Reader View for Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Reader View for Pale Moon

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-15, 12:51

Cjay26 wrote:Currently, I have version 2.1.0 active and I don't have the button anywhere, not even in the Customize section. I don't have any options checked on the add-ons page so I assume I should have the button, but I really can''t find it.
As I said before, if you have the "Show in URL bar" option checked, the button will not appear anywhere else. Please uncheck that option first, close the preferences window, then look to see if the button can be found anywhere.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-15, 14:08

Isengrim wrote:
Cjay26 wrote:Currently, I have version 2.1.0 active and I don't have the button anywhere, not even in the Customize section. I don't have any options checked on the add-ons page so I assume I should have the button, but I really can''t find it.
As I said before, if you have the "Show in URL bar" option checked, the button will not appear anywhere else. Please uncheck that option first, close the preferences window, then look to see if the button can be found anywhere.
I don't have any options checked and still no button. I will just deal with Reader View the way it is.

Thanks for your help.

Cjay26

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-15, 14:10

That's very strange. The only thing I can think of then is that there is another extension or theme installed that might be interfering with the add-on. Even if you haven't installed anything new lately, other add-ons may update automatically if you have that option set.

If you want to rule that out, you can try creating a new temporary profile, installing Reader View, and seeing if it works there.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-15, 15:05

Isengrim wrote:That's very strange. The only thing I can think of then is that there is another extension or theme installed that might be interfering with the add-on. Even if you haven't installed anything new lately, other add-ons may update automatically if you have that option set.

If you want to rule that out, you can try creating a new temporary profile, installing Reader View, and seeing if it works there.
Actually, I tried restoring PM to 11/05/18 using the same PM Backup Tool I tried several weeks ago that didn't work. Don't know what I did different, but Reader View 2.0 is back and little button is where it should be. :o

Thanks,
Last edited by Cjay26 on 2018-11-15, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-15, 15:22

Does it still show up correctly if you update Reader View to 2.1?

You might want to clone your profile folder and test this on the copy.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-15, 15:41

Isengrim wrote:Does it still show up correctly if you update Reader View to 2.1?

For right now, I just don't have the time to do anymore w/this. So, I have turned off Updates for Reader View for now. Will try cloning when I have more time.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cjay26

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-16, 15:48

Cjay26 wrote:
Isengrim wrote:Does it still show up correctly if you update Reader View to 2.1?

For right now, I just don't have the time to do anymore w/this. So, I have turned off Updates for Reader View for now. Will try cloning when I have more time.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cjay26
Just to let you know, I was able to update my Reader View to 2.1 successfully. I believe that the almost fatal crash last week really did a number on the settings for my PM 28.2.0 I updated PM to 28.2.1 today and everything is fine.

So, in the future I will just restore a backup to an earlier date now that l know how.

Thanks, again for all your help.

Cjay26

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-16, 16:02

Cjay26 wrote:Just to let you know, I was able to update my Reader View to 2.1 successfully. I believe that the almost fatal crash last week really did a number on the settings for my PM 28.2.0 I updated PM to 28.2.1 today and everything is fine.

So, in the future I will just restore a backup to an earlier date now that l know how.

Thanks, again for all your help.

Cjay26
Glad to hear you got it working again! :thumbup:
a.k.a. Ascrod

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-16, 16:45

I am not sure that anyone saw that, but in case no one did I have corrected the Polish translation of the Reader View and the result are here: https://github.com/Ascrod/readerview/pull/36.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-16, 17:05

I did not see this PR, but I do now. I will take a look later today. Thanks yami!
a.k.a. Ascrod

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-25, 11:35

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it already, but the button should be located within the location bar, not as a separate button, though I can live with the wasted space for now. (Edit: solved)

I'm also going to have to take a look at how you ported this feature over, as, if I'm inclined enough to do so, I may want to try my hand at porting Firefox Home (the only Firefox 57+ feature I actually like) to take the place of the equivalent pages on PM.
Last edited by kbhasi on 2018-11-25, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-25, 11:50

If by location bar you mean the URL bar then this is already possible. AFAIK this add-on is just the interface to a feature that is included in the browser.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-25, 12:40

kbhasi wrote:I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it already, but the button should be located within the location bar, not as a separate button, though I can live with the wasted space for now.
It is a toolbar button by default and by design, but there is an option in the Options dialog to change it to show it in the URL bar instead if you prefer.
kbhasi wrote:I'm also going to have to take a look at how you ported this feature over, as, if I'm inclined enough to do so, I may want to try my hand at porting Firefox Home (the only Firefox 57+ feature I actually like) to take the place of the equivalent pages on PM.
Since most of Reader View is JavaScript with a small bit of chrome (UI) code, it was relatively easy to port. It was also developed well before FF 57, and thus didn't rely on Mozilla's new APIs at the time of porting, so the transition wasn't difficult.
yami_ wrote:AFAIK this add-on is just the interface to a feature that is included in the browser.
That is true for UXP. In PM 27, the Reader comppnents were shipped as part of the add-on because they did not exist in Toolkit at the time.
a.k.a. Ascrod

Cjay26
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Cjay26 » 2018-11-25, 13:28

Isengrim wrote:
kbhasi wrote:I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it already, but the button should be located within the location bar, not as a separate button, though I can live with the wasted space for now.
It is a toolbar button by default and by design, but there is an option in the Options dialog to change it to show it in the URL bar instead if you prefer.
Isengrim, thanks for that clarification about the "button". I just got mine back after that almost fatal crash of PM 28 and I don't plan to give it up again. :D

Cjay26
Last edited by Cjay26 on 2018-11-25, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-25, 14:12

Isengrim wrote:
kbhasi wrote:I'm also going to have to take a look at how you ported this feature over, as, if I'm inclined enough to do so, I may want to try my hand at porting Firefox Home (the only Firefox 57+ feature I actually like) to take the place of the equivalent pages on PM.
Since most of Reader View is JavaScript with a small bit of chrome (UI) code, it was relatively easy to port. It was also developed well before FF 57, and thus didn't rely on Mozilla's new APIs at the time of porting, so the transition wasn't difficult.
I did find the source code for Firefox Home, and it looks too daunting for me to port, so I guess I'll not try to do that, but I did find a mockup I did.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-11-27, 18:06

A minor conflict emerged after updating Reader View 2.0.0 to 2.1.0 using TGS 1.0.7 (The Good 'ol Sidebar). It is no longer possible to toggle the sidebar using the default shortcut key (F4) or by changing to any other key combination. Reverting back to RV 2.0.0 restores functionality. Hopefully there's a simple resolution.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-27, 18:12

RV 2.1.0 includes a way to change the shortcut key, which might be interfering. I'll take a look when I can, though it might be a little while.

Edit: I've opened Issue #37 on the repo.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-11-27, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-11-27, 18:22

Thanks for your attention when you have time. :) That was my first modification attempt before changing the shortcut in TGS. Neither worked.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-27, 22:12

I created a brand new profile, installed RV 2.1.0 and TGS 1.0.7 and am able to use the F4 shortcut without issue. It took me a moment to realize that you have to restart after changing the shortcut, but now I can also change the shortcut to F9 and continue to toggle the sidebar without issue as long as the Reader shortcut is set to something other than F9. This is on my Linux Mint machine, I have not tested on Windows yet.

If you create a new profile and install just these two add-ons, do you still see the issue?
a.k.a. Ascrod

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-11-28, 10:32

Of course, there was no conflict with TGS and RV 2.1.0 with a new profile. After a painstaking reconstruction of ~30 other extensions it became evident the culprit was Tile View 5.4. Too many key configuration options there to disable to avoid trouble:
TileView5.4KeyOptions.png
How it suddenly interfered with TGS after updating from RV 2.0.0, I have no idea. I'll test for more tangential interactions the next time something like this happens. Thanks again for your support in providing this useful add-on.