PaleMoon 28 memory and CPu usage

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CdeMills

PaleMoon 28 memory and CPu usage

Unread post by CdeMills » 2018-09-12, 08:21

Hello,

first, thanks for the continued work on PaleMoon.

I switched to 28.0 and 28.0.1 on a few machines in September. Some CentOS based, some Fedora based, no trouble. Then I got a machine with Elementary OS 0.4, which is an Ubuntu derivative. Installed from the package manager, duplicated the profile for another machine.

And the fun began. CPU usage at 100% at start, memory growing like mad, UI unresponsive. Had a hard time switching to a terminal and killing the process. Then I tested in safe mode: everything went smoothly. Then I took note of all the installed extensions, removed them all and re-installed. To discover that some of them where not maintained since years while other were not available anymore. But after reinstalling what was available through firefox or palemoon provided extensions, everything is back to normal.

So it seems that very old extensions may do nasty things. Would it be possible to incorporate, in the extension manager, some kind of warning with respect to extensions which are more than, say, two years old ?

Regards

Pascal

Fedor2

Re: PaleMoon 28 memory and CPu usage

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-12, 09:19

If one want to put warning for all extension how one going check that they older more than two years?
Such many xul extensions will become older, so i consider this is bad idea, if you even can determine how old an extension is.

Better you search what particular extension caused a trouble, and then we can solve it by altogether.

CdeMills

Unread post by CdeMills » 2018-09-12, 12:08

Well, I fear this is difficult.

The previous config contained 12 extensions. Five were reinstalled from scratch; four can not be reinstalled (no more compatibility), two where dropped (not used anymore), and one was replaced by equivalents from palemoon extensions.

There are thus 7 potential troublemakers, 4 of them are outdated. Restoring the previous profile would also mean triggering the OOM killer. I got this issue a few times, some of them could only be soived by power-cycling the computer; which is not optimal.

If you have a suggestion to test those 7 extensions in a safe way, I would be glad to try.

Regards

Pascal

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-12, 12:21

You'll have to narrow down which extension (or extensions) is causing the issue. Try disabling all of your extensions, and then enabling them one by one.

Can you post the extensions you have installed / info from the about:support page?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story