Request to look into Internet Download Manager add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

benherrmann

Request to look into Internet Download Manager add-on

Unread post by benherrmann » 2018-08-23, 20:57

Hello all...

I've been using the Internet Download Manager (IDA) add-on on all of my Firefox variants for years now because it is one of the fastest and most convenient download managers on the market. It always functioned flawlessly with Pale Moon - but as of Version 28 - it no longer functions.

I contacted the IDA support folks at: https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

Their response was that Pale Moon tends to change things constantly and they cannot make adjustments to their software - that it would have to be the Pale Moon folks that initiates this.

Anyway, I would like to submit IDA as one of the choice add-ons that Pale Moon should accept and approve. What can be done to make this add-on function with the latest version of Pale Moon.

Thanks,

Ben Herrmann

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Request to look into Internet Download Manager add-on

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-23, 21:18

Hello! This has been discussed before. IDM (not IDA btw) is closed, paid and licensed software and iirc the PM team couldn't modify it at will even if they wanted to. If anything, IDM should be the ones to get things going for a solution. We are paying them for their software to work for us (I have anyway), not the free, open-source Pale Moon to make IDM or any of the countless extensions work.

It must be said that the "Pale Moon tends to change things constantly" phrase is downright absurd (and reveals ignorance) and honestly, communication with IDM has always been... weird. They seem to be one of those "take it or leave it" software teams (guess what, had no choice but to leave it).

In fact, I'm not even sure IDM has ever done anything at all for Pale Moon, or their extension just randomly happened to work at times due to the Firefox closeness.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-23, 21:37, edited 8 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-24, 01:00

Can FlashGot interface with IDM?
Does FlashGot work in PM?

If so, maybe you can get the two to dance.

https://flashgot.net/
(Oh, & FlashGot does not work much at all at Youtube, if that matters.)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-24, 09:26

Used Flashgot in the past and it worked fine. Not sure about now. However, the point of having a fully working IDM extension is for its ability to capture video/audio (YouTube included) and integrate with the browser. FlashGot won't be needed at all.

Failing that, IDM+Flashgot will mostly be used for IDM's download managing capabilities (not video grabbing, except for what Flashgot supports and a reduced number of websites IDM can grab without the extension) in which case, any other free download manager can easily replace IDM (there are some good ones out there). No need to pay for something that works at 20% capacity.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-08-24, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-26, 01:24

benherrmann wrote:Their response was that Pale Moon tends to change things constantly and they cannot make adjustments to their software - that it would have to be the Pale Moon folks that initiates this.
Sounds like you can finally stop paying for IDM. I recalled IDM's license key require renewal annually, way back when IDM is version 5.XX. If the dev had been truly honest to you, they would have wrote "It doesn't make any business sense to support a niche product that is only used by less than 0.1% of the population" instead of blaming Pale Moon. That's the response I got.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-08-26, 02:18

Well, my experience with IDM's silly replies has been consistent, if nothing else.

I've sent them countless emails in the past, asking (begging) for compatibility for both PM v26 & PM 27. Their responses were always the same... we won't do it, we can't do it, it's not their responsibility & I should talk to the PM devs (how silly is that one ??!!), etc. etc.. Then magically, a compatible xpi for pale moon just appears a month or so later in the installation folder after an upgrade. The PM v27 compatible xpi wasn't even documented on their site, I just found it because I've trained myself to periodically check the install folder for a new, updated xpi to use.

They make a good product, but have a very weird way of doing business. So, from past experience, I presume the same will happen for v28 compatibility. It's just a matter of being patient (and bombarding them with email requests).

Also, I've never paid a yearly licensing fee. I bought my license about a 100 years ago & it just keeps working. :o

benherrmann

Unread post by benherrmann » 2018-08-26, 20:56

Wow - thanks for all your replies. Yes, that's exactly what the IDM support folks wrote me. After filling out a support request online, I get an email with the following statement:

The Pale Moon folks change things constantly - IDM cannot be modified until Pale Moon recognizes the problem.

This case is now closed.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-26, 21:15

The "Pale Moon changes things constantly" is nothing but an excuse for lazy people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Firefox change every 6 weeks for their newest update and I think Chrome is on a similar schedule.

Basically, the people at IDM only want to support the "big browsers" which are: Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Edge and Safari. This is the short of it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-27, 00:23

Night Wing wrote:The "Pale Moon changes things constantly" is nothing but an excuse for lazy people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Firefox change every 6 weeks for their newest update and I think Chrome is on a similar schedule.
A good response to use, should anyone dare to write back to IDM.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-09-01, 19:41

OK, I'm really confused now. :wtf:

IDM has recently added an installation guide for Pale Moon 28 in the support section of their website, claiming that Pale Moon v28 IS compatible with the idmmzcc2.xpi file.
You have PaleMoon version 28 or above

This version of PaleMoon supports our extension for FireFox, you can install it manually.

http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/ ... /bi29.html

I haven't installed v28 yet... I'm ironing out my kinks first with PM 28 portable. So I tried installing in my portable version with all 3 xpi files, all 3 attempts failed (not compatible).

Can someone who has 28 try to install IDM integration & report back? Maybe IDM has just recently changed the xpi files to make one of them PM compatible? Or maybe it just won't work properly on a portable version? Or maybe this is just more silliness on IDM's part (most likely scenario).

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-09-02, 01:27

Trapper852 wrote:OK, I'm really confused now. :wtf:
Can someone who has 28 try to install IDM integration & report back? Maybe IDM has just recently changed the xpi files to make one of them PM compatible? Or maybe it just won't work properly on a portable version? Or maybe this is just more silliness on IDM's part (most likely scenario).
The screenshots showed the Firefox browser, not Pale Moon. And the installer remains the same version as before (6.31 Build 3). Other than that new FAQ, I don't think the dev did anything, not even a proper testing.
Last edited by hujan86 on 2018-09-02, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-02, 07:54

Not sure what on earth they are talking about (let alone their screenshots). Tried installing idmmzcc2.xpi - IDM 6.31 Build 3 (released Jul 09, 2018):
IDM.png

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-02, 12:09

Installs & gives you IDM related context menu items after having changed the install.rdf file.
(I can't say if it actually does anything.)

I (arbitrarily) changed the m*.Version to:

Code: Select all

<!-- Firefox -->
     <em:targetApplication>
       <Description>
         <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
         <em:minVersion>28.*</em:minVersion>
         <em:maxVersion>63.*</em:maxVersion>
       </Description>
     </em:targetApplication>
I'll also note that in %APPDATA%/Roaming/IDM/ there is a directory, idmmzcc5, which looks to be a 7.3.110 of "Internet Download Manager integration module for Mozilla".
I have no idea about that, or why its there, or ?
I'll note that its' install.rdf specifically mentions Pale Moon, but it also needs modification to install. And it includes binary components, not found in the .xpi version.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-02, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-09-08, 02:34

So... here's my back & forth conversation with the IDM devs, when I requested v28 compatibility.
Hi
Would you please upgrade support for Pale Moon 28.
Your installation guide for Pale Moon 28 in the support section of your website claims that Pale Moon v28 is compatible with the idmmzcc2.xpi file, but it's not. That .xpi file is 6.31 build 3, which was released Jul 09, 2018, and isn't compatible.
Thank you

And their reply to me was....
Hello,

You need to contact Pale Moon developers. They are constantly changing something. We cannot force them to load our add-on.

Best regards,

Dave Saeger
IDM Support
Tonec Inc
To which I responded...
What kind of a non answer is that ??!! That is a response I might expect from a child, not a professional software developer.

1) It's been almost 2 years now since Pale Moon has had a major version upgrade (v27-->v28)
so they are not "constantly changing something" as you claim.
You must be confusing your browsers with that statement: it's Firefox & Chrome that are "constantly changing something"...every 6 weeks, to be precise.

2) Why do I need to contact Pale Moon developers? What would that accomplish besides nothing? Browsers aren't written to accommodate extension compatibility. It's the other way around. It's the responsibility of the extension's authors (you) to ensure the extension is compatible with the browser, especially when said extension is a commercial product that is advertised as being compatible with almost every browser in existence, and that I'm paying you for.

3) "We cannot force them to load our add-on"
What does that even mean??... that statement is totally devoid of logic. Browser developers don't load add-ons (or extensions, to be more precise)... that's what the end user does (me). Obviously though, it's not possible when said extension isn't compatible.

Can we maybe start over again with a response that makes sense?

Thank you
And their final response to me was...
Nothing. Nothing but crickets. They are totally ignoring any other emails I sent them.
I have to say, those are a strange bunch of people running the IDM ship. This was my exact same experience when I requested Pale Moon compatibility for v26 & v27. Both of those times though, a compatible xpi just magically appeared after a month or two, so who knows what's going to happen this time around. :sick:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-08, 05:31

Yea, that's why I gave up on them years ago. Instead, I use Internet Download Accelerator Pro
with FlashGot 1.5.6.14. I will admit though, I really liked IDM better.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-09-10, 02:12

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Yea, that's why I gave up on them years ago. Instead, I use Internet Download Accelerator Pro
with FlashGot 1.5.6.14. I will admit though, I really liked IDM better.
I wasn't familiar with Internet Download Accelerator, so I took a look at it. It's not bad, has a lot of similarities to IDM, but also has some downsides too. It's certainly better than a lot of the others I've looked at (both free & paid). I might eventually go with this one... thanks for the tip.

It's just frustrating though, having to hobble & string a bunch of stuff together, just to get something somewhat close to what IDM delivered in one package... & it's still deficient in some areas.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-10, 02:24

Trapper852 wrote:It's just frustrating though, having to hobble & string a bunch of stuff together, just to get something somewhat close to what IDM delivered in one package... & it's still deficient in some areas.
I feel ya, but after years of not using it, I have been ok without it.
Just takes a bit of first learning and then it's smooth sailing from there.

If you decide to use it and have any questions, let me know. ;)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-10, 10:18

Does Internet Download Accelerator also use an extension? Is it working and updated with Pale Moon?

edit: I see a toolbar here and an extension here.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-10, 10:20, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-10, 14:18

Well, I tried and failed. There's only one version here which is obviously not compatible. The program itself (v.6.16) only includes the toolbar (which installs ok but is not enough) and the above WebExtension. They also suggest using FlashGot but that's old and I guess not really the best choice to grab current videos.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-10, 14:20, edited 4 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-10, 14:59

on linux which doesn't have IDM, i make do with DownThemAll which comes the closest in all-around functionality to IDM