Retrieve bookmarks from old installation files for a fresh install

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
morri

Retrieve bookmarks from old installation files for a fresh install

Unread post by morri » 2018-12-04, 13:38

Hi

Recently my hard drive(external) and after that my laptop had some issues which resulted in a fresh install of my OS and pale moon respectively. I could still access my external hard drive and my laptop's partitions via testdisk and live cd image respectively so i could back up my stuff on fresh external hard drive.
I have got (on my work laptop) similar bookmarks,(same file as on my previous installation from earlier this year) so I imported them in the mean time for my fresh install but I wondered whether there was a possibility to extract /find a file in the pale moon folders(that I copied from my old installation onto my new external HD) which keeps the bookmarks so I could replace it in my current palemoon installation files .
Last edited by morri on 2018-12-04, 13:46, edited 5 times in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Retrieve bookmarks from old installation files for a fresh install

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-12-04, 14:55

If you had installed FEBE as Addon you could have backed-up the bookmarks etc. in the old installation, and retrieve them in the new.
When I recently helped a friend to upgrade from PM25 to PM28, I installed him FEBE under PM25 just to make the backup just in case.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

morri

Unread post by morri » 2018-12-04, 15:23

Does it do automatic backups? I just don't back up bookmarks as regularl as I do other things. but in case it isnt possible I guess theres nothing to do about it.
Last edited by morri on 2018-12-04, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-12-04, 16:38

morri wrote:Does it do automatic backups?
In your old profile folder find a folder named bookmarkbackups. There must be several autobackup files inside it. Transfer the latest of them to your new machine, and then restore bookmarks from the PM Library menu (Restore>Choose File...). Keep in mind that your current bookmarks will be overwritten.
Last edited by _yuyu_ on 2018-12-04, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Kruppt
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Kruppt » 2018-12-10, 15:28

This is in relation to what _yuyu_ explained.

If you do not know what the path to the bookmarkbackups directory in your profile is
run in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb --prunepaths='/tmp /var/spool /media /mnt'
this command will run for a while updating the DB, when back at the prompt run:

Code: Select all

sudo locate bookmarkbackups
Now you will now see the path to your bookmark json files in the output of this command.
From Palemoon menu:
Bookmarks >>> Organize Bookmarks >>> Import and Backups >>> Restore >>> Choose File
Then drill down the path of current json file as found in the output of "locate bookmarkbackups"
They are easy to recognize .. as the JSON files are named according to date of backup.