Dragged File In Use

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dragged File In Use

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2018-10-14, 00:01

Okay, this is probably the most unimportant bug report I've ever filed, but as a fellow programmer, my sense of data cleanliness would be irritated by it.

Basically, if I drag a file from my file manager into the browser and it prompts a "download" dialog and I hit cancel, that file stays in use until I close the browser.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Dragged File In Use

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-15, 15:09

What type of file?

When I dragged, PM opened the file - regardless of a purposely misnamed file extension.

.mp4, played the movie.
.log, displayed the "text file".
.exe, asked to "save" the file.

In the case of the .mp4, the file handle was held open, temporarily.
(I didn't specifically test the other files.)
As in while the file was playing, I went to my file manager & "deleted" the file.
The file "persisted" in my file manager - until a short time after I had closed the tab that was playing the file (at which time it "vanished").

(Windows) Nirsoft's OpenedFilesView also had no complaints.
Last edited by therube on 2018-10-15, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2018-10-16, 01:29

therube wrote:What type of file?

When I dragged, PM opened the file - regardless of a purposely misnamed file extension.

.mp4, played the movie.
.log, displayed the "text file".
.exe, asked to "save" the file.

In the case of the .mp4, the file handle was held open, temporarily.
(I didn't specifically test the other files.)
As in while the file was playing, I went to my file manager & "deleted" the file.
The file "persisted" in my file manager - until a short time after I had closed the tab that was playing the file (at which time it "vanished").

(Windows) Nirsoft's OpenedFilesView also had no complaints.
MKV. But it's not consistent. Some files trigger it, some don't.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-17, 20:06

the browser and it prompts a "download" dialog and I hit cancel, that file stays in use until I close the browser
I'll note that an "aborted" download may "persist" as a ".part" file in %TMP%.

Some people have a habit of "opening" files "directly" from the Internet, rather then saving first, then opening that saved file. Opening "directly" would typically "save" the file into %TMP%, so when opened, is read from %TMP%.

And what does all that mean? Not sure?
But maybe if you, with your file manager dragged a file from %TMP% into the browser window, then "aborted"... ? (Or some other odd scenario like this is playing in to what you have seen.)