Basilisk update 2018.09.05

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Basilisk update 2018.09.05

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-05, 12:45

Just a little note that there's a new update to Basilisk, to push out our latest development code.

Release notes: http://www.basilisk-browser.org/releasenotes.shtml
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-05, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Basilisk update 2018.09.05

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-09-06, 21:04

Moonchild wrote:Just a little note that there's a new update to Basilisk, to push out our latest development code.
As far as I can see, the team has done a great job.

All of my 40 extensions appear to be working, including my full third-party theme.

Thank you.

I don't know whether it's a coincidence that you brought this update out the same day that Mozilla killed everything I liked about Fx. Anyway, Fx is now officially gone from my system. I ain't lookin' back.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2018-09-06, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-07, 00:00

JoeyG wrote:I don't know whether it's a coincidence that you brought this update out the same day that Mozilla killed everything I liked about Fx.
Pure coincidence.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-09-07, 09:31

This update is great on Windows. Basilisk feels much quicker and snappier.

However, I am having issues on my Xubuntu 16.04 install.
The tarball is extracted in my home directory /home/username/.Basilisk 64 bit refuses to update via the Help -> About route. Can't remember the error exactly.

Anyway, I deleted the old extracted folder, extracted this update and now I can't play DRM content of a site called Supersport. Anyway, I will update the PC later today and see if the issue persist. Pretty sure that the error is on their side.
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-09-07, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-09-07, 12:32

JoeyG wrote:I don't know whether it's a coincidence that you brought this update out the same day that Mozilla killed everything I liked about Fx. Anyway, Fx is now officially gone from my system. I ain't lookin' back.
On that day, I updated Basilisk and downloaded Firefox 62.

I need Firefox 62's DNS-over-HTTPS feature.

It could bypass internet censorship in my country and it is sad that Basilisk wouldn't include that feature.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-07, 12:35

Latitude wrote:I need Firefox 62's DNS-over-HTTPS feature.
You've done just fine without it so far.

But if you really do need it, then your working environment is incompatible with Basilisk, Pale Moon, or any other UXP-based browser.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-07, 13:14

I would say that Basilisk is much greater, almost a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Off-topic:
It is internet censorship in my country too, but i do not need DNS-over-HTTPS

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 13:37

Latitude wrote:I need Firefox 62's DNS-over-HTTPS feature.
Is Mozilla DoH implementation superior to other available implementations, in particular to proxy servers like this, this and this that can convert normal DNS queries to DoH? I am asking, because I can not see a reason why anyone would want to "protect" only the web browser and not the entire operating system and other applications. Also: Why would Mozilla implement an not-even-draft-quality specification in supposedly production-quality browser?. I know it is (still?) disabled by default.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-07, 14:03

Better censorship control. If we bypass the global dns system and prefer this dns over https it gives control of resolution of domains over to the D'oh operators for far easier blacklisting of sites they don't want you to see.

Combine that with search engine algro tampering, social network shadow and actual banning, removal of decenteralized feeds using rss, https-only enforcement (which is expensive as hell or for low or no funded sites means Let's Encrypt controlled by the browser makers), and pushing a feed of approved content via new tab/default home page and you turn the internet virtually into a walled garden the likes you have never seen.

Sprinkle in System Add-ons you have no control over that can modify content on-the-fly and massive data collection via telemetry and boy the internet has never been more open eh?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-07, 14:33

Yami_: they've pretty much run through an A/B test already on Firefox. They are clearly planning to at least enable "TRR-first" in the browser soon, basically enabling what is designed for a corner-case scenario for tightly-censored nets for everyone. Any concerns raised in the relevant bugs (including my own) are being ignored, including the question where best to report issues/objections with it.

You can think of that situation what you will, but to me that doesn't look very good from a user freedom perspective.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 15:23

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:Yami_: they've pretty much run through an A/B test already on Firefox. They are clearly planning to at least enable "TRR-first" in the browser soon, basically enabling what is designed for a corner-case scenario for tightly-censored nets for everyone. Any concerns raised in the relevant bugs (including my own) are being ignored, including the question where best to report issues/objections with it.
I did not know about A/B testing, thanks for the information.

If Mozilla really wanted to improve something DNS-related in their browser they could at least RESOLVE FIX bug #672600.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-09-08, 13:19

I still have Basilisk & Pale Moon installed in my computer, BTW.

And I know about DNSCrypt to bypass this censorship.

They're still the lightest Mozilla browsers I use.
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-09-08, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-09-10, 01:39

The Update could not be installed (patch apply failed)

I wonder why it failed? This is on my Windows 8.0 Pro computer. (I haven't tried to install it yet on my Windows 10 Pro computer). I haven't had any problems with internal update of Basilisk on this computer in the past.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-09-18, 14:18

Smokey20 wrote:The Update could not be installed (patch apply failed)

I wonder why it failed? This is on my Windows 8.0 Pro computer. (I haven't tried to install it yet on my Windows 10 Pro computer). I haven't had any problems with internal update of Basilisk on this computer in the past.

Had the exact same issue on Ubuntu and Arch
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 15:05

On Linux, you have to make sure your Pale Moon directory is user-writable.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-09-18, 15:06

fatboy wrote:
Smokey20 wrote:The Update could not be installed (patch apply failed)

Had the exact same issue on Ubuntu and Arch
I don't want to fall back on "ghosts in the machine", but a couple of decades with the thing indicates to me that internal updating seems to be a crap shoot.

I ran Fx (Nightly and beta) on six computers for about twenty years. Now I've got Basilisk and PaleMoon (release and unstable) on nine machines. Sometimes the updater works fine, sometime it doesn't - and here I'm talking about the very same version with the very same profile on all the machines. And it's not that it always happens on one computer and never on another.

Over a period of time with Fx, I actually kept track of what didn't work on which machine for half a year or so. I was never, ever able to establish a pattern. It's been the same with the PM products, though I've never kept records.

I've come to accept it as a fact of life, and I've learned how to deal with it.

I'd say that with the almost infinite combinations of hardware and software on machines around the world, it's amazing to me that a small volunteer team is able to put out browser that works as well as the PM family does. To me it's a stellar example of intelligence, commitment, and dedication.

I'm no fanboy; in this case I'm just "callin'em like I see'em".
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

bitairy

Unread post by bitairy » 2018-09-28, 04:36

Hi
Please direct me where to find "Accept third-party cookies settings" latest Basilisk?
I was looking for this item in the browser's menu unsuccessfully
If this setting no more accessible thru menu then how to set this option to TRUE via about:config?
Thanks

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-09-28, 04:44

Menu bar: Tools / Preferences --- Privacy (on left), History Section

For the App button menu: Preferences / Preferences
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

bitairy

Unread post by bitairy » 2018-09-28, 05:00

NotWorthKnowing wrote:Menu bar: Tools / Preferences --- Privacy (on left), History Section

For the App button menu: Preferences / Preferences
Thank you
Last edited by bitairy on 2018-09-28, 05:43, edited 2 times in total.