Cannot scroll while having context menu open after upgrading to PM28

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Dariush

Cannot scroll while having context menu open after upgrading to PM28

Unread post by Dariush » 2018-08-23, 22:28

Also applies to having other similar objects open - e.g. native "recently closed tabs" list and dropdown tab list in All Tabs Helper 0.2.38.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Cannot scroll while having context menu open after upgrading to PM28

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-08-23, 22:54

Do you mean that the context menu is so large that it has (or should have) a scrollbar, and you cannot scroll it?

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2018-08-24, 00:06

No, I mean that I cannot scroll the page when it's open, whereas I could previously.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-24, 01:12

Explain, I'm not understanding?

Are you speaking of the native right-click context-menu, or does the ATH extension play into this?

> previously

Previously, what?

---

OK, confirmed behavior difference.

PM 27, open native context-menu
Without dismissing the context-menu, move cursor outside of context-menu area
Use mouse scroll-wheel

Result: Page scrolls

PM 28

Result: Page does not scroll

FF 61

Result: Page does not scroll
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-24, 01:16, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-24, 05:48

Not scrolling when a context menu is open is standard behavior for applications on all operating systems.
Pale Moon 28 aligns with that (being able to scroll was actually a bug).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2018-08-24, 10:30

This might be the standard behavior, but it's really inconvenient. Can we at least get an option to have the old behavior back, please?
Last edited by Dariush on 2018-08-24, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-24, 10:41

Dariush wrote:This might be the standard behavior, but it's really inconvenient. Can we at least get an option to have the old behavior back, please?
+1. it makes a lot of sense, considering both Linux and Mac allow you to scroll in unfocused windows natively, and tools on Windows exist for the same purpose.
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-08-24, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-24, 10:46

Dariush wrote:This might be the standard behavior, but it's really inconvenient. Can we at least get an option to have the old behavior back, please?
Could you please run mozregression to find when and where this was changed in the Mozilla tree?
Off-topic:
PS: My mouse does not have a scroll wheel at all :roll:
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-08-24, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-08-24, 11:08

Off-topic:
fillerup wrote:+1. it makes a lot of sense, considering both Linux and Mac allow you to scroll in unfocused windows natively
Traditionally UNIX WMs use the focus-follows-mouse model in with scrolling unfocused windows is impossible.

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2018-08-24, 11:22

2016-04-12 was the last good build, 2016-04-13 is bad. I don't know how to narrow down where the change occured - this tool doesn't support this, does it?
Last edited by Dariush on 2018-08-24, 11:27, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-24, 11:27

I'm not entirely sure how this behavior is considered "very inconvenient", despite every other application behaving that way...

I've looked at the widget code for this and making it an option is very easy on Windows at least. if other operating systems (where this was fixed a lot earlier) also have this UX desire with the risk of disjoining the contextual menu from the element the menu belongs to, then something similar can be done there, but it'll have to be tackled by devs for those OSes.

See Issue #730 (UXP).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2018-08-24, 12:05

Thank you very much!
Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:I'm not entirely sure how this behavior is considered "very inconvenient", despite every other application behaving that way...
It's not actually every application - I checked stuff I have open and it was a 50/50 split - Tixati and Directory Opus allow normal scrolling with open context menu, Chrome closes it on scroll, three programs don't allow scrolling with open menu. And being widespread has little to do with convenience in any case. :)
Last edited by Dariush on 2018-08-24, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-24, 13:29

Off-topic:
yami_ wrote:Traditionally UNIX WMs use the focus-follows-mouse model in with scrolling unfocused windows is impossible.
what WMs are you talking about? afaik this is the case for at least the two main Linux DEs, KDE and GNOME. never tried the more minimalist WMs like i3, bspwm etc so i can't speak for those

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-08-24, 15:31

Off-topic:
fillerup wrote:what WMs are you talking about? afaik this is the case for at least the two main Linux DEs, KDE and GNOME. never tried the more minimalist WMs like i3, bspwm etc so i can't speak for those
KDE was designed to be similar to MS Windows and GNOME was GNU-approved KDE replacement. I know for sure that twm (the standard X Windows System WM since 1987 (X11R4)) use the focus-follows-mouse model. That is why I wrote "traditionally".