Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
snertev

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-09, 15:27

coffeebreak wrote:I'm not very experienced with DOMi, but it looked (from your DOMi screenshot where the urlbar shows "about:blank") like you were inspecting web content rather than Interlink's chrome.
Umh... It's just strange since the only thing I may have clicked is the underlying Interlink main window. Who knows...

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-11-10, 08:18

snertev wrote:Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?
The close button might be missing in the Traditional Style theme (Strata Four-point-oh is not affected) because its global.css style doesn't define any style for the close icon. Tab close buttons are unaffected because they are styled separately in tabmail.css.
Strata Four-point-oh
Strata Four-point-oh
Screenshot (70).png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2018-11-10, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-10, 08:55

FranklinDM wrote:
snertev wrote:Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?
The close button might be missing in the Traditional Style theme (Strata Four-point-oh is not affected) because its global.css style doesn't define any style for the close icon. Tab close buttons are unaffected because they are styled separately in tabmail.css.
Screenshot (70).png
This.

The close decoration is there in Strata Four-point-oh:

It's definitely a theme issue.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-10, 13:53

Is there anything specific that needs thorough testing?
I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much use, because I use Fossamail in an ultra extremely basic way - it just sits on taskbar, I get mails, reply to them, delete them, read feeds and sometimes delete feeds messages.
I don't even change many settings at all.
That's so basic I am not even sure I'd notice anything out of ordinary.
Last edited by Octopuss on 2018-11-10, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-10, 15:44

Newsgroups need put through their paces.

Also, interesting.. I'll have a looksee about that close button.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-11, 10:35

Thanks for the info on IRIs/URIs yami_ + New Tobin Paradigm.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Newsgroups need put through their paces.
Browsing through newsgroups brought back some memories... Did some quick tests and a few posts, everything seems to be working fine. I use a usenet provider but It seems ISP's do not carry newsgroups as in the past?

Not really a request any more, but I'll draw your attention to a helpful feature, missing for some 20-years: descriptions

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-11, 16:55

Thank you for testing newsgroups for me. As per that feature.. I really am not gonna be doing a whole lot when it comes to mailnews core features unless I have to. It is a delicate and fragile thing. My main focus is on the application code.

However, patches welcome in regards to it.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2018-11-12, 19:56

Tobin,

Do you plan to include a dark theme (I say "theme" but I mean this in a general sense that could include a built-in option or setting one could toggle, it needn't necessarily be a theme in the old Mozilla add-on sense of the term "theme") as an option? If so, will it be mostly limited to black, gray, and/or other "cool" darker hued versions of colors like blue and green, apart from possibly white text (I prefer black text on gray, but I could live with white text on black)?

The reason I ask is that the latest update to Thunderbird got rid of whatever option or add-on I was using before. I've tried add-ons and native options that work with the new version of Thunderbird and get me "half-way there" to a good dark theme, but not all the way. For example, with the combination of one themed add-on with a native color option, I can get to the point where the top panel and headers are black, and the emails themselves are black text on a light gray background, but the background for the sidebar and the message list remains white. Another dark theme is slightly more complete adds garnish color highlights like red, neon orange, neon green, etc. that to my eye are worse than the even just the default non-dark theme.

I thought maybe your email client would allow for a dark interface that is both more comprehensive in implementing it with all or almost all UI elements, and that doesn't make an attempt to add garnish glowing highlights that almost defeat the purpose. Of course, it's equally possible that it doesn't. That's why I'm asking. :)

I'm mostly happy with Thunderbird, but it seems like switching might be worth considering if something were to offer me a better dark theme/option.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-13, 11:32

Why don't you create a dark theme for Interlink?

I have too much to handle as it is to be creating a whole new theme which I am not very good at in the first place else I wouldn't be bundling a modified copy of ClassicTB2.

I personally don't even like dark themes and have little way to test them without changing the rest of my environment.

Also, and for the record, I don't actually care if anyone uses Interlink.. I already got what I wanted and I am doing what people asked me to do for what I asked to do it. If only a dozen or so people who wanted this are the only people who use it that is fine by me.

I never actually agreed to doing anything regarding themes except allow themeing and not have curvey tabs by default ;)
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-13, 11:41, edited 2 times in total.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2018-11-13, 18:36

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Why don't you create a dark theme for Interlink?
I suppose the main reason is the same as why I've never created themes for anything or coded anything, which is that the closest I come to being able to code is extremely basic HTML for web 1.0 type sites (And even there, I was mostly just able to add links or pictures to existing HTML code), and the extremely basic stuff used on the user facing side of message forums like "[ / quote ]". :) I did briefly maintain a forum that used MySQL, but I had a lot of help, and it ended in a technical disaster I was unable to recover from. So, I am purely on the user side- maybe halfway toward being the most basic power user (i.e. I understand what a VM is and how to set one up using consumer software, that sort of thing, and I can sometimes understand things on the conceptual level that some users can't understand and that I can't execute), but that's as far as it goes. :)

I've tried to learn some basics once or twice, but it flew over my head. I think the talent just isn't there. Maybe with years of intensive study, I could force myself into the most basic understanding of coding, but not enough to where it would be worth the effort, and with a definite ceiling imposed by own natural limitations. I failed Spanish in high school- and that was just a second Latin-derived language at an age where my brain should have been more easily able to absorb it than my adult mind would be today. :)
I have too much to handle as it is to be creating a whole new theme which I am not very good at in the first place else I wouldn't be bundling a modified copy of ClassicTB2.

I personally don't even like dark themes and have little way to test them without changing the rest of my environment.

Also, and for the record, I don't actually care if anyone uses Interlink.. I already got what I wanted and I am doing what people asked me to do for what I asked to do it. If only a dozen or so people who wanted this are the only people who use it that is fine by me.

I never actually agreed to doing anything regarding themes except allow themeing and not have curvey tabs by default ;)
Fair enough! I just thought I'd check in and see if you were planning on doing it. I didn't really intend to ask you to do it (Though I can see how it may have come off that way).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-13, 18:50

Hey, we will support themes maybe not unmodified Thunderbird themes same goes with extensions.. It is a best effort and no I am not changing the GUID or doing dual-GUID.. But I do have plans for the longer term that might slightly bust extensions.. But again, I did not agree to supporting Thunderbird add-ons only extensiablity and skinning.

If you guys want something then contribute codewise OR create extensions and themes. Overlay and Bootstrap extensions only ;)

I am focused on E-mail (POP/IMAP), RSS, and Newsgroups and cleaning up garbage and making it better and sustainable.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-14, 22:12

New icon/red colour is temporary in 6891? It doesn't look good in the taskbar (pixelated/as if "zoomed in") - DPI 125%.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-14, 22:38

The red variant is the official unstable branding. It IS zoomed in because you increased the DPI.. What do you expect? Superbar icons have two sizes, 16x16 or 32x32 at higher DPI this doesn't change merely scaled up.

You are just going to have to deal with it because that is how it works and because I don't support non-standard DPI even if I could do something about it.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-14, 22:46, edited 4 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-14, 22:52

Not a problem for me since I minimise to tray. Doesn't Windows default to either 100-125-150 DPI depending on resolution, though? I think all these 3 are fairly standard/default - but I could be wrong.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-11-15, 01:52

by standard i think he means fractional scaling i.e. 100%, 150%, 200%

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-15, 02:30

At 150% it should be showing the 24px or 48px version depending on if you use small or large icons on the Superbar. 125% well it is gonna just scale up.. Nothing can be done for that nor is it realistic to even bother.. So go 100% or 150%.. Or again just deal with it.

@fillerup You are on fire.. You should come to our IRC channel at freenode #palemoon!
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-15, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-15, 10:21

I've also probably perceived the paper dents around the envelope (not sure how these are called in English) as a "pixelated" effect. Anyway, moving on. :)
fillerup wrote:by standard i think he means fractional scaling i.e. 100%, 150%, 200%
Yes.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-15, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-11-15, 10:42

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:@fillerup You are on fire.. You should come to our IRC channel at freenode #palemoon!
been there once but didn't see much activity going on.. will be back when i am less busy with work

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-15, 10:50

Off-topic:
fillerup wrote:been there once but didn't see much activity going on.. will be back when i am less busy with work
It comes and goes. Depends on who's awake. ;)
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-11-15, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-19, 08:35

Account Settings window: would it be possible to make the distance/separation between the account list on the left and the settings on the right resizeable? The left list is rather narrow and a lot of text gets cropped with "..." on smaller screens. The window can be resized from its outer edges but this doesn't have an effect on the left list. Ideally, it could work like the main window where you can easily grab and resize the account list on the left and the messages on the right.

Less importantly... perhaps you could also make the about:config window remember its size/position, to align with the other ones that are now being remembered?

The Message Filters window is being remembered when resized, unless it is maximised using the 'Maximise' button in which case this maximised state is not remembered.