palemoon constantly crashes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
missmoondog

Re: palemoon constantly crashes

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-25, 10:53

Night Wing wrote:
missmoondog wrote:just had my PM 28.1.0 on 64bit linux mint 18.04.1 crash/lockup on this link, https://www.yahoo.com/news/misconduct-a ... itics.html and this is since having installed that oygen-gtk thing!
First off, there has never been a linux Mint version (18.04.1). In the Mint 18 series, there was: 18 (Sarah) 18.1 (Serena), 18.2 (Sonya) and 18.3 (Sylvia). The Mint 18 versions were all based on Ubuntu (16.04).

Secondly, I just copied the link you provided. Then I just opened a new tab, put the address of the link in my Navigation/Address bar and went to to the site which just made your linux Pale Moon crash. It is still open in the other tab while I type this post to you in this tab without any problems.

I can click on any buttons, go anywhere I want to on that site. I cannot get my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) in the Xfce desktop environment to crash.

Incidentally, Mint 19 (Tara) is based on Ubuntu (18.04).

My 64 bit linux Pale Moon is in Firefox Compatibility mode. The only two add-ons I use are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude.

I'm guessing your oxygen-gtk theme is causing the problem.
oops! you are correct! no linux mint 18.04.01. that's what i have installed on my 5 other machines! i was on my 1, 64 bit linux mint 19 when i posted last time.

that particular crash i posted last was not caused by the link i posted previously when i was a 32 bit machine. the 32 bit machines are the one's i'm mostly concerned about as i can almost guarantee PM will crash eventually, and it's most often on a yahoo news article.

i have removed the oxygen-gtk theme that i installed in above post. currently on a 64 bit, lubuntu 18.04.01 machine that does not have oxygen-gtk installed, as it appears that is not even installed by default in lubuntu.

yep, palemoon is in firefox compatibility mode on all machines as that is the default install mode.
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-25, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-09-25, 11:54

I'm unable to reproduce the crashes on the Yahoo pages on my 32-bit Fedora system. Can you check if the 32-bit build from linux.palemoon.org also crashes on the Yahoo articles?

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-25, 11:56

now here's another yahoo link that has locked up my PM twice. i tried disabling hardware acceleration just for the heck of it when going there the second time but that made no difference.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-polic ... 17434.html

this is on a 64 bit lubuntu 18.04.01 machine

never had any crashes or lock ups on lubuntu 16.04

this is getting quite ridiculous and am about to remove and quit using PM very soon.

edit:
didn't see your post until after i posted, trava. will give that one a try in a little while. i'm out of here for now.
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-09-25, 11:59, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-25, 12:27

We'll be sad to see you go, but it's more than understandable that you won't put up with constant crashes, no matter the exact (and still elusive) cause.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-25, 12:44

trava90 wrote:I'm unable to reproduce the crashes on the Yahoo pages on my 32-bit Fedora system. Can you check if the 32-bit build from linux.palemoon.org also crashes on the Yahoo articles?
well, i said the heck with it and put off doing what i was going to do and installed PM from your link. went to the last yahoo link i posted and page totally loaded and video started playing, which it hasn't been able to do before, but then proceeded to lockup!

really ticks me off that PM is doing this for me as i have been using it for years now without ever having issues before. guess i'll wait until PM is based off firefox 60esr instead of 52esr, or something, and then maybe i won't have this issue anymore.

i really do appreciate all the help folks, but sadly nothing has worked so i feel i have no other option but to quit using PM. :cry:

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-26, 12:41

just another fwiw, but will continue using PM on my 1 windows computer i have as that has not experienced any issues at all. hard to believe though that PM messes up on 5 other linux machines and it seems no one else is having any such issues.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-26, 12:55

missmoondog wrote:guess i'll wait until PM is based off firefox 60esr instead of 52esr, or something, and then maybe i won't have this issue anymore.
To clarify:
  • Pale Moon is not based off of Firefox-anything. It amazes me that people are still saying this after years of use and years of us saying to stop drawing these parallels when they don't exist.
  • If you are looking at waiting until we adopt Rust/Servo/Stylo/Quantum/whatever, you can wait indefinitely. It's not going to happen. UXP is -it-. If there are issues with it then they must be solved in our current platform as this is the final fork of XUL-based Mozilla that is possible.
  • As a result, just waiting and hoping something magically goes away won't happen.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-09-28, 15:14

ok, so not based on firefox, but mozilla. my bad! guess i will simply just quit using it then. :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-28, 16:58

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-14, 19:54

just for giggles, i installed PM after the latest update per instructions on page in one of my earlier posts. went straight to yahoo and tried reading some of the news stories. poof, instant lockup/hang/crash or what ever you want to call it.

saw in synaptic where it had pm i386 listed. installed that and a boat load of other things that were required. went straight back to yahoo and holy cow, no lockups/crashes/hangs!!

might have to try using this for a bit now and see what happens.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-11-21, 22:32

So, "palemoon" shows up in Synaptic for you? Are you getting it from the builds in my repo? The output of

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy palemoon
should provide the answer to that.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-24, 14:22

here's the result of that

palemoon:
Installed: 28.2.1~repack-1
Candidate: 28.2.1~repack-1
Version table:
*** 28.2.1~repack-1 500
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_18.04 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

this isn't the machine i installed the 32bit of PM on a 64 bit though. this machine is the one i first started having issues with PM crashing on though. since installing what ever the version was before this most current version, i haven't had a single crash.

i'll check this out on that other machine in the next day or 2 and see what i get.

thanks

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-26, 16:42

stevepusser wrote:So, "palemoon" shows up in Synaptic for you? Are you getting it from the builds in my repo? The output of

apt-cache policy palemoon
should provide the answer to that.
ok, here's the results of that command on the machine i put 32bit PM on that is a 64bit machine. Just got updated to version 28.2.1:

palemoon:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 28.2.1~repack-1
Version table:
28.2.1~repack-1 500
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... untu_18.04 Packages

hmm? wonder why it says installed none when it was installed?
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-11-26, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-11-26, 21:45

That is weird. Here's what I get (I build it for the MX repo, and then antiX yoinks the same packages for its repo):

$ apt policy palemoon
palemoon:
  Installed: 28.2.1~repack-1~mx17+1
  Candidate: 28.2.1~repack-1~mx17+1
  Version table:
 *** 28.2.1~repack-1~mx17+1 500
        500 http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-11-26, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-27, 14:01

ok, it's weird, story of my life. what does that mean? LOL

what's weird is that when ever i put mouse over a bookmark i'm about to click, i can't see anything. the bookmark turns white and i can't see it but i can click it.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-11-28, 00:44

missmoondog wrote:ok, it's weird, story of my life. what does that mean? LOL

what's weird is that when ever i put mouse over a bookmark i'm about to click, i can't see anything. the bookmark turns white and i can't see it but i can click it.
That sounds more like a problem with whatever gtk theme you have and its support for the gtk 2 that PM is using. You might be able to install gnome-color-chooser and adust the color for "Hover", but I don't know if that will help.

missmoondog

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-28, 16:40

not even going to mess with as it works instead of crashing like the 64bit did

maybe after a few more updates to PM, i'll try the 64bit again. who knows, what ever weird crap my computers are doing to make 64bit crash might be straightened out by then?!
Last edited by missmoondog on 2018-11-28, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.