread post by Aeturnalis » 2018-12-24, 00:49

After installing the update 2018.12.18, when I open a new tab, it just shows a blank page and my only other option is top sites?

The previous version opened the homepage when I opened a new tab, and I had my homepage set to FVD Speed Dial, so it was very convenient. What happened, and how do I fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: New Tab problems after update

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-24, 11:24

Aeturnalis wrote:The previous version opened the homepage when I opened a new tab, and I had my homepage set to FVD Speed Dial, so it was very convenient.

The setting to open new tabs showing the "FVD Speed Dial" comes from the extension itself; fyi Basilisk doesn't have a setting to open new tabs with the home page (it would take another extension to get that function).

What version of FVD Speed Dial do you have installed?
It's possible that the extension updated to a version that doesn't work with Basilisk.
(Look at its entry in the Add-ons Manager, about:addons, click where it says 'More'.)

I just installed v23.3.1 of FVD Speed Dial (the last purely xul version) to current Basilisk and it did display in new tabs so long as the extension was set to do that: (Settings > Appearance tab > tick the box for "Enable Speed Dial in new tab")
fvd-settings.png
However later versions of the extension, though they did install, didn't work.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-12-24, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

Aeturnalis

Unread post by Aeturnalis » 2018-12-24, 13:54

My FVD Speed Dial is v67.6.9, which i believe is the current version (I uninstalled it and reinstalled it when it stopped working). I had it set to not auto-update because the last time it did, it lost all of my custom dial images. This version does not have the option to open speed dial in new tab, and i believe i must have been at a later version that what you suggested before uninstalling it, which is likely why I had it set to go to home page, and had my homepage set to the speed dial.

I did find a work around, by using a pale moon extension called "Tab Mix Plus." My concern is that I'm using a pale moon extension in basilisk to make a firefox extension work lol it seems like only a matter of time before there are fresh new issues with that level of mayhem.

If all else fails, i'll attempt to revert to the older version of speed dial. Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it :)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-24, 15:39

Aeturnalis wrote:My concern is that I'm using a pale moon extension in basilisk to make a firefox extension work lol it seems like only a matter of time before there are fresh new issues with that level of mayhem.

I would also be concerned about privacy,
having read through FVD's policy and looked at prefs that it stores in the browser's profile.

FVD Speed Dial stores the following In the browser's profile, inside the \browser-extension-data directory:
\pavel.sherbakov@gmail.com\storage.js

The storage.js file can be opened with a text editor and found to contain this preference: "prefs.sd.display_superfish":true,
(and AFAICS nowhere in the UI to turn it off)

If you'd care to look at altenatives, there are several other speed dial extensions listed on APMO.