Old Google?

General discussion and chat (archived)
NovaDelta
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Old Google?

Unread post by NovaDelta » 2018-10-14, 03:48

So I was looking through my Windows XP VM and I noticed when I opened Google in IE 6 it opened sort of an older version of Google.
oldgoogle2.PNG
As you can see, It only really effects IE6. Mypal reads the newer google just fine.

I was wondering if there was a way to get the older Google in current Pale Moon on Windows 10? I'd personally love to see the older Google again.

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Old Google?

Unread post by Potkeny » 2018-10-14, 04:33

If you disable javascripts (from google) you will get the "older version", so probably any solution which can achieve that should work. (Just disabled all javascript in my up-to-date FF to test it, got the older version there too.)

I'm using NoScript, but that makes my PM not supported, I believe uMatrix can do it (and others I forgot too).

Screenshot:

NovaDelta
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by NovaDelta » 2018-10-14, 04:55

Thank you I'll try that.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-14, 06:49

Toggle JavaScript, a simple button to toggle scripting on/off.
Since I'm surfing the Web most of the time with scripting disabled (leaving all the junk behind me :)) such a button is very handy.
Making special rules for most sites isn't an option for me since sometimes I enable JS (for some content) on sites I regularly access with JS disabled.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2018-10-14, 16:38

I always have the old Google design (or at least something similar to that) with the help of the Stylem extension and this userstyle.

See screenshot below:
Last edited by nicolaasjan on 2018-10-14, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-10-14, 18:42

gepus wrote:Toggle JavaScript, a simple button to toggle scripting on/off. ... Making special rules for most sites isn't an option for me since sometimes I enable JS (for some content) on sites I regularly access with JS disabled.
Potkeny wrote:If you disable javascripts (from google) you will get the "older version", so probably any solution which can achieve that should work. (Just disabled all javascript in my up-to-date FF to test it, got the older version there too.) I'm using NoScript.
The difference between Google "older version" and Google "newer version" appears to be but a smidgen above trivial. So, "solving" this "problem" by turning off all Javascript (such as with "Toggle Javascript" or "NoScript")-- doing so replaces a simple user-style preference with potentially big problems (of breaking many websites that need Javascript to run properly. Or, for NoScript, dealing with entering multitudes of exceptions and browser compatibility issues).

Nevertheless, to block Javascript for specific websites (rather than overall), you might want to try ScriptBlock.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-14, 19:12

riiis wrote:Nevertheless, to block Javascript for specific websites (rather than overall), you might want to try ScriptBlock.
Or uMatrix.