Problem with adblockers and score on html5test.com

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Problem with adblockers and score on html5test.com

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-08, 18:19

Wolfbeast told me on github to post this here to see if the issue can be reproduced so i'll copy/paste what i wrote there:

"Got the latest version of basilisk 32 bit (09/05/18) on Win7 x64 and the browser hangs/locks itself for some time when it's blocking ads, i tried latest abprime, adblock plus and adblock (and its clones). I dont remember if it hanged with ublock and its clones but i guess it happened too. I didnt have this problem with pale moon 27. I know this happens when the lists are being updated but i dont understand why this happens when they arent being updated."

The 2nd thing i noticed is that basilisk scores 465 on html5test.com while on firefox 52 which it gets its source code from scores 474. Why this happens? I enabled everything i could find to raise the score.
Last edited by Aztec on 2018-09-08, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Problem with adblockers and score on html5test.com

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-08, 20:08

What domains do your blockers show as being blocked on that site?

Other then your adblocker, are you using any other extensions?
If you disable all other extensions except for your adblocker, does the issue persist?
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-08, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-09, 01:43

As requested on github
First step will still be to go to the forum, provide information, and get confirmed that it is indeed a bug with the platform/browser.
Part of that will be to provide details about your environment and a copy of troubleshooting information from the browser.

Please provide the information detailed here: IMPORTANT: Information to include when asking for support

Also please provide some links to sites where the problem occurs. Do this even if you feel that it happens "everywhere".
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-09-09, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-09, 08:26

Aztec wrote:The 2nd thing i noticed is that basilisk scores 465 on html5test.com while on firefox 52 which it gets its source code from scores 474. Why this happens? I enabled everything i could find to raise the score.
Service workers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-10, 04:10

Service workers are undesirable for several reasons, not in the least the constant server tethering they allow, privacy issues, and potential for remote computational abuse whenever you are using your browser. Remember the whole push notification issue? service workers is like that but worse since it's not centrally managed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-09-11, 09:31

Not always is a higer HTML5 score better. There are quite a lot privacy and security violating "standards" included in the score list - Nothing of which a privacy or security loving person should be proud of.

Numbers counting is the worst what someone can do. If there is an actual issue that you can not visit a certain page, report that. Otherwise, just do not worry about useless numbers and use the browser instead :)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-09-11, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-22, 17:47

Thanks for the replies ppl but i was hoping someone would be able to reproduce the problem i got, anyone saw something similar to this?
Core i7 3770 3.4 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-24, 16:07

HTML5.test grants points according to the number of features supported by the browser.
For some of those features I'd prefer to not even have them present in my browser. At least there should be options for disabling them.
Only two examples:
Service Workers, another blessing for users we should primarily thank Google for.
Service Workers are in the first place a huge privacy concern - for those who care at least.
They install in background and also run silently. They can come from any website and don't require the originating website for running.
They improve tracking and targeting. They can be even used as a botnet: link.
Add to the above several past security issues related to those awesome Service Workers like: CVE-2016-5259, CVE-2016-2812, CVE-2016-1949, CVE-2016-5287.
Beacon aka navigator.sendBeacon, another great feature pushed by Google. It's a great phone home mechanism meant to send whatever data to (potentially cross-domain) servers, particularly when leaving a page: link).

AFAIK none of the two features above can be disabled in Chrome.
By doing so Google makes sure that clueless users will always get the best results when testing their browser at HTML5test.com.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-24, 18:37

I tweaked Basilisk in order to increase the security level (i disabled geo, service workers, beacon, webRTC, ...)
guess : score 373 :D
In short, i don't care the HTML5.test.
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-09-24, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Aztec
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Aztec » 2018-09-25, 17:23

Thanks guys for your opinions about the score but did anyone of you were able to reproduce the problem i got with adblockers?
Core i7 3770 3.4 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Win10 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-25, 19:19

Aztec wrote:did anyone of you were able to reproduce the problem i got with adblockers?

therube wrote:What domains do your blockers show as being blocked on that site?
coffeebreak wrote:As requested on github
First step will still be to go to the forum, provide information, and get confirmed that it is indeed a bug with the platform/browser.
Part of that will be to provide details about your environment and a copy of troubleshooting information from the browser.

Please provide the information detailed here: IMPORTANT: Information to include when asking for support

Also please provide some links to sites where the problem occurs. Do this even if you feel that it happens "everywhere".