Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
snertev

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-07, 14:03

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
snertev wrote:Finally, what is "opportunistic encryption" meant doing in a mail client?
As long as the mail client has the potential to open non-message content even in a limited form some browser related considerations should be kept in mind.

Besides, remote content in html email is a thing never the less.

The default is for that junk to be off but the feature is apart of the current buzz so I added the gui preferences. If they will stick around in gui form is up in the air.
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't use HTML for email (except for newsletters), but I understand what you mean.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 14:08

No problem.

I plan to completely rewrite the preferences interface using the communicator tree-style and reshuffle and expose more preferences for easier control of everything. The Aviary Toolkit style preferences interface is designed to be simpler and wasn't geared for a lot of preferences even with a tabsheet in each prefpane.

Using the communicator tree-style will allow cleaner markup and js support code which for the current Aviary Toolkit style is jamming more stuff to a horizantally-limited number of prefpanes.

This will also bring UI consistency with the Account Settings AND my other upcoming project, the Borealis Navigator.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-07, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 17:24

a0b3de30-1c3b-48e0-a63b-67425db91115.jpg

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-07, 21:51

That's a pretty darn sweet logo, if I do say so myself. And I do. :D
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-07, 23:38

I must agree with Isengrim and back2themoon, the logo is indeed really nice.
Off-topic:
I know that this may be too off-topic for a feedback thread but I have no idea where I should ask this question.
What is the right way to target Interlink in an install.rdf?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-08, 02:59

yami_ wrote:
Off-topic:
What is the right way to target Interlink in an install.rdf?
Off-topic:
Similar to how you would with Pale Moon, just use the Interlink GUID (it's in mail/confvars.sh) and make sure your min/max versions are valid.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-08, 07:51

To target Interlink you should use Thunderbird's GUID which is {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6} as I am gonna stick with it.. However, because of that.. The actual Mozilla version of Interlink will be 52.9.XXXX where XXXX is the number of days since Jan 1st 2000 on the day the build was built.. So you would be wise to make your minVersion to be set at an actual version number that it is targeted at. maxVersion for best results should be either 52.9.* or an absolute version with strictCompatiblity.. Please do NOT use 52.* or something crazy like 99.* and don't use * alone.. The future Add-ons Site for it won't accept it.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-08, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-08, 11:07

The "slider", that appears when a connection times out or there is another connection error, hasn't any "close" button.

I have to wait till that thing disappears from the right bottom part of my Desktop.

Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-08, 15:07

Off-topic:
Isengrim wrote:Similar to how you would with Pale Moon [...]
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:To target Interlink [...]
Thank you both. My extension is now working in Interlink:
fig.1
fig.1
hide.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-08, 17:10

snertev wrote:The "slider", that appears when a connection times out or there is another connection error, hasn't any "close" button.

I have to wait till that thing disappears from the right bottom part of my Desktop.

Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?
A screenshot or element id via DOMi would help.. Both would be nice. With DOMi you can hold shift and right click on any element including transient ones like menu popups and the like.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-08, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-11-08, 22:06

Installed, copied my feeds over, randomly clicked around - I like it. Everything seems to work on first sight. Not bad for "early access".

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-08, 23:52

Octopuss wrote:Installed, copied my feeds over, randomly clicked around - I like it. Everything seems to work on first sight. Not bad for "early access".
Thank you, So on the right track then. Good to know! Yeah at least visually and casual functionally wise it is going better than expected.

That being said, the state of much of the application code is pretty bad and it may take the full year to fix/move/change/scrub/add and otherwise improve the state of things according to my vision.

I should work on a goal oriented short/medium/long term roadmap. Application code wise I could see a lot of it being changed to the point of being an almost totally new mail client. However, I also want to sitck to the same basic traditional and visual functionality and fell just be better codewise.. So not so much a visual or functionality change as a clean up rewrite of much of it to do the exact same.

Hardest hit will be the Preferences interface and over time a sizeable chunk of the main window but same basic interface setup. Still the same 3-pane window setup but .. better, you kinda get it?

The address book and compose (write) windows are luckily in a lot better shape because the post-mozilla Thunderbird team hadn't fucked with them nearly as much as the main window.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-08, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-09, 09:36

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
snertev wrote:The "slider", that appears when a connection times out or there is another connection error, hasn't any "close" button.

A screenshot or element id via DOMi would help.. Both would be nice. With DOMi you can hold shift and right click on any element including transient ones like menu popups and the like.
Here it is the slider screenshot without any close button:

And here it is the XUL:slider element from DOMi:

and a XUL:thumb additional element:

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-11-09, 13:26

snertev wrote:Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?
Try clicking anywhere in the message (if our "sliders" are the same).

I see this "slider" (with imap).
No close button, but clicking anywhere in the message did close it.
Left to itself It lasted ca.20 seconds, but it could be shortened by adjusting a setting in the config editor: alerts.durationImmediate

alert
alert-message.png

DOMi
mailnews-alert-domi.png

config
config-alerts.png
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-11-09, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-09, 13:47

coffeebreak wrote:
snertev wrote:Is there a way to have that close button or another way to dismiss the slider once I've seen it?
Try clicking anywhere in the message (if our "sliders" are the same).

I see this "slider" (with imap).
No close button, but clicking anywhere in the message did close it.
You're right, it works, though it's not a user friendly solution, because there is no suggestion of this behavior.

However, I'm curious to know why your "slider" is an "alert" element in DOMi, while mine is a "slider". :D

Edit: in addition to this, there should be more consistency in "sliders", since these are different from those used for incoming mail alerts.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-11-09, 13:52, edited 3 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-09, 14:12

Not sure of the exact terminology (Unicode, encoding etc.) but try copying the link below, and paste it in a new message. When a link contains non-English characters, it is not pasted as-is but in a more "conforming" (?) yet very human-unfriendly way.

Something similar occurs here in Pale Moon and other programs, so perhaps this is a Windows limitation and cannot be overcome?

Original text:

Code: Select all

https://www.adslgr.com/forum/threads/1078569-Δημόσια-Διαβούλευση-για-το-Μεγάλο-Έργο-Ultrafast-Broadband-(UFBB)
When pasted:

Code: Select all

https://www.adslgr.com/forum/threads/1078569-%CE%94%CE%B7%CE%BC%CF%8C%CF%83%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CE%94%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%B2%CE%BF%CF%8D%CE%BB%CE%B5%CF%85%CF%83%CE%B7-%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%84%CE%BF-%CE%9C%CE%B5%CE%B3%CE%AC%CE%BB%CE%BF-%CE%88%CF%81%CE%B3%CE%BF-Ultrafast-Broadband-%28UFBB%29
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-09, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-11-09, 15:01

snertev wrote:I'm curious to know why your "slider" is an "alert" element in DOMi, while mine is a "slider".

Hmm... I just held the shift key down and right-clicked on the alert message.

I'm not very experienced with DOMi, but it looked (from your DOMi screenshot where the urlbar shows "about:blank") like you were inspecting web content rather than Interlink's chrome.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-09, 15:18

@snertev
Yeah so uhh there is nothing really to change with the alert then. It is pretty much as-intended structurally and functionality wise AND a core platform component.

I'll look into it I suppose but there isn't much likelyhood it will be changed.

As for DOMi the shift rightclick method is a hack so don't worry so much.

@back2themoon special characters pasting or converting to html url encoded form is normal because despite some places in a web browser showing the un-encoded form. There is also nothing actionable here as well due to being the standard.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-09, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.