How to change the serach plugin language ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
JujuLand
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

How to change the serach plugin language ?

Unread post by JujuLand » 2018-09-08, 16:50

Hi,

I'm french, and I use Palemoon 28.0.1
I want to use Wikipedia (fr) instead of Wikipedia (en)

I have tried editing /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/searchplugins/wikipedia.xml, and also in ~/.moonchild productions/lspoipc5.default, search.json and search-metadata.json but I always have acces to en.wikipedia

Is-it possible and how ?

Thanks
A+

JustOff

Re: How to change the serach plugin language ?

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-08, 17:09

1. Go to https://fr.wikipedia.org
2. Open the list of search engines in Search Toolbar
3. Click to "Add Wikipédia (fr)"

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-09, 13:28

...and this could be easily solved with my "advanced search engine editor" patch. start a rebellion, demand the patch to become official Pale Moon code! viva la resistance! ask your local subcomandante about nearest guerrilla training camps!

(sorry, i just couldn't resist the templation...)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-09, 17:54

Make an extension.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-09, 18:00

to make an extension, i have to rewrite the whole search engine editor, up from its main dialog. 'cause there is absolutely no way to do reliable hooking there. yet the patch is way smaller, and works perfectly. there is already "organize search engines" extension. and man, it is bloated! and most bloat is just a code duplication -- it was literally copy-pasted from browser code at some places. all this instead of a patch that takes ~1.5 pages of text.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-09, 18:02

You were a week ago never going to commit anything ever to Pale Moon again based on some phyosophical reason. Who is going to maintain this search engine editor code should you choose to change your mind again? Who is gonna provide support if a user needs help and who is gonna take the blame if a user mangled their search plugins?

Not to mention, I don't want that kind of useless-to-me functionality in Pale Moon.. That is what extensions were born for.
Extensions page on the Add-ons Site wrote:Extensions are small add-ons that add new functionality to Pale Moon, from a simple toolbar button to a completely new feature. They allow you to customize the browser to fit your own needs and preferences, while letting us keep the core itself light and lean.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-09, 18:12, edited 4 times in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-09, 18:07

(shrugs) tbh, i can't care less too. the patch perfectly works in my builds for years, therefore i don't need to waste time copy-pasting alot of perfectly working code just to bloat a browser. so it is a win-win situation. the only people who lost are users, but meh.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-09, 18:21

What about JustOff and the translators? An editor needs new strings and those strings need translated. Plus lots of QA testing and not to mention once new funtionality is added it can almost never be removed.

Then what if people want this on Basilisk? Well that would need a whole different patch doubling the maintainance, support, and testing.

You can sulk all you want and rationalize what ever notion you want but brand new funtionality is just one more thing we have to deal with long after you get upset at me for pointing it out.

Functionality I and the vast majority do not need.

An extension really is the way to go dude.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-09, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-09, 19:53

@ ketmar,
about your patch, what it does exactly ?
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-09, 19:59

I want to look on it. Will your share it?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-09, 20:05

Nightbird wrote:what it does exactly ?
Fedor2 wrote:I want to look on it.
Here, I guess: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20296&p=151404.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-10, 05:04

viewing and editing search engine paramenters should be in browser core. this is core browser functionality, yet user has zero control over it. no, rearranginging engines, and editing engine name is not a control. user cannot even view what query a search will do, nor fix it, literally, zero control over core-in browser feature. requiring to install addon to regain back control over browser instead of extending browser is mozilla way of thinking.

i am insisting to get this into the core exactly cause... let me stress it: USER SHOULD HAVE CONTROL OVER CORE BROWSER FEATURES WITHOIT INSTALLING ADDONS. for example, preferences dialog doesn't show all preferences, yet there is about:config page to control 'em all. yet there is NOTHING like that for search engines.

no, i won't do any extension for that: this is a completely wrong way to treat users, user control and browser useability. mozilla way. functionality to control core brower features should be in browser core. period.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-10, 05:11

2Nightbird: yeah, there is a screenshot in that topic. it makes search engine editor usable: you can not only change engine name, but look at what request each engine will do, and change anything you like there. something that should be available in core since day one.

2Fedor2: it is a patch in my private Pale Moon fork, buried between other patches, and, tbh, its quality is sub-par. yet it does what i want, and as it will never be accepted in core, i see no reasons to polish it. nothing fancy there, just a dialog ripped from either "organize search engines" or "add to search bar" extension (i don't really remember), and a little code to support it in built-in search engine manager.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-10, 07:19

I consider search edit is poor too.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19702

I can install your patch on my forks, if you do not object of course. And i do not need support with this i shall handle myself.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-10, 07:42

sent via personal message.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-10, 08:15

This is functionality that has never existed and has very limited scope as a usecase. Your argument for NEW functionality as taken/stolen functionality is flawed.

I don't make the ultimate decision and you know that but your manipulation attempt by responding to my realistic and valid conserns the way you have and also handing over the patch to Fedor2 along with your poor me and poor users narrative is designed to get me to support your opinions else I am painted as the bad guy ie Mozilla. Also triggering MozPTSD in anyone passing by. A tactic also employed by Fedor2 and his XP henchmen.

This is to show you how transparent it is. I am truely disappointed. Not only because it was a sucky attempt but that you actually tried to go that route. I expected better from you.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-10, 08:23, edited 3 times in total.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-10, 08:41

i explained why i believe that this functionality should be in browser core. "mozilla didn't wrote it" in this case means the same as "mozilla took it away" -- this is something user should be able to change, yet there is no official way to do so.

you keep insisting that browser's core feature should not be user-editable without installing some addon. from my PoV, this is what mozilla is doing with firefox. i am sorry if it offends you, but this is the basis of my request to include the patch in the core, and there is no other way to explain why i am so stubborn on it. i didn't meant to call you names, nor i am trying to tell that you (or any other PM developer) is "going mozilla route". sorry again, bad wording on my side. i should've been wrote: "in my opinion, it is dangerously close to what mozilla does". mea maxima culpa.

as for sending the patch to Fedor -- what i did wrong here? the patch is quite a mess, if i'll put it into public (i.e. put it on forum), people will be confused. Fedor promised to take it "as is" and do all the rest by himself, so i sent the patch to him via PM. and wrote that i did so, so other people won't think that i simply ignored the request.

p.s.: anyone can simply go to my PM repository on repo.or.cz (it is not that hard to find), and take the patch from it. it is not kept private with some restricted access: all my so-called "private" patches to PM are public (in that sense), and available to everyone.
Last edited by ketmar on 2018-09-10, 08:48, edited 3 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-10, 10:06

JujuLand wrote:Hi,

I'm french, and I use Palemoon 28.0.1
I want to use Wikipedia (fr) instead of Wikipedia (en)

I have tried editing /usr/lib/palemoon/browser/searchplugins/wikipedia.xml, and also in ~/.moonchild productions/lspoipc5.default, search.json and search-metadata.json but I always have acces to en.wikipedia

Is-it possible and how ?

Thanks
A+
http://mycroftproject.com/search-engine ... kipedia+fr

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-10, 11:42

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm
Whats wrong this time, i only asked, i never demand here, anyway whose that motto "your browser you way"?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-10, 15:01

No, ketmar, you're not sorry because your last post has two "you're being Mozilla" and only one "you might not be being Mozilla".

Your argument that not having something is the same as getting it taken away by us or them is totally insane and manipulative at best.

We don't have a way to directly control a lot of things does that mean we or Mozilla or we being Mozilla took those away too? Where does it end? Where does the level of control reach a point where it can get harmful to the user? Where is that line, hmm?

How's this.. If we were truely being Mozilla then we would not only deny your core funtionality change, we'd take away the mechanisms that make it work specifically, then the technology to allow any extensibility of the application. That is what Mozilla did.

No you want to convince me that you should get your way because you are throwing a baby fit even though we restored/added the additional logic to make an extension for this perfectly possible..

I have a theory, you only wanted that so you could push this on us too. You don't actually want to support a bunch of new functionality you just want us to do it for you. That is why you won't take a few hours to cut and paste some code into an overlay/override and build a damn extension.

You also want to justify your earlier decision to not do anything with Pale Moon because of the Code of Conduct you disagree with so fundamentally. So either your principles don't mean a damn and if you get your way in your mind niether do ours and that means a feeling of power over us or you are architecting a situation to punish us and justify yourself.

If any of that is true you have lost more than some pointless search engine metadata editor being in the browser but the remaining respect I have for you.

Additionally, since you know I don't have the final word on core features including directly telling you I don't.. You have your steadfast resistance from me towards it so you already have all you need to justify your position and hand wave any decsisions that are made that you disagree with as being too much like Mozilla.

Do you honestly think "Do this or you're Mozilla" is a stratagy that will ever work?

Oh and Fedor2, butt out.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-10, 15:14, edited 3 times in total.