Ublock Origin Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Octopuss

Ublock Origin

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-07, 11:19

Is there any way the proper Ublock Origin could be ported to PM? It seems like what works is a version from some years ago that hasn't really been developed since while the current version that works in the new Firefox has tons of new features and stuff.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Ublock Origin

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-12-07, 11:28

Octopuss wrote:...seems like what works is a version from some years ago that hasn't really been developed since...
Have you tried this tutorial?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19024#p140212
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-12-07, 11:30, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-12-07, 12:02

Octopuss wrote:Is there any way the proper Ublock Origin could be ported to PM?
Whatever you mean by "proper", uBlock Origin has a legacy version that works perfectly with Pale Moon.
Octopuss wrote:It seems like what works is a version from some years ago that hasn't really been developed since while the current version that works in the new Firefox has tons of new features and stuff.
Let us know what those "tons" of new features and "stuff" are. It would be nice if you'd enumerate them...

BTW, the latest legacy addon of uBlock Origin is 1.16.4.6 and was released few days ago, Dec 4, 2018.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-12-07, 13:13

You should also install this addon to keep uBlock origen updated.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-07, 20:47

gepus wrote:
Octopuss wrote:Is there any way the proper Ublock Origin could be ported to PM?
Whatever you mean by "proper", uBlock Origin has a legacy version that works perfectly with Pale Moon.
Octopuss wrote:It seems like what works is a version from some years ago that hasn't really been developed since while the current version that works in the new Firefox has tons of new features and stuff.
Let us know what those "tons" of new features and "stuff" are. It would be nice if you'd enumerate them...

BTW, the latest legacy addon of uBlock Origin is 1.16.4.6 and was released few days ago, Dec 4, 2018.
Yes, the legacy version. There hasn't been any real development on it since, I don't know, ages ago I guess.

I don't know about any specifics, but when I look at changelog at Github, it certainly appears the "regular" version for current Firefox receiving significant updates.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-12-08, 00:51

Octopuss wrote:when I look at changelog at Github, it certainly appears the "regular" version for current Firefox receiving significant updates.
Yeah, the last Lagacy update was only released because I specifically requested it here:
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock- ... -444121835
gorhill was very helpful though, and pushed the update right away!

He has already made it clear, that the Legacy branch won't receive any new features, but will be limited to bug fixes only.
I must adimit, that I initially though this ment that those bug fixes would be ported "automatically".
But unfortunately, things appears to have turned out differently.

I guess what we need is somone who knows a thing or two about this stuff, to look through the changelogs..
There might be more fixes available, which can be directly ported, without too much hassle.
If done properly, gorhill will probably accept most fixes that someone can come up with for the Lagacy branch.

Perhaps joe04 would be willing to take a shot at it, considering that he has already made a uBO fork in the past?
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-12-08, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-12-08, 10:50

I recalled (vaguely) a post made by gorhill stating that the "legacy" version is already "fully-featured" compared to the WX versions (API restrictions and stuffs), hence his reason for focusing on bringing features for FF & Chrome users.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-12-08, 12:47

hujan86 wrote:I recalled (vaguely) a post made by gorhill stating that the "legacy" version is already "fully-featured" compared to the WX versions (API restrictions and stuffs), hence his reason for focusing on bringing features for FF & Chrome users.
Exactly.
Take the WebExtension with "tons of new features and stuff" and compare it to the Legacy version which hasn't seen development since "ages".
Because of the API restrictions imposed on WebExtensions, the Legacy addon will outperform at any rate (e.g. faster, no nerving reloads and usable in private mode browsing as well).
Last edited by gepus on 2018-12-08, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-12-08, 15:06

gepus wrote:Because of the API restrictions imposed on WebExtensions, the Legacy addon will outperform at any rate (e.g. faster, no nerving reloads and usable in private mode browsing as well).
Regardlessly, like I pointed out in my previous post; there might be some fixes available that the Legacy branch could benefit from too.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-12-08, 23:16

gepus wrote:
hujan86 wrote:I recalled (vaguely) a post made by gorhill stating that the "legacy" version is already "fully-featured" compared to the WX versions (API restrictions and stuffs), hence his reason for focusing on bringing features for FF & Chrome users.
Exactly.
Take the WebExtension with "tons of new features and stuff" and compare it to the Legacy version which hasn't seen development since "ages".
Because of the API restrictions imposed on WebExtensions, the Legacy addon will outperform at any rate (e.g. faster, no nerving reloads and usable in private mode browsing as well).
Oh, ok. I had no idea.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-12-09, 11:28

gepus wrote:
Exactly.
BTW, the WebExt version seems not working well on local files (file:///).

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-12-10, 11:30

billmcct wrote:You should also install this addon to keep uBlock origen updated.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/
This extension is useless if the latest ublock origin does not run on palemoon.I see absolutely no reason why an extension should be used when you can simply update on the github page.Im using the latest "legacy" version and it runs fine in palemoon.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-12-10, 11:49

Moonraker wrote:This extension is useless if the latest ublock origin does not run on palemoon.I see absolutely no reason why an extension should be used when you can simply update on the github page.Im using the latest "legacy" version and it runs fine in palemoon.
It isn't useless when uBlock Origin Legacy still gets updates and you don't want to constantly go to the page and scroll down until you find out whether or not you have the latest update. Maybe you enjoy doing that, but most people would rather that process be automatic.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-12-10, 12:33

Cassette wrote:
Moonraker wrote:This extension is useless if the latest ublock origin does not run on palemoon.I see absolutely no reason why an extension should be used when you can simply update on the github page.Im using the latest "legacy" version and it runs fine in palemoon.
It isn't useless when uBlock Origin Legacy still gets updates and you don't want to constantly go to the page and scroll down until you find out whether or not you have the latest update. Maybe you enjoy doing that, but most people would rather that process be automatic.
Thank you for your reply.Incidentally your reply would have more creedence if the updates were quite regular and it should be pointed out that gorhill will eventually stop supporting the legacy version and will proceed forthwith with the firefox version.Im sure your aware of this so in this context this extension will indeed become redundant.

Pale moon 29.4.1

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-10, 17:24

Moonraker wrote:... gorhill will eventually stop supporting the legacy version and will proceed forthwith with the firefox version.Im sure your aware of this so in this context this extension will indeed become redundant.

That is not correct.

Gorhill changed that decision. Creating a separate legacy branch was a product of his decision to continue support.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-12-10, 20:04

coffeebreak wrote:
Moonraker wrote:... gorhill will eventually stop supporting the legacy version and will proceed forthwith with the firefox version.Im sure your aware of this so in this context this extension will indeed become redundant.

That is not correct.

Gorhill changed that decision. Creating a separate legacy branch was a product of his decision to continue support.
How long do you think the legacy versions will receive trivial fixes.?.It will only be a temporary solution.

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-10, 20:10

I been saying that for three years.. Perhaps my constant expectation for uBlock Pale Moon users being shafted has kept Gorhill from doing it overtly. However, he has little reason to bother continuing with the XUL version since XUL is all but gone from Firefox now.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-10, 21:31

I sense a tag team here. :P
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I been saying that for three years..

Tobin, I don't say what follows lightly:

My observation is that you've made vicious, vitriolic posts against uBlock Origin for years,
and you've made it clear in every way, for years, that you hate this adblocker and aim to discourage people from using it.

I can only say that I don't share your opinion of uBlock Origin or its developer, and am greatful to have and use uBO.
Moonraker wrote:How long do you think the legacy versions will receive trivial fixes.?.It will only be a temporary solution.
Indefinitely.

I base my expectations on Gorhill's statement and character, both of which I trust.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-10, 22:56

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-10, 23:56

Please leave off this war you're waging.
What you link to is from three years ago, posted August 25, 2015.

Gorhill's decision to continue support for legacy uBlock Origin was made this year, posted on GitHub April 27, 2018.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/3666#issuecomment-384944826

As said before, I base my own expectations on the recent statement. I trust the statement and its maker.