News about contacting devs/ some fixes needed

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
BlueOwl

News about contacting devs/ some fixes needed

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-29, 18:27

I've been making efforts to contact all developers of extensions currently listed on APMO but hosted on AMO (and a few others not listed) and here are the results up to now:
  • 14 emails and 1 comment (on a homepage) have been sent;
  • The developer of Tab Groups Helper allows APMO to host all his extensions, but he is no longer developing them;
  • Some channels are unsuitable to request specific support for PM (public boards instead of an email), I refrained from posting because I feared it would come out as "plz add support for PM :cry: :cry: " - which isn't appealing to anyone coding for free;
  • Some devs can't be reached, because they didn't provide any contact info (tried to leave a review in cases where they had been active on AMO not too long ago), have reused their domains, their website is no longer available*, or they only linked to mozdev.org which is outdated and only provides mailing lists;
  • Also, some authors are unlikely to cooperate, specifically the SeaMonkey Council who made DOM Inspector. I leave this one to someone else's judgement, I guess?
  • I've gone through all the extensions currently listed on APMO, then I'll try to tackle this one: Known Incompatible Add-ons
*This website https://codefisher.org/ was working fine less than two weeks ago, and now I only get a 502 (bad gateway) error. Someone please try to access it.

Also, @JustOff's Active Stop Button, Cookies Exterminator, Modify HTTP Response, Proxy Privacy Ruler and Speed Start are hosted on AMO, please make him send them to APMO (these also point to AMO in his GitHub page).

That's all for now, I'll continue to post here when I have news/improvements.

JustOff

Re: News about contacting devs/ some fixes needed

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-29, 18:41

BlueOwl wrote:Also, @JustOff's Active Stop Button, Cookies Exterminator, Modify HTTP Response, Proxy Privacy Ruler and Speed Start are hosted on AMO, please make him send them to APMO (these also point to AMO in his GitHub page).
Do not worry, this will be done in due time :coffee:

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-04-29, 18:47

BlueOwl wrote:
*This website https://codefisher.org/ was working fine less than two weeks ago, and now I only get a 502 (bad gateway) error. Someone please try to access it.
I get the same error.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-29, 18:50

That's a pity, because that site has a utility that allows you to create a custom button pack and download it.
He also has a Twitter page, but I don't have a Twitter account.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2018-04-29, 20:11

You may try the Internet Archive Wayback Machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20180401000 ... fisher.org
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-29, 20:54

The Internet Archive is a read-only archive, a "snapshot" of webpages. It doesn't provide a functional contact form, which is the one and only way to reach the developer by email.
Also, the custom button pack is a web utility, if you try to use it it does nothing. See how if you try to access https://web.archive.org/web/20170909195451/https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/toolbar_button_maker/ Pale Moon shows a ticked checkbox next to it, but it's using the generic Firefox icon. It wasn't like that a couple weeks ago, the Firefox icon would be replaced with Pale Moon's.

This person is also on GitHub, but they haven't been active at all during this year, and I think posting on their Twitter would be more appropriate than posting an issue on one of their repos saying "Hey yo, your website is down. Fix it so we can ask you if you'd like to host your ToolbarButtons on APMO, before Mozilla removes it in less than 2 months."
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-04-29, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-04-29, 21:58

Thanks for this. :thumbup:

As it would turn out, I've already been in contact with the Toolbar Buttons author, and he's happy to have his add-ons hosted here. I'm still ironing out details about it, though, hence why it's not on our site currently.
Last edited by Lootyhoof on 2018-04-29, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-04-29, 22:44

That makes me very happy. I had tried to make a Twitter account, which got blocked somehow and was asking me to verify with my phone number to unlock it... Anyway, I'll see what can be done about those 72 entries in the "workaround" section of Known Incompatible Add-ons and return with the results. :thumbup:
Last edited by BlueOwl on 2018-04-29, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-01, 00:16

Great news! The developers of Bamboo Feed Reader and ToggleDocumentColors_ have replied saying they'll send their extensions to APMO! (actually, ToggleDocumentColors_ has already been submitted).
Today is a good day for RSS users and color blind people! This gives me encouragement to continue my efforts.

Keep up the good work, PM team! And remember, there is only xul! ;)

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-06, 22:29

There's some new items in APMO's entensions page. I see ToggleDocumentColors_ is now uploaded, as toggleDocumentColors :thumbup: , and a few extensions that customize appearance from developer Aris. The Noia4 theme has also been submitted to APMO (the version that was working with Firefox 28, specifically) but the developer tools section won't be styled correctly and will have empty/broken items. Aris has said he/she will look into this in the future.

Restart Manager's dev says he will support us but will first upload his new version to AMO (for FF 52 ESR users) and then make the necessary changes for specific PM support. He is currently working on maintenance/ bugfixing, so if there's any users of Restart Manager out there, you can ask for improvements/features or report a bug.

Also, remember the developer of Bamboo Feed Reader has said he will support us, and if there can't be two listings with the same name on APMO, that will have to be changed (like it was for ToggleDocumentColors_). I have no way of knowing when the developer submits a version, so, just a reminder for the people working on this.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2018-12-01, 17:32

would this be the right place to ask about the google translator add on?? could the Dev be asked to look into it? :angel: :angel: (where is the 'we are not worthy' emoticon?? :P )
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/gtran ... n-edition/

this WAS working about the 24 Nov, with a giant Russian site.. I haven't changed much since then.... :( :(

have also checked old versions of PM, firefox addon version, etc, etc.. is it google being bad again?
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-12-01, 19:17

illiad wrote:would this be the right place to ask about the google translator add on??

No, the right place is the extensions section of the forum.
PM forum front page, with extensions board marked
PM forum front page, with extensions board marked
Please give the issue its own new thread, specific to that extension and to whatever problem you have with it,
and a distinctive,informative title.

The developer riiis doesn't publish contact information, but he does seem to monitor the forum.