Pale Moon and your add on's, What should you expect???

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thehandyman1957

Pale Moon and your add on's, What should you expect???

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-25, 08:38

Seriously folks, Do you even understand what your dealing with here at all??? :roll:

Let's think about all of this for just one moment.

1. Pale Moon is NOT Fire Fox.
2. Pale Moon is NOT responsible for Firefox Add on's working with it in any version.
3. Add on compatibility is the job of add on author's, NOT Pale Moon Dev's.

If you came to Pale Moon hoping to simply go back in time to the glory days of F.F. then
you have sadly come to the wrong place. Don't get me wrong, I did the same thing back
in the PM 24-25 days. And like many others, I had to learn this simple but valuable lesson..

So what should you expect?

Pale Moon is a chance to have one of the most customizable
and most secure browsers on the net. It is a bonus if the add on's that you brought over
from F.F. work on Pale Moon. It's even a bigger bonus that they are purposely trying to make
it so this browser can have the same great customizing ability that Fire Fox had years ago.

But just like when Firefox had major updates to it's core, it required the Add on devs to fix
their add on's, NOT Firefox. And if you had a problem with the way the add on worked, you
took it up with the add on dev, NOT Firefox.

Now with Pale Moon, it is even more important to understand this, since most of the add on's
you are using were not even written for Pale Moon at all. So when your Awesome Pale Moon
browser seems to be having fits because you expected a piece of software that was written
for a completely different browser to work right, is like getting pissed off
because your gas car runs like sh!t because you put diesel in the tank. :wtf:

So now what? First, before you go throwing a fit after expecting every FIREFOX add on to work
out of the box with PALE MOON, take a deep breath. Remember that this is Pale Moon and not F.F.
and that you are blessed to have most of your add on's still working.

So a few took a gutter ball? :o :x :cry: :problem: :sick:

Ok, so did some of my favorite add on's at first. But instead of having a small melt down, I first listed
the add on's that did not work on a new post and waited for someone that might have some info or help.
I then went and found the author's of the add on's and sought them out to see if they would be willing to
take time out of their very busy lives and see fit to bless me with a solution. :idea:

I then waited some more, :coffee: some got fixed. Others I found a substitute for. One, I really thought I
would simply have to live without, and it was by far my favorite add on (Tree Style Tabs). I had even
gone about working on a way to live with out it (because Pale Moon is that awesome)
And then, magically, someone came and made a fix for it, and now I have my favorite add on again. :thumbup:
But this took time, patience, some work on my own, and an understanding that
this was to be expected, and that it was not Pale Moon's fault.

Also, if after a update and something is not working properly? Do some of your own due diligence
and work through the problem.

1. Try using Pale Moon with a clean new profile and see if the problem continues.
2. Try using Safe Mode and see if the issue is still there.
3. Disable your add on's one at a time, again narrow down what add on might be causing the problem.
4. Perhaps even download the portable version and like I did, add one add on at a time to see if the
problem can be duplicated. Then, delete the profile and start with the next add on.
5. Use the Forum search bar (it's there for a reason) to see if this issue is already been mentioned
and perhaps even fixed already.

I did all of these things myself before I felt like it would be worth bothering someone else
and their time to help me fix my issues, and when I did, I made sure that they had all the
information required to help me. Why? Because if the browser works perfectly with
a clean new profile then it was my duty to figure out why it didn't when I added my FIREFOX add on's
to PALE MOON. If one of my add on's was conflicting with another add on (it was) then it was my
duty to figure that out. Not the developers of Pale Moon.

The forum and the great folks who help out here are mostly Pale Moon users themselves and not
Dev's. But most of them have a great amount of love for Pale Moon and are willing to help out if
you are reasonable, understanding, patient and willing to walk through the steps they give.

But if you come to the forum with the attitude that Pale Moon and the good folks here at the forum
owe you the moon, (pun intended) then your not going to get very far, and maybe you really do need a
one size doesn't fit anybody browser.

If you can just keep this in mind, you will eventually realize that you are using one of the greatest
browsers out there, and that it's going to keep getting better as we all work together. ;)

Oh, and one more thing. If after using a BRAND NEW CLEAN PROFILE and the issues still remain?
Then kindly let the good folks here know, with the required information viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
and patiently wait for help and a fix. They will do all that they can to remedy the issue for you for FREE. :o :angel:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-08-25, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Pale Moon and your add on's, What should you expect???

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-08-25, 10:09

I dunno, Handyman. I think the dissatisfied have an absolute right to get their money back. I commend your signature line.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-25, 11:23

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:I think the dissatisfied have an absolute right to get their money back.
If the dissatisfied don't try to help themselves "first", then I think they don't have an absolute right to get their money back.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-08-25, 23:47

Night Wing wrote:
Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:I think the dissatisfied have an absolute right to get their money back.
If the dissatisfied don't try to help themselves "first", then I think they don't have an absolute right to get their money back.
Maybe I'm being thick. It was obvious I was joking, right? I mean, maybe they should get double their money. What's that Hendrix line?

Nuthin' times nuthin' is nuthin'.
You gotta pay something,
If you wanna bitch at me.

[ You'll have to imagine the intrumental part. ]

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-08-26, 00:46

I'm thankful that Pale Moon at least have two type of extensions which I think should be mandatory for every browser: ad-blockers (uBlock Origin & AdBlock Latitude) and a script manager (Greasemonkey).
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-26, 01:08

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Maybe I'm being thick. It was obvious I was joking, right? I mean, maybe they should get double their money. What's that Hendrix line?

Nuthin' times nuthin' is nuthin'.
You gotta pay something,
If you wanna bitch at me.

[ You'll have to imagine the intrumental part. ]
LOL, :lol: Yea, I got it. :mrgreen: