Constant activity on the Outlook page

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Zinkum

Constant activity on the Outlook page

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-24, 04:22

Hi,
Having updated to 28.2 and then to 28.2.1 I noticed that my Hotmail (MS Outlook, etc) page is constantly active (screenshot). I can stop it manually, but it resumes itself after several seconds and never stops. I am absolutely positive that it had not behaved like this before the update and I have not installed any addons for a long time. Turning off adblocker and noscript (completely) does not help, the page is continuously active and the browser keeps consuming CPU.
Any ideas what the reason might be?
Xubuntu 14.04 64 bit, Palemoon 64 bit, installed into /opt.

Thank you.
Screenshot_2018-11-23_22-15-51.png
Screenshot_2018-11-23_22-15-51.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Last edited by Zinkum on 2018-11-24, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Constant activity on the Outlook page

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-11-24, 05:37

I have a Hotmail (MS Outlook) email account. I have absolutely no problems with my Hotmail account. And I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. This version of linux Mint reaches it's end of life in April of 2023.

This is just a shot in the dark, but do you realize Xubuntu 14.04 was released on April 17th, 2014 and reached it's end of life on April 17, 2017?

https://xubuntu.org/release/14-04/

This may be the reason your 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 is not working properly in 64 bit Xubuntu (14.04). If you prefer Xubuntu, have you tried a newer version of Xubuntu to see if linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 works?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 08:03

Zinkum wrote:Hi,
Having updated to 28.2 and then to 28.2.1 I noticed that my Hotmail (MS Outlook, etc) page is constantly active (screenshot). I can stop it manually, but it resumes itself after several seconds and never stops. I am absolutely positive that it had not behaved like this before the update and I have not installed any addons for a long time. Turning off adblocker and noscript (completely) does not help, the page is continuously active and the browser keeps consuming CPU.
Xubuntu 14.04 64 bit, Palemoon 64 bit, installed into /opt.

Thank you.Screenshot_2018-11-23_22-15-51.png
Maybe it's this 10 years old bug in code inherited from Firefox:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463210

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-11-24, 11:28

snertev wrote:Maybe it's this 10 years old bug in code inherited from Firefox:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463210
Then Moonchild or Travis will have to answer this question.

Since Firefox is the default browser in linux Mint, there have been a few times I've used linux Firefox and I have never seen this bug when accessing my own Hotmail email account through Outlook. The newest version of linux Firefox in Mint 19 (Xfce) is Firefox (63.0.3). I opened up two tabs and I cannot reproduce this bug in Hotmail when using linux Firefox or linux Pale Moon in Hotmail. I do realize I don't use linux Firefox that much in Mint, but even with all the other previous versions of linux Firefox, I've never seen this bug in Firefox.

I've never seen this bug in Hotmail either when using linux Pale Moon and I've been using linux Pale Moon since January of 2014 when linux Pale Moon was first created and publicly released. But the fact remains, Xubuntu 14.04 is no longer being supported and hasn't been supported for the last 19 months.

One cannot keep using an end of life linux distro they like and expect software to work like it used to in it when said software is being updated like Pal Moon is. This same analogy can be said when people want Pale Moon to work in Windows XP when XP reached it's end of life in 2014. If people want to use an end of life linux distro, it stands to reason they will eventually have problems when it comes to software and/or sites on the internet.

The OP needs to update to a newer version of Xubuntu and then try linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 and see if the problem persists in Pale Moon for Hotmail.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-11-24, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-24, 15:20

Night Wing wrote:I have a Hotmail (MS Outlook) email account. I have absolutely no problems with my Hotmail account. And I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. This version of linux Mint reaches it's end of life in April of 2023.
This is just a shot in the dark, but do you realize Xubuntu 14.04 was released on April 17th, 2014 and reached it's end of life on April 17, 2017?
Oh, here we go again...
First, Ubuntu 14.04 is still supported (till 04-2019), so I keep receiving the most important updates.
Second, the fact that you do not have any problems (on a different system, using different settings, etc) means nothing, sorry for reminding you about this...
Third (sorry to mention that too), the latest FF (received via an official update channel) unlike PM has no problems with Hotmail on my system.
And finally, what do you expect one to choose - to update the whole production system hoping that it might (or might not, who knows) fix a browser problem or to figure out what causes the browser problem first? Honestly?
Otherwise, thank you for your reply.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-11-24, 15:50

Zinkum wrote:Second, the fact that you do not have any problems (on a different system, using different settings, etc) means nothing, sorry for reminding you about this...
Actually, it DOES mean something. It means that this is not a pervasive problem across all instances of Pale Moon 28.2.1. Since this is acting up for you and not for Night Wing, one of these differences (system, settings, etc.) could be the exact reason why you are having problems.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-24, 19:20

Nigaikaze wrote:Actually, it DOES mean something. It means that this is not a pervasive problem across all instances of Pale Moon 28.2.1. Since this is acting up for you and not for Night Wing, one of these differences (system, settings, etc.) could be the exact reason why you are having problems.
What you're saying is such a commonplace... show me a bug for which there is NOT someone saying "but on my system that's OK".
But anyway, I'd like to figure out what causes the issue I am having (hopefully with your help) and I would really appreciate any assistance. If that's because of a conflict with any older parts of 14.04 - OK, but I need to know that for sure before I decide to upgrade the whole system. Does it make sense?
Thank you.
Last edited by Zinkum on 2018-11-24, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-24, 20:30

Off-topic:
Zinkum wrote:show me a bug for which there is NOT someone saying "but on my system that's OK"
Here: Issue #867 (uxp). This bug affected every Pale Moon 28.2.0 installation.

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-24, 20:44

yami_ wrote:
Off-topic:
Zinkum wrote:show me a bug for which there is NOT someone saying "but on my system that's OK"
Here: Issue #867 (uxp). This bug affected every Pale Moon 28.2.0 installation.
Well, I must admit I was wrong... but honestly, I wish I was right. A major release ("addressing performance, web compatibility, bugfixes, regressions and security vulnerabilities") coming out untested, really nothing to be proud of.

Bind17

Unread post by Bind17 » 2018-11-24, 21:47

I see (Pale Moon 28.2.1) at the Outlook inbox page constant polling of client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com
so activity indicator is active.

The same is in Firefox ESR 52.9 which stays with about 5 request total, one of which - client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com - is in endless loop.
But it is not so with Palemoon - after several minutes there are about 100 requests with several endless loops: k-ring.msedge.net, browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com, *.nrb.footprintdns.com

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-24, 23:47

Bind17 wrote:I see (Pale Moon 28.2.1) at the Outlook inbox page constant polling of client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com
so activity indicator is active.
The same is in Firefox ESR 52.9 which stays with about 5 request total, one of which - client-s.gateway.messenger.live.com - is in endless loop.
But it is not so with Palemoon - after several minutes there are about 100 requests with several endless loops: k-ring.msedge.net, browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com, *.nrb.footprintdns.com
Could it be anything similar to this?
https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/issues/287
FF 63.0.3 does not seem to be affected though.
Thank you.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-25, 00:23

Off-topic:
Zinkum wrote:A major release ("addressing performance, web compatibility, bugfixes, regressions and security vulnerabilities") coming out untested, really nothing to be proud of.
You'd see about the same content on the relnotes for most releases of Firefox or Chrome. And I'd rather see a browser making releases to address their issues than... not.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-25, 18:06

Just to make it clear - in a safe mode (no addons, etc) the background activity is still there. PM versions before 28.2 did not display this behavior for sure.
If someone could tell me how to enable and access full logging in PM I probably would be able to narrow down the possible cause of the problem.
Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-25, 18:12

Tell me, does it hapoen with older versions of the v28 milestone now.. If so it is a change on their side if not then it is a change on our side.. if yoy have not actually checked then don't automatically assume it is the fault of the Application.

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-25, 19:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Tell me, does it hapoen with older versions of the v28 milestone now.. If so it is a change on their side if not then it is a change on our side.. if yoy have not actually checked then don't automatically assume it is the fault of the Application.
I noticed it immediately after upgrade to 28.2 because I keep Outlook constantly open. May be a funny coincidence of course.

UPD. Just installed PM 27.1 back and the constant activity is still there. My apologies for not doing it first, you are right.
But then, what shall I do now? I do not want it to drain my laptop's battery.
I guess I still need to figure out what the problem is, regardless of on which side it is...
Thank you.
Last edited by Zinkum on 2018-11-25, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-25, 23:01

And.. your profile is now corrupt because you didn't follow instructions. GOOD JOB. I said older versions of the v28 milestone for this specific reason. Profiles are not backwards compatible with previous milestones like v27 or v26 due to massive differences. You have inrtoduced issues into your profile that will haunt you for years by going back and forth between milestones with the same profile.

I love when people only skim posts.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-25, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.

Zinkum

Unread post by Zinkum » 2018-11-26, 16:50

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:And.. your profile is now corrupt because you didn't follow instructions. GOOD JOB. I said older versions of the v28 milestone for this specific reason. Profiles are not backwards compatible with previous milestones like v27 or v26 due to massive differences. You have inrtoduced issues into your profile that will haunt you for years by going back and forth between milestones with the same profile.
I love when people only skim posts.
You're welcome, glad you liked it!
Well well well, that sounds really scary. However, it is always great to learn something new... like the things you guys do not bother to put straight into the release notes. But you know, exactly because of this (well, 95%, the rest are power outages and faulty hardware) I routinely make backups of pretty much everything I need.
Anyway, back to my problem, if you do not mind.
Is there any way I could figure out what causes the poll loops with the Outlook? Where could I find the complete logs?
Thank you.