Keyboard shortcut to close tab Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DanceMan

Keyboard shortcut to close tab

Unread post by DanceMan » 2018-11-09, 01:37

In Pale Moon in Windows I can use Ctrl W to close the current tab, but this doesn't work in Linux Mint Mate 19.
Is this specific to Pale Moon or to Mate? Is there a Key combination I can use? Would it be different in Mint Cinnamon?

fillerup

Re: Keyboard shortcut to close tab

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-11-09, 03:58

the Ctrl W shortcut is universal across all OSes, so the culprit has gotta be something specific to your distro. are you using any Unicode typing software or keyboard layout that alters the output of the W key?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-09, 10:57

I have always used CTRL+F4 to close the current tab. It works on Windows and Linux Mint.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

broomsticks

Unread post by broomsticks » 2018-11-13, 07:24

You could go to System Settings -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts and look for a conflicting assignment.
Also check your installed applications.
I'm using Mint 19 Cinnamon and Ctrl+W works fine.

DanceMan

Unread post by DanceMan » 2018-11-18, 06:07

Turns out the left Ctrl key is not working on this laptop. Hardware issue, software is fine.