Problem with "Preferences" in version 28 Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Problem with "Preferences" in version 28

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-17, 01:45

With the new version 28, I can open the preferences, but the tabs do not work and I cannot make changes.
I am using antiX linux 32 bit.
Are other people getting this problem?
Last edited by greyowl on 2018-08-17, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Problem with "Preferences" in version 28

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-17, 03:12

I'm not having any problems with Preferences in 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. All the tabs work and I can make any changes I want.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tokia

Unread post by Tokia » 2018-08-17, 06:04

32bit Devuan user here, Just checked Preferences > Tabs.
Selected / Unselected of features works normally on my part.

Maybe try with a clean profile? | Different GTK themes? | Pale Moon without addons or theme installed.
Also start Pale Moon from console if you can catch any errors.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-17, 15:34

Tokia wrote:32bit Devuan user here, Just checked Preferences > Tabs.
Selected / Unselected of features works normally on my part.

Maybe try with a clean profile? | Different GTK themes? | Pale Moon without addons or theme installed.
Also start Pale Moon from console if you can catch any errors.
Thanks for the help.
I tried PM in SafeMode and the problem persists.
Please explain how to do a clean profile?

Tokia

Unread post by Tokia » 2018-08-17, 16:17

greyowl wrote:Thanks for the help. I tried PM in SafeMode and the problem persists.

Please explain how to do a clean profile?
Hi! Make sure your /home folder sees hidden folders.

Locate ".moonchild productions" folder, save this folder on a backup folder like documents or new folder, (I usually use the cut from file manager), paste to a directories that will be saved.

Make sure the folder ".moonchild productions" is not anymore on your /home.
Then open Pale Moon, A new profile will be created, so try out if you have a issue again or not with preferences. If you still have the concern, then there is something that does not go with the browser version, but If everything goes OK, the issue lies in your old profile.

Be careful not mixing the ".moonchild productions" profiles, because they have the same name.
Tell us again after tests with the new profile

Edit: just checked myself with new profile. I don't see issue with tabs from my preferences, Please see this image. Are you talking about this Tabs? i have checked/unchecked all features there, No issue with those boxes.

Regards!
Last edited by Tokia on 2018-08-17, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-17, 19:04

To Tokia,

Thank you for the explanation on setting up a new profile which I tried. Unfortunately, I got the same result and the PM preferences is not functional.

Tokia

Unread post by Tokia » 2018-08-17, 19:26

I'm sorry we can not catch it. I got and use a binary copy from this link (32bit x86 tar.bz2). This version don't need extra setup to install, Enough to extract palemoon folder somewhere on the home and start it.
If you've tried even from this source then there is nothing more than a bug that needs to be corrected in the next version.

This Pale Moon version has a few bugs to be listed and to be solved.
Moonchild said:
Reality check: Even though we have extensively tested the browser in daily use for a few months (also thanks to the brave souls on our unstable channel) we don't expect that the browser will be flawless or bug-free. If you find bugs, regressions or issues with the new release, please discuss them on the forum. Let's work together as a community of users to make this the best browser yet!

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-08-17, 19:36

Thanks for your help Tokia.
I will submit this as a bug.

Tokia

Unread post by Tokia » 2018-08-18, 07:27

Ok, This is the github, Fill in all the necessary info and ditch it there.
Wishing for the fastest solution.

Regards!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-18, 13:30

I am unable to reproduce any of the problems described here with either the 64-bit or 32-bit builds.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 08:09

I have the same problem with Pale Moon 28 on Manjaro.

When open the preferences window, cannot navigate between tabs.

For example, preferences window is open with "General" tab active. I try to switch to "Content" (or whatever), and nothing happened. I close the preferences window and open it again, now he open with tab "Content" active. When i click on some checkbox, again no visible changes, but when i close and open preferences again, saw that the checkbox status is changed...

Error console show no errors.

I'm sorry, i tried to be clear, but English is not my first language...

LS650V

Unread post by LS650V » 2018-08-19, 08:56

Same Problem. 32-bit Lubuntu 16.04 LTS.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 10:33

My DE is Xfce4.

I notice the same behavior in about:config page and in addons installer dialog. Install Button is gray and counter not count, but when press it, the addon have been installed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-19, 11:02

Sounds like for some reason paint events are not picked up by X, meaning that for the browser things have updated, but visually they have not. It seems to be 32-bit only.
Maybe there's an issue with that because of the build setup used for 32-bit?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 11:10

Nope! It's not 32-bit only. Manjaro haven't 32-bit release almost from an year! My OS is 64-bit.

And yes, sounds like X not pick up the events. May be it's not the browser, but this behavior happened only with Pale Moon's preferences window. I didn't notice such a behavior in any other app or what ever...

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-08-19, 13:32

I just double checked my Manjaro XFCE system and can't reproduce the issue.

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue on any of the 5 systems I've tried (64-bit Manjaro XFCE, 64-bit Fedora 28 GNOME 3, 64-bit CentOS 7 GNOME 3, 32-bit Debian MATE and 32-bit CentOS 6 GNOME 2).

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 14:43

Trava90, thank you for your efforts!

I tried few more things: Try different Window Managers - Compton and Metacity (with and without Compiz) - no success!
Try to boot Manjaro Live USB (64-bit Xfce, kernel 4.14) - Again, no success!

Then boot from Linux Mint Debian Editions (64-bit Cinnamon, kernel 4.9) and Preferences window DO WORK.

Now, i'l try to install kernel 4.9 and Cinnamon. Stay tuned... :)

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 17:30

Solved! For me, the problem was in gtk theme! :D

Thank you for the suggestions and for the help! :thumbup:
Last edited by spacy01 on 2018-08-19, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 18:18

Actually, it’s not solved entirely… In order to make preferences windows to work, i must change the gtk theme, after the preferences window is opened… No matter which one theme, but must change the theme, otherwise preferences window remain frozen…

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2018-08-19, 19:16

Final solution! In about:config find browser.preferences.animateFadeIn, set as true. Problem solved! :thumbup: