Are American's Getting Smarter Online?

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Are American's Getting Smarter Online?

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-09-05, 20:56

I came across this today from the Pew Research Center. Maybe my fellow countrypeople are starting to figure it out.

Americans are changing their relationship with Facebook
By Andrew Perrin
Significant shares of Facebook users have taken steps in the past year to reframe their relationship with the social media platform.

Just over half of Facebook users ages 18 and older (54%) say they have adjusted their privacy settings in the past 12 months, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. Around four-in-ten (42%) say they have taken a break from checking the platform for a period of several weeks or more, while around a quarter (26%) say they have deleted the Facebook app from their cellphone. All told, some 74% of Facebook users say they have taken at least one of these three actions in the past year.

The findings come from a survey of U.S. adults conducted May 29-June 11, following revelations that the former consulting firm Cambridge Analytica had collected data on tens of millions of Facebook users without their knowledge.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/09/05/americans-are-changing-their-relationship-with-facebook/
You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Unattributed- but it is often credited to having originated with President Lincoln.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Are American's Getting Smarter Online?

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-05, 21:03

TwoTankAmin wrote:
You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Unattributed- but it is often credited to having originated with President Lincoln.
Naaah...
It was Bob Dylan.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-09-06, 01:22

It is "Americans" not "American's". Stoopid American (sic).
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-06, 03:20

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:It is "Americans" not "American's". Stoopid American (sic).

Is it Americans or American's?
"
Americans

" is plural
"
American's

" is singular possessive
"
Americans'

" is plural possessive

Lol..... :lol:

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-06, 10:18

Well, I would argue America has always been smart and at the forefront of all of the world's shit. I present you the following: Samuel Morse patented the telegraph in 1837, then 167 years latter some schmuck named Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook.

If you ask me, progress is one step forward two steps back when there is an absence of applied common sense. This is true for Windows. :lol:

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-09-07, 14:15

"It is "Americans" not "American's". Stoopid American (sic)."

No, it is stupid spell and grammar check
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-09-07, 14:28

TwoTankAmin wrote:"It is "Americans" not "American's". Stoopid American (sic)."

No, it is stupid spell and grammar check
We'll let you off. This time.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-17, 21:59

Phantom wrote:Well, I would argue America has always been smart and at the forefront of all of the world's shit. I present you the following: Samuel Morse patented the telegraph in 1837, then 167 years latter some schmuck named Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook.
And apparently the first long-distance telegraphed message was: "What hath God wrought?" :twisted:
(I find myself asking that every time someone brings up 'Snapchat' or 'Twitter' or 100 other social media apps that I never use.)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-17, 22:35

Don't know about Americans, but since this is about Facebook here's a rant: their recent deprecation of the Friend List feeds (which could also include Pages) has made it fairly useless (1 2 3). FB now expects me to waste all day browsing through the crap in the main Home feed (yes, I use FBP).

Time to reduce FB usage to the bare minimum (and raise the IQ in the process?).

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-17, 23:02

back2themoon wrote:Time to reduce FB usage to the bare minimum (and raise the IQ in the process?).
Of course. If you want a friend, get a RL one. If you want a chat app use Signal (or similar).

If you have a stubborn friend/family member that you want to keep in contact with, who will not move away from fb, then you use fb simply for its "messenger", and you access it through its .onion site on Tor browser.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-17, 23:14

I use FB mostly for specific Pages and Groups, hardly chatting and no games/pets. I'm noticing throughout the years a "tendency" Facebook has: they change features, resulting in more user clicks to get the same things done, and generally try to keep you online more with annoying, and quite transparent methods.

This axed feature is a perfect example: most useful for some customisation (rings a bell) and now it's gone. You can't select what to browse as before: just browse through everything available. Plenty of time, right?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 11:15

back2themoon wrote:FB now expects me to waste all day browsing through the crap in the main Home feed
Of course they do! The more hours you spend on Facebook, the less you spend on competitors' sites. The more hours you spend paging through their feeds, the more money they make.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-09-18, 12:42

Glad I got rid of Facebook. I use Twitter now, but not as much and it's about as bad.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-09-18, 21:16

gracious1 wrote:
Phantom wrote:Well, I would argue America has always been smart and at the forefront of all of the world's shit. I present you the following: Samuel Morse patented the telegraph in 1837, then 167 years latter some schmuck named Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook.
And apparently the first long-distance telegraphed message was: "What hath God wrought?" :twisted:
(I find myself asking that every time someone brings up 'Snapchat' or 'Twitter' or 100 other social media apps that I never use.)
Americans when they are at their best are always very intelligent, they just do their very best to hide it through the continuing abuse of the language. :D
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-09-18, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-18, 22:48

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
yereverluvinuncleber wrote:It is "Americans" not "American's". Stoopid American (sic).
Is it Americans or American's? [...]
Thought I posted this before, but I don't see it now. Here is the greatest explanation for English apostrophe rules ever, by Bob the Angry Flower: Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-09-18, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-18, 23:23

gracious1 wrote:Thought I posted this before, but I don't see it now. Here is the greatest explanation for English apostrophe rules ever, by Bob the Angry Flower: Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots
It misses an important piece of modern usage.

When I pay attention, I reckon my use of grammar and punctuation is pretty good. So the pedant in me is always slightly concerned by the fact that I almost invariably pluralize TLA's with an apostrophe. I do this to remove all doubt as to whether it is a pluralized TLA, or an ETLA.

I've never been bothered enough to check if my usage upsets grammar nazis, or if it is accepted, common, usage.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-09-19, 17:32

Don't mention the Grammar Nazis, I am bound by honour to call them in when I find them mentioned in any post.

Be warned, they have been called, they are on the way. They are coming for you. RUN!

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-09-20, 11:41

How can I trust Americans who capitalize's "You" and "Idiots" after a comma?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-20, 11:44

loxodont wrote:How can I trust Americans who capitalize's "You" and "Idiots" after a comma?
... "who capitalize"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-09-20, 11:47

Oh, really ? ;)