Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-23, 15:40

coffeebreak wrote:@digitalaudiorock, @Montclair - Does this still happen for either of you in safe mode ?

And would you guys please provide some links to sites whose captchas behave this way?
Happened to me today too. I think Google are changing their JS. I turned off uM and uB0. Nada. One time I got told to use a supported browser, and the next time I got a standard recaptcha that accepted no input. I gave up. (Presented as PM27)

Then I saw others here were having the same prob so I tried again. This time I was more patient and was given a small recaptcha whose pics contained tick boxes. Ticked the boxes and got a few lines of code. Pasted them into the box below, clicked login and was in. No point giving the URL cos you are unlikely to have an acc. This time I presented as FF61, though I doubt that made a difference; I'm guessing what made the difference is increased patience. As I said: I reckon it's JS.

Works normally in PM28.

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-23, 16:06

It seems as though the sites that just have the reCaptcha without any additional login or continue buttons will need to be updated to actually submit the code generated by this new process. How tremendously annoying for the webmasters and users!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-23, 17:46

digitalaudiorock wrote:FFS anyway. I'm using 27.9.4.[emphasis added]
Montclair wrote:As of today, using 27.9.4, I get an un-clickable checkbox, which after a minute or so, changes to images with little checkboxes in them. As stated above, you get a long text code to paste into another box, but there's no submit button, and hitting Enter does nothing. [emphasis added]

Using PM 27.9.4 on this site, it was the same for me in every detail as @Montclair described.
And for me nothing changed that, user agent-wise or anything else-wise.

Maybe some wiser head will have more ideas, but from what I saw you're SOL with these captchas using PM 27.9.4.
But as doofy said, with PM 28, it worked fine. It was even easy: mostly it just took one pass-through with the captcha.
doofy wrote:got a few lines of code. Pasted them into the box below, clicked login and was in. No point giving the URL cos you are unlikely to have an acc.

Do you mean you have an account? @Montclair and I got no login button after pasting into the box - it was dead end. Sounds like having an account matters.
Off-topic:
Unfortunately, once in I couldn't get the videos to play (player loaded, content didn't).
EDIT: Problem solved, flixtor videos don't work with PM's native user agent, but play fine with Firefox compatibility mode.
This probably should have its own thread if it's pursued; but a question: could you play the videos after "clicked login and was in" (PM 27 or 28)? And could you play the videos not-logged-in with PM 28?
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-23, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-23, 18:01

coffeebreak wrote:Do you mean you have an account? @Montclair and I got no login button after pasting into the box - it was dead end. Sounds like having an account matters.
I'm sorry; didn't mean to confuse - just provide additional data.

I'm bound to be talking about a different site than you are. Thread's too long to read from scratch thoroughly.

The one I'm reporting is the first time I've seen a recaptcha like this; I have yet to see one in the wild.

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-23, 19:14

coffeebreak wrote: @Montclair and I got no login button after pasting into the box - it was dead end. Sounds like having an account matters.
I have no account at Flixtor, so having an account or not makes no difference. I just encountered this on another site which hosts my company's website. I was also unable to login there, because they similarly, had no submit button on the reCaptcha page.

The webmasters will have to redesign their reCaptcha pages, or Google will have to include a submit button to support PM 27.9.4, and there's likely zero chance of either of those happening.

Lastly, I cannot use PM 28 on these older OS's. It's not supported. That was the whole reason I picked Pale Moon in the first place, then switch over to forked "Mypal" which supports XP (and is also affected). I'm looking at another Pale Moon fork that is taken from the PM 28 code but supports XP, but I haven't installed it yet.

Google just does whatever it wants without a care in the world for you, or I, these days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-23, 19:27

I'm sorry but the only possible avenue to improve this at this point is to contact the website owners, explain the situation and give them examples of the hell you're being put through, and ask them to PLEASE consider a different captcha solution than google's reCaptcha because it simply doesn't work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-23, 20:20

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry but the only possible avenue to improve this at this point is to contact the website owners, explain the situation and give them examples of the hell you're being put through, and ask them to PLEASE consider a different captcha solution than google's reCaptcha because it simply doesn't work.
Yeah, I don't see webmasters redesigning stuff to support Google's lack of support for Pale Moon. I think the more realistic avenue would be a different browser, unfortunately.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-23, 21:53

As in combination with Recaptcha in Pale Moon 27.x the following message appears in the error console
"MessageChannel is not defined"

perhaps that could have something to do with that one here?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677638 - (MessageChannel) Implement HTML5's channel messaging API

Just a guess ;)

At least Google spits out some Bugzilla entries related to this issue:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei= ... MWgla454OE
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-08-23, 21:55, edited 2 times in total.

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-24, 06:20

Perhaps. In the interim, the webmaster at Flixtor did turn off reCaptcha for PM users. I'm grateful for that, for sure, but it's a band-aid and any bot coder could abuse that now. It seems to me that all site owners really need to add a submit button on their reCaptcha pages to trigger the reCaptcha processing, since Google isn't providing one themselves if users get all the way to pasting a code into that text entry field. Who knows what other browsers this affects? Just bad design by Google, IMO.

The webmaster at Flixtor did ask me to ask Moonchild to patch this in PM 27.x if possible. I told him it likely wasn't, but I'm asking per his request.
Last edited by Montclair on 2018-08-24, 06:21, edited 2 times in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-24, 07:12

Montclair wrote:but I'm asking per his request.
Pale Moon 27 is dead. In that case you should find someone who has knowledge how to insert patches into the still available browser code and to compile it for you afterwards.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-08-24, 15:34

Sajadi wrote:As in combination with Recaptcha in Pale Moon 27.x the following message appears in the error console
"MessageChannel is not defined"

perhaps that could have something to do with that one here?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=677638 - (MessageChannel) Implement HTML5's channel messaging API

Just a guess ;)

At least Google spits out some Bugzilla entries related to this issue:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei= ... MWgla454OE
actually this can be resolved:

1. goto about:config, add new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".
2. reload the page that has recaptcha

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-24, 16:31

Montclair wrote:... un-clickable checkbox, which after a minute or so, changes to images with little checkboxes in them.
digitalaudiorock wrote:... screwy version with check boxes on each image where the verify button gives you a long hash text.
roytam1 wrote:actually this can be resolved:

1. goto about:config, add new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".

Works like a charm in PM 27.9.4. (tried it here)

Thank you for this.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-24, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2018-08-24, 17:54

coffeebreak wrote:Works like a charm in PM 27.9.4. (tried it here)

Thank you for this.
Ditto...adding the true boolean dom.messageChannel.enabled worked for me as well (also in 27.9.4). Thanks!

Tom

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-24, 19:32

I tried it on PM 28 and it definitely helps.
Last edited by greyowl on 2018-08-24, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-24, 20:20

recaptcha works in PM 28 without it

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-24, 20:22

greyowl wrote:Would this also work on PM 28?

It's not relevant to PM 28. The setting fixes a specific problem that afflicts PM 27 but not 28.

Discussion of the issue began mid-page 5 with this post.

Edit:
greyowl wrote:I tried it on PM 28 and it definitely helps.

On PM 28? What specifically does it help?

@greyowl, You have rewritten your post.
Because of this, the two posts (from Harkonnen and myself) that answered your original question no longer make sense,
because you erased the question

And in light of those answers, your rewritten post doesn't make sense either (to me), without some explanation of what this setting helps in PM 28.

Please read the two answers to your post (as you originally wrote it) and the discussion starting here about the problem the setting addresses.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-25, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

Montclair

Re: Captchas hell [SOLVED]

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-25, 14:15

roytam1 wrote: actually this can be resolved:

Since reCaptcha has been temporarily disabled on Flixtor, testing there isn't currently an option. I did, however, test this on another site that was giving me the exact same series of issues, and yes this does fix the problem!

Thanks so much for this!
Last edited by Montclair on 2018-08-25, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-25, 16:12

Montclair wrote:
coffeebreak wrote: @Montclair and I got no login button after pasting into the box - it was dead end. Sounds like having an account matters.
I have no account at Flixtor, so having an account or not makes no difference. I just encountered this on another site which hosts my company's website. I was also unable to login there, because they similarly, had no submit button on the reCaptcha page.

The webmasters will have to redesign their reCaptcha pages, or Google will have to include a submit button to support PM 27.9.4, and there's likely zero chance of either of those happening.

Lastly, I cannot use PM 28 on these older OS's. It's not supported. That was the whole reason I picked Pale Moon in the first place, then switch over to forked "Mypal" which supports XP (and is also affected). I'm looking at another Pale Moon fork that is taken from the PM 28 code but supports XP, but I haven't installed it yet.

Google just does whatever it wants without a care in the world for you, or I, these days.
I am interested in the PM 28 version that will work on XP. Please provide the link.
Thanks

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-25, 16:20

coffeebreak wrote:
greyowl wrote:Would this also work on PM 28?

It's not relevant to PM 28. The setting fixes a specific problem that afflicts PM 27 but not 28.

Discussion of the issue began mid-page 5 with this post.

Edit:
greyowl wrote:I tried it on PM 28 and it definitely helps.

On PM 28? What specifically does it help?

@greyowl, You have rewritten your post.
Because of this, the two posts (from Harkonnen and myself) that answered your original question no longer make sense,
because you erased the question

And in light of those answers, your rewritten post doesn't make sense either (to me), without some explanation of what this setting helps in PM 28.

Please read the two answers to your post (as you originally wrote it) and the discussion starting here about the problem the setting addresses.
Sorry for the confusion.
I am using PM28 and added new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true".
Now, I usually only get one captcha on kijiji.ca site. When I set it to false, I have to go through numerous captchas before it is accepted.
BTW, how do I go about removing "dom.messageChannel.enabled" if I later decide it is not needed?
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by greyowl on 2018-08-25, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-25, 16:33

greyowl wrote:I am using PM28 and added new Boolean value named "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it "true". Now, I usually only get one captcha on kijiji.ca site. When I set it to false, I have to go through numerous captchas before it is accepted.
AFAIK dom.messageChannel.enabled does nothing in PM28.