Another reminder of why I avoid (as possible) all things Google

General discussion and chat (archived)
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Another reminder of why I avoid (as possible) all things Google

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-13, 15:36

Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-08-13, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Another reminder of why I avoid (as possible) all things Google

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-08-13, 15:46

I'm not surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHwl6AyL6js
(watch from 2:15:55)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-08-13, 19:20

Hey I have a Samsung TV and every time now when I connect to the internet I am overrun with a Google app. Samsung says there is no way to delete it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-08-15, 21:20

And you think this is not worth worry about. You need to understand where this stuff is all heading.

From Forbes" To Catch A Robber, The FBI Attempted An Unprecedented Grab For Google Location Data
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/08/15/to-catch-a-robber-the-fbi-attempted-an-unprecendeted-grab-for-google-location-data/#7ac76adb741d
Back in March, as it investigated a spate of armed robberies across Portland, Maine, the FBI made an astonishing, unprecedented request of Google. The feds wanted the tech giant to find all users of its services who’d been within the vicinity of at least two of nine of those robberies. They limited the search to within 30-minute timeframes around when the crimes were committed. But the request covered a total space of 45 hectares and could’ve included anyone with an Android or iPhone using Google’s tools, not just the suspect.

The FBI then demanded a lot of personal information on affected users, including their full names and addresses, as well as their Google account activity. The feds also wanted all affected users’ historical locations. According to court records, while Google didn’t provide the information, the cops still found their suspect in the end.
Anybody want to borrow one of my tin foil hats? It's just a matter of time before there is no refusal, the info is just handed over. But here is the thing. If you do not register with nor use anything Google sells, makes or uses to collect your data, they cannot share it with anybody. The same applies to any site which survives by sucking out information on you the the greatest extent they can.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-16, 00:00

helloimustbegoing wrote:As the subject line says:

Google may track your location even if you disable Location tracking
Google's disrespect of user's privacy remains as the very reason I do not use Android phone.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-02, 15:49

Google and Mastercard Cut a Secret Ad Deal to Track Retail Sales:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... tail-sales
"People don’t expect what they buy physically in a store to be linked to what they are buying online,” said Christine Bannan, counsel with the advocacy group Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC).
"There’s just far too much burden that companies place on consumers and not enough responsibility being taken by companies to inform users what they’re doing and what rights they have.”

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-02, 16:04

Solution: buy everything with cash.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-02, 17:32

Or.........buy with a personal check.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-02, 17:57

Night Wing wrote:personal check
LOL!
Haven't seen anyone use those things since the 90s.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-02, 18:30

Night Wing wrote:Or.........buy with a personal check.
A number of places don't accept personal checks, and very few online retailers accept any forms of currency that are not electronic.

Here's what I want to know: How much of the information that Google bought actually belongs to Google customers? That is to say - what legal/moral justification could they possibly provide for obtaining data from non-customers? This is no different (and no better) than Facebook profile non-Facebook users, IMO.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-09-02, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-02, 20:06

Tomaso wrote:
Night Wing wrote:personal check
LOL!
Haven't seen anyone use those things since the 90s.
I think you and I are thinking of something totally different from one another.

I'm pretty sure you've got a checking account with a bank. And I'm pretty sure if you've got a checking account, at one time, you were issued some checks to write a check from a checkbook to make a purchase at a local retail store like Macy's, Sears, etc.

Not everyone is chained to or only think payment has to be with a credit card such as a Mastercard, Visa, etc. When I go out shopping for a particular item, I always take with me my wallet which contains one Mastercard, one Visa card and $200 in cash. Along with my wallet, I take my checkbook with me too.

I don't do financial transactions online for retail stuff, I also don't do online banking. My recent example is below.

When I bought a custom made standup paddleboard for my height and weight this past December of 2017, which was built in Santa Barbara (California), the final price came to over $2400, I had to use my Mastercard to complete the transaction over the phone since I was sitting at my computer at my home in Texas. I like the old fashion way of giving my credit card number, with the corresponding 3 digit code on the back of the card and in the above case, I was talking to the owner of the company and he was the one who took my credit card info. Two months later, my custom board was shipped to a shipping terminal in northwest Houston where I picked it up.

When I received my credit statement via snail mail, with the $2400 payment due, I could have sent the credit card company a check from my checkbook via return snail mail, but I didn't and for a very good reason. The reason being, if the US Postal Service looses my check "in the mail" and it doesn't arrive on time at the credit card company (or never arrives), I would get hit with a 27% "late fee" which would come to ($648).

Since I don't online transactions or online banking, I paid the credit card company using their "pay by phone" method which means I talked to the custom service rep, gave them the routing number to my bank and my account number and the credit card company got their $2400 right then and there.

If anyone would break into my home while I'm gone and steal my four computers, since there is no financial info on any of my computers, the thief or thieves would get "diddlysquat".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-02, 20:43

Isengrim wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Or.........buy with a personal check.
A number of places don't accept personal checks, and very few online retailers accept any forms of currency that are not electronic.

Here's what I want to know: How much of the information that Google bought actually belongs to Google customers? That is to say - what legal/moral justification could they possibly provide for obtaining data from non-customers? This is no different (and no better) than Facebook profile non-Facebook users, IMO.
I think your idea of a personal check is also different than mine.

I needed a new full sized mattress (plus foundation and pillow) for our computer room and I searched online using Google for different brands (and reviews) and finally settled on one. Then on July 28th (a Saturday), I went down to Mattress (1) One in Houston, Texas and bought a full sized Sealy Posturepedic "Hybrid Silver Chill Plush" medium soft mattress for the full sized bed frame in our computer room (my man cave). The price was over $2200.

When the salesman and I were finalizing the deal, he asked me which credit card I was going to use (Mastercard, Visa, etc). I guess people now are "trained" to whip out a credit card to make purchases these days. I told the salesman I was going to pay by "check" since paying by check is still legal tender (at least it still is in the state of Texas where I live) with a valid driver's license.

The salesman informed me if I payed with a credit card, the mattress would arrive in three days (on Tuesday, July 31st per their delivery truck). But if I paid by check from my checkbook, the company would have to wait till the check clears and I wouldn't get the mattress on Tuesday. I told the salesman I don't mind waiting, but if the company was not going to let me pay by check, then the deal was "off".

I knew the company was going to accept my check (with my driver's license info on it) and the salesman knew he was going to accept my check. In the end, Mattress (1) One accepted the check and the mattress arrived at my home via their delivery truck on Friday (August 3rd).

I told the salesman, accepting the check was a better deal for the company because the company would get the entire amount. Paying by credit card, Mattress (1) One would have to pay the credit card company a "percentage" of the final cost of the mattress. I just wish I knew how much Mattress (1) One would have had to pay the credit card company (percentage wise) if I would have paid by credit card.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-09-02, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-21, 22:48

Google Says It Continues to Allow Apps to Scan Data From Gmail Accounts:
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/google ... 537459989/
Using software tools provided by Gmail and other email services, outside app developers can access information about what products people buy, where they travel and which friends and colleagues they interact with the most.
In some cases, employees at these app companies have read people’s actual emails in order to improve their software algorithms.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-22, 08:51

Since it entered the browser market Google is acting like cancer.
At the beginning it sneaked onto computers bundled with other software like crapware. With a multimillion advertising campaign they bought the goodwill of reviewers and tech magazines. Next step was to use non standard (at least for that time) code in some of their popular services so competition should look bad. As if this weren't enough, browser sniffing adopted by operators close to Google was another tactic to screw the competition.
Opera Presto was a prominent victim.
An old dream of a three letter agency comes true. One browser to rule them all.
Wonder how long it will take till Google in alliance with Microsoft, Apple and Intel will standardize new APIs for browsers which can read and transmit your blood pressure, the time and nature of your last meal or the time of your last sexual activity. Reading out the serial number of your devices could be implemented quite soon. And don't tell me that you will use a browser that doesn't do such things. You'll get a warning that your browser is outdated and not supported by the server. Once a technology is on the table and OSs supporting it have enough market share, it will be enforced.
However such an orwellian browser can be a bless for you. It can improve your health, your diet and last but not least your sexual life.
That's what advertisements are for. :)
As for the unique identification, it will help your local authorities to warn you if you are reading fake news and give some advice for verified sites worth to visit.
So you can stay up to date and well informed.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-09-22, 11:36

Night Wing wrote:...
Thanks for letting us and Google/Alphabet know so much about "Night *****s credit cards" :D
Hopefully they can't locate your home...

* just a friendly reminder, that Google is what people give them. ;)
Last edited by loxodont on 2018-09-22, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-25, 05:27

loxodont wrote:
Night Wing wrote:...
Thanks for letting us and Google/Alphabet know so much about "Night *****s credit cards" :D
Hopefully they can't locate your home...

* just a friendly reminder, that Google is what people give them. ;)
I'm guessing Google knows more about you than it does about me.

I don't have a Facebook account, I don't have a Twitter account, I don't have an Instagram account, etc. I don't have a Gmail account. I don't use the linux or windows Google Chrome browser since Google can see my linux or windows Pale Moon's user agent. Even though I have credit cards, I don't do any banking or credit card financial transactions online since I don't have any banking or credit card accounts setup online. I do all of payments for my credit cards with a land line phone via "payment by phone". I don't have a PayPal account (my wife does). And I don't own a smartphone. Just an old fashioned clam flip style phone and this cell phone is never connected to the internet.

And if I have to make a long distance purchase with my credit cards for a big ticket item dollar amount wise, again, I make the payment with a land line phone call. And these big ticket items are usually "far and few inbetween". I still pay all of my bills with a check from my checkbook which is becoming a rarity in this day and age and send the payment by "snail mail".

When I do use Google, it is for what I'm guessing Google would call "mundane things" such as:

Looking up high and low tides for coastal cruising, sup surfing, saltwater fishing. How to tie fishing knots like a fly fishing "nail knot". Moon rise and moon set times for a full moon, moonlight flat water sup paddling session which I wanted to do tonight since the moon is almost full, but it is cloudy where I live tonight so my moonlight paddling session will not be happening. How to get rid of an underground yellow jackets nest. Best rehab exercises after a surgical repair for a severely torn rotator cuff. Custom made recurve archery bows, right wing parabolic feathers in various high visibility colors, etc. I've got more mundane things I could list, but there is no need to type a manuscript.

As for YouTube which Google does own; again Google knows I don't use it's browser. Google knows I like music (and music videos), Google knows I like standup paddling board videos, Google knows I like science fiction movies. Google knows I like weather sites. Google knows I'm not into politics since I don't do any political searches in Google.

I do use Google Maps in both street, map and satellite view, but again, just to look up mundane things like a cut into a dune break so I can drive my vehicle onto the beach at high tide. And I've never looked up my home where I live in satellite view.

I'm pretty sure Google doesn't find me an attractive person to throw ads at based on what I look up in Google. In fact, I think Google would find me "down right boring". Maybe this is why I don't see many ads based on what I look up in Google when I visit sites. Any ads I do see, they aren't anything I'm remotely interested in because Google just doesn't have a good advertising profile on me.

Now, can you make the same claim?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-25, 10:32

I was annoyed enough when they took away the build options for Chromium that allowed building without Sync, WebRTC, and Widevine. But I'm not surprised about this. When will people learn that Google Chrome is, and has been for a long time, the most intrusive spyware ever invented?
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-09-25, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-09-25, 12:18

Isengrim wrote:
I was annoyed enough when they took away the build options for Chromium that allowed building without Sync, WebRTC, and Widevine. But I'm not surprised about this. When will people learn that Google Chrome is, and has been for a long time, the most intrusive spyware ever invented?
Most people simply don't care about privacy.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-26, 14:51

Seems like Google is backing out a few changes after their power users complained loudly enough:
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/26/chang ... troversies
ghacks wrote:1. The company plans to add a new preference to the privacy and security settings of the browser to disable the link between the Chrome account and Google accounts on the Web.
2. Visual changes to the Sync interface to make the current status clearer to users (signed out, signed out but not syncing, and syncing).
3. The Google auth cookie will be cleared with all the other cookies when users clear cookies in the web browser.
a.k.a. Ascrod