Facebook keeps flagging PM Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cecilieaux

Facebook keeps flagging PM

Unread post by cecilieaux » 2018-10-29, 11:45

I started gertting and keep getting
For a better experience on Facebook, update your browser.
in my Pale Moon 28.1.0 64-bit, running under Linux Mint 18.3. Is there a way to do stop this?

snertev

Re: Facebook keeps flagging PM

Unread post by snertev » 2018-10-29, 11:56

cecilieaux wrote:I started gertting and keep getting
For a better experience on Facebook, update your browser.
in my Pale Moon 28.1.0 64-bit, running under Linux Mint 18.3. Is there a way to do stop this?
You're lucky, my account is secured and blocked every time I access it via Pale Moon. :thumbdown:

The question is: why?

PM works perfectly when I can access the FB account.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-29, 12:10

cecilieaux wrote:Is there a way to do stop this?
Not unless Facebook stops being discriminatory about which browser you use.
snertev wrote:my account is secured and blocked every time I access it via Pale Moon.
They probably call that a "feature". :|
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cecilieaux

Unread post by cecilieaux » 2018-10-29, 13:29

Interesting. On my laptop, PM 28.0 running under Linux Mint 19 (as opposed to my desktop, 28.1.0 64-bit, running under Linux Mint 18.3), the problem does not occur.

I don't get locked out in either one.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-10-30, 08:09

Moonchild wrote:
snertev wrote:my account is secured and blocked every time I access it via Pale Moon.
They probably call that a "feature". :|
For sure.

It is a "security" feature, according to the warning pop up.

Initially, when PM 28.1 was released I had not this issue. Then, likely because of always rolling FB "improvements" deployment, the issue started. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I've just realized that this thread is in the linux section while I'm on Win 10 Home. Maybe this is important for FB. :evil:

I must use FB for work (community manager) and I was forced to reinstall Firefox just for this strange behavior. And, of course, FB customer service is a joke. They never reply to my questions.

cecilieaux

Unread post by cecilieaux » 2018-10-30, 13:19

Found the solution (thanks to a suggestion by Moen in the Linux Mint forum (https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=280576&p=1546299#p1546299)!

I went to about:config (yes, there be dragons!) and looked up useragent. I noticed that the list of preference names included Preference Name: general.useragent.override.facebook.com Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon). I also noticed a more reasonable one in the general.useragent.override.google.com preference (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/28.1.0). I chose to use the more reasonable one.

Here are 5 easy steps to fix this:
  1. Go to (yes, there be dragons!)

Code: Select all

about:config
  2. Find

general.useragent.override.facebook.com
  3. Click on the preference name and the Enter String Value box will appear
  4. Enter

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/28.1.0
    (or another reasonable one that you see -- open it and copy and paste it to somewhere like an editor -- and copy that instead)
  5. Go try Facebook and the error message will be gone.
I'm assuming this will work with other sites that say they don't like Pale Moon.
Last edited by cecilieaux on 2018-10-30, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-10-30, 21:09

I assume there are also extensions that will handle user agent spoofing? Any recommendations?