Problem with "Preferences" in version 28 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Re: Problem with "Preferences" in version 28

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-20, 01:07

spacy01 wrote:Final solution! In about:config find browser.preferences.animateFadeIn, set as true. Problem solved! :thumbup:
The solution works for me with antiX. Brilliant!
Thank you for the help.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-20, 03:55

@greyowl, you are welcome! :thumbup:

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-20, 12:27

spacy01 wrote:Final solution! In about:config find browser.preferences.animateFadeIn, set as true. Problem solved!
Curious, what was it that led you to come up with that Pref?

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-20, 12:35

I was tired and desperate, just type "preferences" in about:config search box. There was just a few results i started with first one...

LS650V

Unread post by LS650V » 2018-08-20, 23:44

Thanks spacy01. Your solution also worked for me in Lubuntu 16.04 LTS.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-21, 04:09

@LS650V, you are welcome, glad that worked! :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-21, 13:52

animateFadein is a Mac-only setting. It should not be used on other operating systems. Why was it set to true?
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-21, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-21, 13:55

Moonchild wrote:animateFadein is a Mac-only setting. It should not be used on other operating systems. Why was it set to true?
Is this a bug that will be fixed in the next update?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-21, 14:00

greyowl wrote:Is this a bug that will be fixed in the next update?
No it's not a bug - the default is false.

I was asking how come that some people on Linux have this set to a different value than default?
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-21, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-21, 14:03

Moonchild wrote:
greyowl wrote:Is this a bug that will be fixed in the next update?
No it's not a bug - the default is false.
Since changing the setting to true corrects the problem with Preferences, does there not need to be something changed in PM to correct the problem with preferences.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-21, 14:12

Moonchild wrote:I was asking how come that some people on Linux have this set to a different value than default?
I have the default settings which come with 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 which I use in 64 bit linux Mint 19 and Preferences work without any problems. Maybe Mac's act differently in linux Pale Moon since all of my computers were originally Windows computers which came with Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-21, 14:19

Moonchild wrote:animateFadein is a Mac-only setting. It should not be used on other operating systems. Why was it set to true?
Sorry. I did not understand your post.

There is a problem with Linux 32 bit PM where in Preferences in non-functional. It was discovered by Spacy01, that changing the setting to true corrected the problem with Preferences so that it now functions correctly.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-21, 14:33

@Moonchild, i'm sorry, but i don't get it...

I never used Mac on my life, from ten years i use only Linux distros (current one is Manjaro with Xfce, 64-bit), and i had never heard about animateFadein before! I fixed my problem by incident, when change it, and share the solution! When i change this animateFadein to true, preferences window became responsive! I have no idea why is that happened!

Also, this is only partially fix of the problem, some buttons still are not clickable, counter on install addons button still dosen't work, and can't type in some text fields. Please, look at it!

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-21, 14:36

Also, everything works on live usb with Linux Mint 64-bit with xfce, and on Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit with Cinnamon. On Manjaro live usb, problem persist!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-21, 14:37

greyowl wrote: There is a problem with Linux 32 bit PM where in Preferences in non-functional. It was discovered by Spacy01, that changing the setting to true corrected the problem with Preferences so that it now functions correctly.
It's not limited to 32-bit (spacy01 is using 64-bit build), nor is it reproducible on all systems (I can't reproduce the problem on any of the 5 systems I've tried).
spacy01 wrote:Also, this is only partially fix of the problem, some buttons still are not clickable, counter on install addons button still dosen't work, and can't type in some text fields. Please, look at it!
@spacy01 do all these problems still manifest themselves in a new profile with default preferences?
Last edited by trava90 on 2018-08-21, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-21, 14:41

Yes, this issues exist, with brand new profile. They exist even on live usb session...

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-21, 14:50

Are there any messages displayed in the error console or terminal window (if Pale Moon is started from the terminal) when trying to switch tabs in the preferences?

Also are you using the latest release of Manjaro? One of the systems I tried to reproduce this issue on is a fully updated 64-bit Manjaro XFCE.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-21, 15:17

No, there is no errors nor in terminal, nor in the browser console. Actually, the browser preferences and other stuff works, but the changes not be displayed, until you reopen the window.

Yes, i use the latest Manjaro and i update it regularly! When i figured out, that actually Pale Moon works, and the problem persist even on live usb session, i suspect the integrated intel video and the Manjaro's X settings. But i'm not sure how to check it and how to compare it with Debian's driver version and X settings...

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2018-08-21, 15:55

AFAIK Debian use modesetting ddx by default for intel GPUs, but if you are using intel ddx on Manjaro these two drivers certainly behave differently (different pluses/minuses but different bugs too)
Last edited by smoki on 2018-08-21, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-22, 07:52

Finally, i figured it out! :) It wasn't Pale Moon issue...

I uninstall default intel video-linux driver and install video-vesa driver, from "manjaro settings > hardware configuration" and generate xorg.conf file, now everything works just fine, regardless 'animateFadein' setting. :)