what about continued support for windows Vista?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: what about continued support for windows Vista?

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-29, 22:53

EbonJaeger wrote: I hope none of those machines are connected to the internet
Usually not. I would expect them to be running AV seeing as XP and Vista did not already include a MS solution. They are usually bolted to the floor... if using the first release of our web browser they can only visit their intranet site, save nothing, copy nothing and maybe in kiosk mode with no other option than to use the given page links.

inrobert
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by inrobert » 2018-08-16, 18:24

Moonchild wrote:As for our support: support for features will be limited in Vista, but since it matches the minimum platform requirements there's no reason to change that on a per-application basis.
UXP applications including Basilisk and Pale Moon 28 should continue to run on Vista in the foreseeable future.
My 27.9.4 (64-bit) version was updated to 28 version through the built-in updater but it's not working on Vista Home Premium 64-bit (fully updated). It's not starting at all, showing the message that palemoon.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
What is official status of Pale Moon 28 Vista compatibility, was it tested? If it should be working I will try to reinstall it tomorrow, as it's on my PC at work.
Last edited by inrobert on 2018-08-16, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-16, 18:44

inrobert wrote:What is official status of Pale Moon 28 Vista compatibility
Moonchild wrote:Windows Vista is NOT supported.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19790&p=146601&hil ... rt#p146601
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

inrobert
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by inrobert » 2018-08-16, 19:09

Thank you. So I understand that even though UXP itself is supporting Vista, Pale Moon is not? If so, it would be good to block built-in update to 28 version on Vista or at least put information about Vista not being supported on release notes page (http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml), because this is where people can go to see what are the important changes in new version proposed by built-in update.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-16, 19:17

UXP is a platform, and the platform does not support Vista, therefore no applications built upon the platform will support Vista.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

inrobert
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by inrobert » 2018-08-16, 19:39

Isengrim wrote:UXP is a platform, and the platform does not support Vista, therefore no applications built upon the platform will support Vista.
UXP as a platform was said to require Windows kernel 6, including Vista. Four posts above I did provide Moonchild quote that "support for features will be limited in Vista, but since it matches the minimum platform requirements there's no reason to change that on a per-application basis". So as I understand eventually it was just decided to not support Vista on UXP-based applications or requirements for the whole UXP were changed to not include Vista. Not debating justification of one or another decision, just noting that something else was said not long ago and there is no info about this change on release notes page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-16, 21:20

As development continues, system requirements may change. This has been the case here too.
Just because I posted that in our early platform development stage does NOT mean it would be set in stone.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but to confirm: Vista is not supported.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-16, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

inrobert
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by inrobert » 2018-08-16, 21:47

Thank you for confirmation. Vista has low OS market share but maybe there will be 3rd party version for Vista (like it was for XP). I guess i will reinstall 27.9.4, as I will still go on Vista for now.

PMRick
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PMRick » 2018-08-20, 17:11

On my my Vista PC, I recently updated to version 28, but got a "not a valid Win32 program" error message every time I tried to open it.. The same after re-booting. Reinstalled the PM version 27.9, and it is back to normal. Maybe I'll try a uninstall (w/ Revo) and install Version 28.
No issues on my Win 10 PC.
Otherwise PM is great, thanks MoonChild

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-20, 18:00

PMRick wrote:On my my Vista PC, I recently updated to version 28, but got a "not a valid Win32 program" error message every time I tried to open it.. The same after re-booting. Reinstalled the PM version 27.9, and it is back to normal. Maybe I'll try a uninstall (w/ Revo) and install Version 28.
As has been explained a few times already...
Moonchild wrote:Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but to confirm: Vista is not supported.
You might be able to get it to work on Vista, as a few people apparently have, but you are on your own for that.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-08-20, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story