Palemoon revets back to default on each opening since update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
morri

Palemoon revets back to default on each opening since update

Unread post by morri » 2018-09-10, 18:17

I just updated palemoon and now it reverts its setting to the default (homepage) and add on settings on each starts. considering I have an add on constanly asking if I want to do this or that is pretty annoying and the fact it opens the palemoon homesite when I have a specific one set. Also all other settings are also back to dfault(like last tab close(which i have off usually)
Last edited by morri on 2018-09-10, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Palemoon revets back to default on each opening since update

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-10, 18:57

I'm guessing you mean the Home Page setting for Tabs for opening a new tab.

Normally, I have mine set for "A blank page" so when I open a new tab, I do get a bank page. However, after reading your comment, I went and changed my tab setting to "My home page". Then I opened a new tab and it took me to my customized home page site (Excite portal) on the internet just like it does when I turn on my computer in the morning and then launch Pale Moon using the PM launcher icon.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-10, 18:59, edited 3 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

morri

Unread post by morri » 2018-09-10, 19:01

Yes , The problem is that when I close it and I open it again it sets all settings back to default. As if it is new each time (asking if it is default browser , add ons act like they are new , customisation(zoom controls) disappear, ) tab settings revert to default. etc.
I am using Linux mint qiana. 64bit cinnamon
Last edited by morri on 2018-09-10, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-10, 19:49

I've opened and closed the tab 6 different times and each time I do, it does not change back to the default settings for Pale Moon. It keeps the change I want so I can't reproduce your problem with LPM (28.0.1).

Have your tried Safe Mode or a new clean profile (no extension, no customizations)? Linux Mint 17 (Qiana) Cinnamon in 64 bit is getting "old in the tooth" if you get my drift since (I think) Qiana was released in late 2014.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

morri

Unread post by morri » 2018-09-10, 19:58

the rest of the distro works fine and so did the old palemoon. i am not into distro upgrades much as long everything else works, also just tried as long as the browser is open it will open new windows like it should but as soon as all windows are closed it reverts completely. Maybe theres an issue where the settings are stored.
Last edited by morri on 2018-09-10, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-10, 20:47

I know what I am about to tell you is something you might not want to do, but profiles do get corrupted and when they do, things just don't act like they should especially when it comes to "settings". You can keep your old profile and then just make a new profile. In essence, there will be two profiles listed. Then try the new profile with nothing in it (no extensions, no customizations). Then go into "Tools" and click on "Preferences" and make all the changes you want in there. Then click "Close" and then try out Pale Moon (28.0.1 ).

If it gives you what you want, then load your extensions back "one by one" so you can test each one to make sure it isn't an extension which is causing the problem. Ditto for customizations. If all goes well with the new profile, then delete the old profile.
Off-topic:
As for distro hopping, if you stay with Mint 17, if you would try out Mint 19, you will find there are changes which may confuse you. As an example, when Mint 17 was released, the Domain Blocker was installed by default, but in 19 it isn't now. Since I use Xfce, Xfburn was installed by default in Mint 17, but it isn't now in 19. For both Domain Blocker and Xfburn, I had to install these programs via the Synaptic Package Manager.

There are other changes also, but no need to go into those. Basically, it will be like going from Windows XP straight into Windows 10. BTW, Mint 19.1 (Tessa) will be released sometime in late November or early December of 2018 and will be supported until sometime in 2023./
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-10, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

morri

Unread post by morri » 2018-09-11, 09:50

Just for comprehension with a new profile do you mean create another user(on my distro) or have a separate install of the browser ?

My travel/work laptop has a newer Linux mint(an older thinkpad that I bought used; little space so it is mostly used via external hard drive ) , it is from last autumn i believe.
I havent got a a cd drive on this one and I am not up to the hassle of usb upgrading the distro(and I have had experiences with distro upgrade(on a different pc from way back )which I didnt like (hence the recommendations by some people not to do a direct distro upgrade)

I have just removed pale moon to reinstall it and now it has got some dependency missing. I am just backing up that computer and to run a new install from a stick(have been thinking about that anyway for other reasons. )
Last edited by morri on 2018-09-11, 10:36, edited 3 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-11, 10:38

morri wrote:Just for comprehension with a new profile do you mean create another user(on my distro) or have a separate install of the browser ?

My travel/work laptop has a newer Linux mint(an older thinkpad that I bought used; little space so it is mostly used via external hard drive ) , it is from last autumn i believe.
I havent got a a cd drive on this one and I am not up to the hassle of usb upgrading the distro(and I have had experiences with distro upgrade(on a different pc from way back )which I didnt like (hence the recommendations by some people not to do a direct distro upgrade)
Yes. When doing a new profile, it is the same as creating a new user. When I create a new profile, the old profile is listed as "default profile" and then I create a new profile with the name of "new profile. I then test out the new profile and if I would have had a problem, if the new profile solves the problem, then I start loading back my extensions (one by one), programs, customized settings (one by one). If I do not encounter the problem like I had in the default profile, then I delete the default profile. This just leaves the new profile.
Off-topic:
I'm lucky both of my two laptops have DVD drives in them. I find it is easier for me to download an new linux distro to my Desktop. Then using Xfburn to burn the iso to a DVD disc. Then rebooting my machine so I can get to the Boot Menu and choose to boot from the DVD drive. Once on the Desktop, then I have a choice of playing with the live distro and see if I like it or not. If I like it, then I just left click on the "Install" icon and then it will install the new distro, from the disc in the DVD drive to my existing "C" default hard drive.

With a DVD drive, I can purchase a 100 pack of DVD's for $20. For testing purposes, this comes out a $0.20 (cents) for each DVD I use. If I like the distro, it goes into my DVD storage case.
If I had a laptop without a DVD drive like you have, this would force me to use a usb thumb/flash drive stick so I have to turn a stick into a bootable USB stick. If forced to use this method, then the program I use to make a bootable stick is named, "Etcher" which can be found a the link below.

https://etcher.io/

Etcher is compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows. If you want to see how Etcher works, these two YouTube videos will do that at the links below. BTW Etcher can be installed or used as a portable program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM9xUpLFkRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEy-D8QlrZA

In my opinion, Etcher is a lot easier to use than Rufus. My next door neighbor (who owns a computer repair shop) uses Rufus, but I use Etcher. After showing him how easy Ethcer is to use, he is now starting to use Etcher rather than Rufus. In other words, I've "seduced him to come on over to the Dark Side". ;)

morri

Unread post by morri » 2018-09-11, 17:21

nice thanks for the tip. I think I have used unetbootin before but i cant remember as pointed out its been 4 years since i set up that laptop xD.