Closed (i.e., "former") windows reopen on next PM launch

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
markfilipak

Closed (i.e., "former") windows reopen on next PM launch

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-09-06, 22:37

Scenario:
I close some PM windows -- call them: "former" windows -- but leave others open when I 'Quit'.
Behavior:
When I launch PM, those "former" windows sometimes reappear.
Repeatability:
Not repeatable.

The only way I've found to reliably eliminate "former" windows is to 'Restart...', let PM restart, and then 'Quit'.

I believe PM is not always properly saving its window list prior to quitting.

Note that I've tried various other methods, such as using the close [X] buttons to close the "former" windows prior to 'Quit', closing all the tabs in the "former" windows prior to 'Quit', etc. None of those methods are reliable.

Warm Regards,
Mark.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Closed (i.e., "former") windows reopen on next PM launch

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-06, 23:11

Noted here, viewtopic.php?p=144562#p144562:
If I close all but the main window of my session and quit, starting Pale Moon later brings up the closed windows, always. Looks like session is not being saved properly. I quit browser using Ctrl+Q, and have given sufficient time (10s) for session files to be saved.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-09-07, 02:22

therube wrote:Noted here, viewtopic.php?p=144562#p144562:
If I close all but the main window of my session and quit, starting Pale Moon later brings up the closed windows, always. Looks like session is not being saved properly. I quit browser using Ctrl+Q, and have given sufficient time (10s) for session files to be saved.
I have tried providing additional time. That's unreliable. Selecting (via menu) 'Restart...', then allow restart, then select 'Quit' seems to always work properly. I posted this with the hope that this information, this procedure would provide the needed clue to tracking down the bug.

markfilipak

Unread post by markfilipak » 2018-09-09, 06:14

UPDATE
'Restart...', let PM restart, and then 'Quit' IS NOT RELIABLE either.

So, I appears there's no way to prevent PM from reopening windows that were closed in a previous session.