Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by gepus » 2018-08-25, 17:41

greyowl wrote: I am interested in the PM 28 version that will work on XP. Please provide the link.
Thanks
That is an unofficial fork of Pale Moon. Therefore, by posting a direct link could break the rules of this forum.
However, you can find it by searching the MSFN forums.
greyowl wrote: BTW, how do I go about removing "dom.messageChannel.enabled?" if I later decide it is not needed?
By "Reset". At next browser start the pref won't be there anymore.

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-25, 17:59

greyowl wrote:I am interested in the PM 28 version that will work on XP. Please provide the link.
Thanks
I have not tested it yet, but here's the fork I found:

https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

Scroll down to PM28XP build.

More info on it here:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/

It appears this is managed by roytam1, the fellow who discovered the reCaptcha fix in this very thread!
Last edited by Montclair on 2018-08-25, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-25, 18:03

It does nothing in PM 28 -- if you still get different results then it just underlines how fickle Google's captcha is
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CharlieSummers

Unread post by CharlieSummers » 2018-08-25, 22:24

roytam1 wrote:1. goto about:config, add new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".
2. reload the page that has recaptcha
Please forgive the "Me, too," but I also thank you heaps. Yes, I know I need to upgrade the browsers, but I use portable versions and they're a little more a pain to update than an installed one. And I wanted to spend money at NewEgg, which requires a ReCaptcha if logging in from a VPN, so again my thanks!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-26, 16:13

Off-topic:
Montclair wrote:In the interim, the webmaster at Flixtor did turn off reCaptcha for PM users.
Montclair wrote:Since reCaptcha has been temporarily disabled on Flixtor ...

Recaptcha at Flixtor has somehow been "alive and well" for me.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-26, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Andreus

Unread post by Andreus » 2018-08-28, 22:02

Recaptcha isn't even letting me click the "I'm not a robot" button anymore. Please fix this.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-29, 01:23

Andreus wrote:Recaptcha isn't even letting me click the "I'm not a robot" button anymore. Please fix this.

Which version of Pale Moon are you using?
If it's PM27.*, please see post by roytam1 here.

Massimo_B
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Massimo_B » 2018-09-01, 11:31

CharlieSummers wrote:
roytam1 wrote:1. goto about:config, add new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".
This solved some issue for me where I was not even able to send the capture answer, button was not working.
What does this setting actually do?

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2018-09-02, 05:06

coffeebreak wrote:
Andreus wrote:Recaptcha isn't even letting me click the "I'm not a robot" button anymore. Please fix this.

Which version of Pale Moon are you using?
If it's PM27.*, please see post by roytam1 here.
Thanks. I thought I broke something with an extension. This fixed things for me as well.

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2018-09-03, 09:07

roytam1 wrote:
Sajadi wrote:As in combination with Recaptcha in Pale Moon 27.x the following message appears in the error console
"MessageChannel is not defined"

perhaps that could have something to do with that one here?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677638 - (MessageChannel) Implement HTML5's channel messaging API

Just a guess ;)

At least Google spits out some Bugzilla entries related to this issue:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei= ... MWgla454OE
actually this can be resolved:

1. goto about:config, add new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".
Thanks, this captcha-fix works great. (did not update to 28 due to memory issues and other growing pains that come with a new major version.)

faithbuilders
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by faithbuilders » 2018-09-03, 15:45

I don't even get the "not a robot" check box on my computer. Does not matter what browser I use. More frustrating than having to do the puzzle 20 times. I have to use my laptop to enter any site that has the re-captcha

cegoj

Unread post by cegoj » 2018-09-08, 06:52

I've the same problem. Recaptcha not longer solvable since a few days or weeks because the 'not a robot' check box can not be clicked. After a few seconds only the message "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try reloading the page" appears. Tried with Pale Moon 27 and Pale Moon 28 under Linux Debian stable 32bit and Linux Ubuntu LTS 32bit.

My only solution is to use another browser. But that is hard because on old WinXP machines (replaced by debian or ubuntu) with max 3MB to have 2 Browsers open. It starts swapping soon. Normally I only use Palemoon and ditch all other browsers to spare me the daily update craziness of Firefox or Chrome. Palemoon is much more friendly in that hindsight and has even more benefits like increased privacy and less %cpu and memory usage. Please get that fixed.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-09-08, 07:48

For me, probably just hours ago, it looks like mostly the same thing as before. Many of them crosswalks. It easily made me do one 20 times or the like! :evil: This was with Discord. Heads up, Discord is using ReCAPTCHA 2x, IIRC!

cegoj

Unread post by cegoj » 2018-09-08, 08:48

I hate recaptcha v2. It's simply not solveable under a minimum of one or even two minutes. It only makes me angry to click senseless on traffic signs or shop fronts. What a waste of time each time you get a captcha challenge. This way surfing is no fun. I've really started to look for alternative web sites to get my info and thus changed my browsing habits. Some web sites are now losing traffic from me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-08, 17:13

cegoj wrote:I hate recaptcha v2. It's simply not solveable under a minimum of one or even two minutes. It only makes me angry to click senseless on traffic signs or shop fronts. What a waste of time each time you get a captcha challenge. This way surfing is no fun. I've really started to look for alternative web sites to get my info and thus changed my browsing habits. Some web sites are now losing traffic from me.
You should let those websites know that you're leaving and why.

The only real way to combat this biased madness is to have webmasters wake up to the terrible paces they are putting their visitors through with reCAPTCHA, enough to make them stop returning, so they might actually look for alternatives. If enough people follow up on that it will raise red flags at Google and -maybe- they'll do something about it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

HyacinthBucket

Unread post by HyacinthBucket » 2018-09-08, 21:44

This is probably a very limited solution and I'm a completely non-tech old lady but it might work in the right conditions. So if this is a useless response, my apologies.

Using PM 27.9.3 with Vista. Logging in to the NY Times site in the last week (first time I've run into this problem with PM) just resulted in one of those spinning "waiting" graphics and the order to "update to a supported browser" after I entered my login info and tried to get the reCaptcha to work. (I'd logged in successfully several times before using Chrome and still had Chrome and the NYT website open in another window so maybe that helped). So I tried just entering my user email and clicking the "Forgot my password" link and was able to bypass the reCaptcha completely by using the password recovery and changing my PW. It's too early to tell how long it will stick, and I've only tried it once, but it might be worth a try under the right circumstances.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-09, 01:03

HyacinthBucket wrote:So I tried just entering my user email and clicking the "Forgot my password" link and was able to bypass the reCaptcha completely by using the password recovery and changing my PW.

That's an interesting strategy. Thank you for sharing it.

A question ...
Since you're using PM 27.*, did you try the solution posted here by @roytam1?
Does it help?

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-09-09, 01:33

77b9455d68.jpg

:shock:
ImageImage

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2018-09-09, 03:11

OMG... that is hilarious !! I almost chocked on a mouthful of coffee when I saw that. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Priceless :lol:]

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-09, 04:12

Oh my god. This is perfect. :lol:
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story