Significant performance degradation after upgrade to v28

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Felix_Cold

Re: Significant performance degradation after upgrade to v28

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 11:52

yami_ wrote:IMHO: This GPU is to slow / has too little RAM to run two Pale Moon instances at the same time.
How PM is specific in this case from another software including browsers?
Why Chrome based browsers (even if working simultaneously, say Chrome itself and Opera) do not experience similar problems despite much more amount of active windows/tabs in them and also - much more used RAM, up to fully exhausted and then working using page file?

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-08-24, 19:41

Disabling fixed problem for me, but rose cpu load. I have old videocards mostly, consider users would replace them for free, otherwise they will replace the browser. I try change hardware acceleration code with older from Palemoon 27.

UPDATE:
It may be the fix
Enable back hardware acceleration, set webgl.disable-angle true and javascript.options.mem.gc_incremental_slice_ms 100 instead 10
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-08-25, 00:41, edited 2 times in total.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-25, 07:09

Seems like I haven't mentioned hardware acceleration - tried both "on" and "off" in both browsers (stationary and portable), didn't notice any difference.

At the moment both browsers have hardware acceleration "off" and as amount of windows/tabs in new portable version gets closer to the same as in stationary PM, amount of problems and hanging/crashing frequency/interval also gets close, thus again pointing to the very PM as the source of the problem.

Counted overall tab amount more precisely - actually, I have 125 tabs in 8 windows.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-25, 15:36

Further testing of both PM browsers next to each other with the same load of windows and tabs confirmed very close conformity between their (problematic) behavior.

Interestingly also, the most obvious problem when testing them together is that most of the time they conflict with each other for CPU resources (thus CPU load is almost all the time 100%, shared mostly between two PM processes).

If left alone for some time and especially after closing one of them, CPU load usually gets to normal level after a while.

But then it is enough to make some simple actions in any of browsers (or start second one if just one was running before), and CPU conflict kicks in again.

So, for the moment it has been confirmed that problem very likely originates from the very updated PM and not from something outside.

Still suspecting that updated PM has difficulties because of too high load (amount of windows/tabs), now I'm intended to divide existing window/tab load (about 130 tabs in 8 windows) more-less equally between two PM browsers to see if their behavior will improve in result (as I suspect it to happen) - or not.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-25, 15:47

As Moonchild has tried out something as written here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20064&p=149539#p149539

A fresh download of the portable and seeing if something has changed would be for sure no bad idea ;)

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2018-08-27, 17:31

I've been trying to work out some strange behaviors, too. I've reset my testbed, which takes a bit of time, so I'm not willing to experiment again until somewhere between 28.0.1 and 28.1.0, depending on the fixes. In the meantime I'd like to ask you a few questions that may help me in future diagnostics. At this point I'm speculating that it's some sort of memory corruption/leakage issue.
1) is your pagefile on another drive besides C:\ ?
2) do you have nVidia's telemetry (container) turned off?
3) does flushing your PM memory and/or disk cache help, hurt, or not make any difference?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-27, 17:44

1) can't imagine that makes any difference
3) can cause issues (though not saying has any bearing in this case), though simple enough to clear & rule out

fifonik

Unread post by fifonik » 2018-08-27, 22:17

It's a good idea to back up your profile before every major upgrade so you can roll back if something is not right.

P.S. I have also downgraded to v27 as 28 stops responding for me randomly about twice a day and I could not find the source of the issue.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2018-08-29, 09:44

I have been able to reproduce this slowness and hanging issues in Windows 7 x86 virtual machine (2GB RAM, Dual-Core) with no addons installed and Pale Mono 28.0.0.1 x86 version with new profile. Problem is not present in Windows 7 x64 virtual machine.

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 28.0.0.1 (32-bit)
Build ID: 20180826155251
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/28.0.0.1
Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (Disabled)
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Graphics
--------

Features
Compositing: Basic
Asynchronous Pan/Zoom: none
WebGL 1 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000000000) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 1 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Software Adapter Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
WebGL 1 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 1 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture
WebGL 1 Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_element_index_uint OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc MOZ_WEBGL_depth_texture
WebGL 2 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 0000000000000000) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 2 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Software Adapter Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
WebGL 2 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 2 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture GL_EXT_texture_norm16
WebGL 2 Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
Hardware H264 Decoding: No; Hardware video decoding disabled or blacklisted
Audio Backend: wasapi
Direct2D: Blocked for your graphics card because of unresolved driver issues.
DirectWrite: false (6.2.9200.22164)
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: VMware SVGA 3D
Vendor ID: 0x15ad
Device ID: 0x0405
Driver Version: 7.14.1.5026
Driver Date: 10-28-2013
Drivers: vm3dum vm3dgl
Subsys ID: 040515ad
RAM: 128

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: skia
AzureContentBackend: cairo
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
Decision Log
D3D11_COMPOSITING:
Blocklisted; failure code BLOCKLIST_FEATURE_FAILURE_UNKNOWN_DEVICE_VENDOR
D3D9_COMPOSITING:
Blocklisted; failure code BLOCKLIST_FEATURE_FAILURE_UNKNOWN_DEVICE_VENDOR
DIRECT2D:
unavailable by default: Direct2D requires Direct3D 11 compositing
D3D11_HW_ANGLE:
unavailable by default: D3D11 compositing is disabled
disabled by env: D3D11 compositing is disabled

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.filesystem_reported: 1
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20180826155251
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 4.1.4
extensions.lastAppVersion: 28.0.0.1
font.internaluseonly.changed: false
gfx.content.azure.backends: direct2d1.1, skia, cairo
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion: 28.0.0.1
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.deviceID: 0x0405
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.driverVersion: 7.14.1.5026
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d2d: false
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d3d11: false
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d11layers: 2
media.hardware-video-decoding.failed: false
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.database.lastMaintenance: 1535492414
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 122334
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true
storage.vacuum.last.index: 0
storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite: 1535492414

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.19
Version in use: 4.19

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.36.4
Version in use: 3.36.4

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL

X86 version problems seems rather large. Switching between tabs is very slow and hangs often. Loading websites is slow and can hang. I had 11-13 tabs open in virtual machine during testing.

I have not been able to reproduce youtube videos not playing problem or crashes, only hangs

Largest noticeable problems in hang stack of WhatIshang were in stable version of PM: GC_SLICE_MS (telemetry), https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/5 ... L%/%OS_VER, Browser:ForwardOrForwardDuplicate and Gecko_IOThread.

Largest noticeable problems in hang stack in unstable version: Browser:ForwardOrForwardDuplicate, https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/5 ... L%/%OS_VER and Gecko_IOThread.

Also it would have helped if people provided troubleshooting details instead of just saying x86 version sucks. PM28 is major milestone some initial problems can happen in large platform fork. It can be frustrating for users that x86 version has these problems but it can also be frustrating for developers to not get details what is wrong and having guess why x86 version has these problems. It would be faster for everybody in future if people can provide troubleshooting information instead of just saying browser sucks which is not constructive way forward.

I can't reproduce these hangs in Firefox ESR 52.9 x86 version but I can reproduce them also In Basilisk browser x86 version.

It doesn't matter if hardware acceleration is force enabled for VM or disabled, hangs happens.

I can also provide about:memory report and verbose GC and CC logs if you want those Moonchild?

First in this post I will provide stable version of Pale Moon whatishang hang reports. I can provide unstable reports later.
Attachments
hang2 websites loading.txt
(423.83 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
hang3 tab switching.txt
(211.77 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
hang4 tab switching.txt
(214.63 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
hang5 tab switching.txt
(214.33 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
hang6 tab switching.txt
(216.69 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
hang7 tab switching.txt
(219.79 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
hang8.txt
(203.92 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
hang9.txt
(209.34 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
hang10.txt
(214.34 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
hang11.txt
(211.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by win7-7 on 2018-08-29, 10:55, edited 10 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-29, 12:10

Opened Issue #739 (UXP) to track this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mikele1959
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mikele1959 » 2018-08-29, 14:10

win7-7 wrote:I have been able to reproduce this slowness and hanging issues in Windows 7 x86 virtual machine (2GB RAM, Dual-Core) with no addons installed and Pale Mono 28.0.0.1 x86 version with new profile. Problem is not present in Windows 7 x64 virtual machine.
you lucky, for me 28.0.0.1 is the worse than ever ..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-29, 14:30

Well if it wasn't compiler optimizations that were causing the issue reducing optimizations would make the problem worse because it is .. LESS optimized. However, we did need to rule that out because setting up an environment to reproduce (which we now have) wasn't trivial.

Remain calm.

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2018-08-29, 17:36

Excellent work, win7-7.

Unfortunately I can't provide that level of detail, but I did come across something that others may not have run into that could give the developers some hint. With anything of the nature of EMET or MB Anti-exploit disabled for PM, launching IE exhibited some strange behaviors like I'd never seen before between two separate applications. If I hadn't launched PM, IE would run normally. After launching PM, trying to start IE would either give me the Windows IE stopped working dialog box, or it would start very slowly and then have a corrupted user interface, e.g. missing elements (black). If the video cleared up and I tried to do anything, it would either work very slowly or crash. And, of course, the CPU would be running very high.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-08-30, 20:31

Well, i have tested palemoon 28 in relatively new hardware: i5-4670 3,4 GHZ, 18gb RAM, AMD Radeon 7800 2gb, win7x64 - no obstacle and loss of performance in time. So we can assume that palemoon 28 is not suitable for older machines, but meanwhile the basilisk browser built on the same uxp platform performs much better on the older machines, so what is the matter, palemoon as an application not depends on the compiler options, as i know it is xul-js-css thing, where is there gap?

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-30, 20:48

Just wait for the next live version ;-) I tried 28.1.0a1.20180830105440 and it work fine even on the my old PC.
Last edited by Alexium 67 on 2018-08-30, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2018-08-30, 21:22

Fedor2 wrote:win7x64 - no obstacle and loss of performance in time. So we can assume that palemoon 28 is not suitable for older machines
Were you having a problem on x64 ? That would be the first report I've seen for 64-bit. I built my system less than 2 years ago (plenty fast) and it has had problems with the 32-bit but not on the Win7 x64 I have on another drive. However, it's an AMD machine so if the problem is multi-faceted that could account for the difference in our experiences.

Pepita

Unread post by Pepita » 2018-08-31, 08:38

Very old machine here, but no problem till now with Pale Moon 27-64 bit version inside Win /64.
PM 28 new release slow as hell.....please, find a way to go back, really frustrating :thumbdown:
Seems to be a memory management issue, similar to old Firefox releases (that made me moving to Pale Moon :crazy: )
Last edited by Pepita on 2018-08-31, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-31, 08:58

Please try the newly released Pale Moon 28.0.1 and report back.

Pepita

Unread post by Pepita » 2018-08-31, 09:59

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Please try the newly released Pale Moon 28.0.1 and report back.
I'm already running it, thanks for the prompt reply :thumbup:

Edit...
Sorry, I didn't see there's a new updated 28.0.1 version....very difficult to remember which one I've installed before....thanks, let me check
Last edited by Pepita on 2018-08-31, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Pepita

Unread post by Pepita » 2018-09-01, 05:19

28.0.1 version is surely better. It remains a sluggish and "gummy" behavior when more than 3 - 4 pages are opened; older version accepted the double without problems. Memory management?
But we cannot have all we want.... :| Hope this version is safer than previous, let's hope in future for a performance increase one