v28 Windows taskbar button order Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
vilius

v28 Windows taskbar button order

Unread post by vilius » 2018-08-17, 17:02

Hello,

PM: v28.0.0 64bit

I keep lots of palemoon windows open like 30 at a time. When I need to restart PM I always retain open windows by doing File->Exit and starting PM again.
PM v27.9.4 always retained exact same windows taskbar button order between restarts.
PM v28 taskbar button order is random - changes every restart.
It would be great to retain taskbar button order like PM v27.9.4.

Thanks,
Vilius M.
Last edited by vilius on 2018-08-17, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

vilius

Re: v28 Windows taskbar button order

Unread post by vilius » 2018-08-17, 17:47

Welcome to the world of async, where initialization order is not deterministic.
I'm not getting - how v27.9.4 brings ordered taskbar buttons then (just checked on other pc) ?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-17, 17:58

27 & 28 are different.

In 27 taskbar ordering, works.
In 28 taskbar ordering does not work.

Hopefully it can be fixed.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-17, 18:05

I do not have such a problem using more then dozen of the extension buttons, and in order to understand your issue, we need to get an example with a minimal set of extensions that, when installed in a clean profile, lead to loss of position when restarting.

Sorry, I don't seem to have read the description of the problem carefully.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-08-17, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-17, 18:19

STR: viewtopic.php?p=144556#p144556
(I have not tested in 28 Release.)

Oh, & to be clear, this is the ordering of the PM window icons along the Windows taskbar.
(Also, the Windows taskbar is set not to "group" [similar taskbar buttons] icons, or whatever it says/does by default.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-17, 18:25, edited 5 times in total.

vilius

Unread post by vilius » 2018-08-17, 18:49

It doen't matter if taskbar grouping is on or off - if it's on you hover mouse on single "grouped button" and you get grouped aplication button list which is ordered or not - so it's the same.

Cycler

Unread post by Cycler » 2018-08-27, 09:25

I can confirm the problem for me as well.

I have around 50 windows with a total of about 300 tabs.
Starting with version 28, the individual order gets "randomised" the next time I start PM.

If you pay attention to when it closed (File -> Exit) it closed windows in a random order which is probably why the order is different the next time.
While I can manage, I can understand why this would be a deal-breaker to update if you have different tasks in different windows.

Thankfully the first window is always the same. (Main news, monitoring tabs)

The Release Notes said to post in the forum but can we know if there is a bug-number assigned or something?

I looked at the other thread and the fact that it always worked in PM 27 (or at least most of the time, there were occasions when it got the current window messed up) says it is a recent thing.

I would be happy to test builds out if needed.

Regards,
Christian

29 Skidoo

Unread post by 29 Skidoo » 2018-09-17, 12:57

For the past several months (sorry, did not keep track of versions -- my life is currently dealing with some very serious major crises) I have had a possibly somewhat related problem -- random browser windows would not open when I'd restart the browser.

For example, if I had 14 windows open when the browser closed, I might only have 10 open when it restarted.

One strange "feature" to this was that the non-opened windows did seem to be running -- if I typed in part of the title or URL into the address bar, I'd get a list of possible matches, and if I typed in just the right thing, I'd see a tab on a "closed" window, with the "Switch to tab" option.

When I clicked on it, the window would open, with all its tabs displayed!

Since most of the time, I'd get the "sorry" window when I started the browser, I devised a nightmarish system in which I manually copied the first part of the title of the first few tabs of each open window to a text file. I would then compare them with the ones displayed in the lists of windows/tabs shown in the "sorry" screen, so that I'd know which ones to manually resurrect via the address bar entry workaround.

If I was able to constantly remember the hundreds of tabs in the numerous windows this would not be necessary, but, alas...

I seem to have finally resolved this by activating the session manager in Tab Mix Pro, rather than using the built-in session manager. So far, it seems to be working OK (by which I mean, each time I've compared the number of windows when closing/opening, they matched).

I mention this because I think it's something you might want to try, to see if it resolves the issue you're having with window opening.
Last edited by 29 Skidoo on 2018-09-17, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Cycler

Unread post by Cycler » 2018-11-21, 13:53

Hello all,

I just updated to 28.2.1 and the problem still persists. Am I the only one that cares? (Or just me with the problem??)

When you close (via the menu, not the X) you can see that all the windows are closed in a random order and the next time you start all the windows has jumped around and are not in the same order as it was before.
Totally unusable and a changed behaviour from previous versions.

Some one mentioned somewhere that there was a new "asynchronous" thing, could that be the issue?

As I said, not have the browser windows in the same order when you start is a deal-breaker for me.

Regards,
C

Cmdr_Data

Unread post by Cmdr_Data » 2018-11-22, 17:19

Moin!

@cycler:
No, you are not the only one - for me the topic is the reason why I'm still using Palemoon 27.9.4. And as long as this problem is not solved I won't update because PM isn't usable for me with this behaviour.

Im Übrigen ist hier Anrede und Gruß anscheinend unüblich - man sieht mal wieder, dass viele Nerds entweder unhöflich oder emotional eingeschränkt sind. :shock: ;) :)

Schöne Grüße,
Data

Cmdr_Data

Unread post by Cmdr_Data » 2019-02-01, 00:19

Is there any hope that the problem will be fixed in the next versions? Or is there no possibility at all that the browser windows always are opened in the same/last order?

Cmdr_Data

Unread post by Cmdr_Data » 2019-08-21, 02:25

The problem described still exists. Therefore I'd like to repeat my question:
Is it possible and - if so - planned to fix the problem in the future? I'm still using PM 27.9.4 because I don't know of any browser that supports multi-row tab bar (TabMix Plus).

Cycler

Unread post by Cycler » 2019-08-21, 06:44

Hmm, that's discouraging..

I was about to try this summer, including starting with at fresh profile but haven't come around to do this yet.

I'll make an effort to try out and see if the newer builds since last year have sorted it out for me.

I'm glad that that I'm not the only one watching this thread :)

Cheers,
C

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-08-21, 18:19

Have you tried 29 Skidoo solution/work around?
29 Skidoo wrote:
2018-09-17, 12:57
I seem to have finally resolved this by activating the session manager in Tab Mix Pro, rather than using the built-in session manager. So far, it seems to be working OK (by which I mean, each time I've compared the number of windows when closing/opening, they matched).

I mention this because I think it's something you might want to try, to see if it resolves the issue you're having with window opening.
Although I think 29 Skidoo meant Tab Mix Plus.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-21, 19:03

Offhand, don't know if I tried TMP (?), but I will note that Session Manager [extension] does not fix this situation.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-08-22, 02:46

I gave the TMP 'Session Manager' a try. It works to a point, consistently. It seems to move the last window in the list to the second in the list after the first and slides the rest down one position in the list but keeps them in the proper order.

I don't use this feature often since I've rarely more than four or five tabs open let alone even more browser windows. It may be possible to convince it to work the way you want with a little tinkering in it's configuration.

Cycler

Unread post by Cycler » 2019-10-11, 13:29

Hello all,

I got a new laptop (Windows 10, ugh) and installed the latest Pale Moon on that and started a new profile.
I did have NoScript installed in the old Pale Moon version and now saw that it was recommended to remove.
I did that and installed uMatrix instead.

I can confirm that the issue STILL exists and not to be a whiner but what the frick is going on??

It would be nice to know if more have the same problem or is it just a few of us that starts their browser expecting to have the same windows (IN THE SAME ORDER)
opened?

Are we a minority? Do most start their browser fresh?
Is that the explanation for lack of fixing?

Anyways, I now have two profiles to play with and I'll start a few windows on the other new profile to see if I can duplicate (or get a working state with all windows and tabs and stuff)

Looking at Pale Moon when it closes, I would say the issue is that it is not closing the windows in order, just randomly.

And, as my frustration grows, how do I move this bug to the top of the list and who do I pay? ;)

Regards,
C

Cmdr_Data

Unread post by Cmdr_Data » 2020-03-09, 15:20

Are there any good news or at least hopes?

If not, (why) are there only so few people who care?

Sometimes I still use PM v27.9.4, but now I mostly use Firefox, there is a satisfactory solution for a multi-line tab bar.

Cmdr_Data

Unread post by Cmdr_Data » 2020-09-12, 15:09

I'm disappointed that I don't even get an answer, let alone that this problem will be resolved.

I cannot imagine that there is no one here who has the same problem.

Why does Firefox NOT have this problem???