When opening PM, it tries to download a file - how to stop? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

When opening PM, it tries to download a file - how to stop?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-15, 23:31

Okay, I'm putting this question in this board because I think I read that MC closed the board for the beta. This problem is happening on my wife's computer (Windows 8.1) with PM beta 28. Yesterday our son was doing one of his online school classes which required downloading a .doc file. Now since then, every time Pale Moon is opened you can see the downloading animation in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Clicking on the download arrow reveals that PM is trying to redownload that .doc file, but fails. Why is it doing this, and how to fix?

PS: I can't give a link because you have to sign in to these classes. I guess that's why it fails since he's not logged in when opening PM.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: When opening PM, it tries to download a file - how to stop?

Unread post by satrow » 2018-08-16, 01:46

Check which page(s) is set to load, reads like it's the previous session, if so, reset it to about:blank, close and Exit. Restart to test it's not trying to download, if it's good, reset the start page settings back to your wife's preference.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-16, 03:06

You mean the home page? The home page is not his school site.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-16, 03:14

helloimustbegoing wrote:Clicking on the download arrow reveals that PM is trying to redownload that .doc file
When you click on the download arrow and you see that file in the list of downloads, can you right-click on it and select "Remove From History" ... ? If Pale Moon is still actively trying to download it, you might have to pause the download or wait until it fails first.

I had something similar happen a while back, but I don't remember exactly how I fixed it. I think that's what I did (removing it from the list of downloads).
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-16, 03:18

Already tried that, Nigaikaze. Didn't work.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-16, 03:27

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm ... I just tried setting up a scenario where a download was interrupted, and I had to right-click on it and select "Cancel" first and then right-click on it a second time and select "Remove From History" to get it to go away.
(Grasping at straws, hope that works for you.)
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-08-16, 13:44

I've had this happen to me a few times as well.... I just hit 'show all downloads' then 'clear downloads' and that seems to solve the issue for me.

PM 27.9.4 (x64)
Win 8.1

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-18, 03:18

The problem is solved. I did rabnbeinn's recommendation. And since PM 28 was released, I installed it over the beta 28. Not sure which one did the trick, but it's solved. Thanks everyone for the help.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-08-18, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.