Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
raindress

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by raindress » 2018-08-04, 12:19

have just added a CAPTCHA bypass to Basilisk forum.have been chasing around for some way to knock off these problems but no luck with an extension for palemoon. in google chrome there was an exten:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ihknkjbknd which allows change on click & the captcha takes only 1 or 2 clicks. this exten avail for FF but not PM. someone may like to explain or check if they find something similar(without cost!) check out basilisk forum & browser to test & advise the forum,thanks

gerrard

Unread post by gerrard » 2018-08-07, 13:48

fillerup wrote:
Phantom wrote:And it doesn't work.
yep it seems to have broken recently. i'll do some more digging for an alternative later
So it's only a matter of time.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-11, 21:14

I still don't have this captcha issue like everyone else. I mean, I get captchas for certain legit things like creating accounts and such, but after about 4 iterations of the captcha it submits.

If it's not UA related then it's IP related. I can tell you right now a VPN will make it worse.

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-14, 16:17

The captcha situation in Palemoon is degenerating :(. In the past just clicking "i am nor a robot" was enough ~4/5 times. Currently i am guaranteed to get a captha, and often a 10 pages long one with grainy pictures that ends in "try again"... It is worse with Palemoon on a direct connection with real IP, than on Firefox or Chrome behind a fully anon proxy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-14, 16:27

Harkonnen wrote:The captcha situation in Palemoon is degenerating :(. In the past just clicking "i am nor a robot" was enough ~4/5 times. Currently i am guaranteed to get a captha, and often a 10 pages long one with grainy pictures that ends in "try again"... It is worse with Palemoon on a direct connection with real IP, than on Firefox or Chrome behind a fully anon proxy.
I can only suggest you complain to Google about this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-14, 17:06

Perhaps worth a try for everyone with trouble in combination with Captcha from Google:

Change the user agent override in
about:config

for the Google entries there, but especially
general.useragent.override.google.com

that it uses either the IE11 or Edge user agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/19.10136
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Tested at a page which often requires around 3 solved captchas in Pale Moon - and with both user agents the page worked instantly. Using here Pale Moon 28.

Actually, even when i had to solve more captchas - I never have been seeing more than 3 of the simple ones in most cases.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-14, 20:29

By faking Chrome 42 or IE 11, you will likely also run into issues on many sites that use Google assets (not just google.com) because google WILL serve application-specific code based on user agent that may (probably will) not be fully compatible with Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2018-08-16, 18:39

Does anyone have any idea about the "try again" thing? WHY? Has anyone ever found anything in some logs?

Abdulrhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdulrhman Ayman » 2018-08-17, 03:39

I don't think that this a PaleMoon specific issue, this used to happen to me on Firefox all the time.

brokenweb

UH-OH.

Unread post by brokenweb » 2018-08-17, 09:31

Posting this here because as of the last 24 hours, I have been encountering the absolute worst case scenario. Every. Single. Time.

People are saying that supposedly upgrading to 28.0 can fix the issue. The thing is, I'm very worried about potentially breaking the add-ons I use for both privacy and QoL. And in several profiles I have a lot of important URLs in my tabs that I don't want to lose. Tabs aren't saved after updating.

I've been on 27.3.0 for a while now purely out of risk aversion of breaking or losing something. I had installed from an earlier version than that, so I don't have the tarball for that specific version. (I know I'm posting about the Linux version in the Windows section, but this is a very active topic and there are more eyeballs here.) I won't be able to revert the changes if I update and something important breaks.

What do?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: UH-OH.

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-17, 09:36

brokenweb wrote:What do?
Off-topic:
Depending on your addons, most will function correctly. As for tabs, have you considered saving them as bookmarks or using the Session Manager extension?
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-08-17, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

fillerup

Re: UH-OH.

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-08-17, 13:46

brokenweb wrote:What do?
fire up a VM machine, install PM 28 and copy your profile folder over for a test run

Harkonnen
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Harkonnen » 2018-08-17, 18:02

As of today PM 27 get a "please upgrade" instead of captcha. No amount of tinkering with useragent affects this. So this is forced upgrade to PM 28 by google :thumbup:

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-17, 18:04

That's strange. I didn't think Google knew or cared about Pale Moon. :wtf:
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Abdulrhman Ayman

Unread post by Abdulrhman Ayman » 2018-08-18, 04:09

Isengrim wrote:That's strange. I didn't think Google knew or cared about Pale Moon. :wtf:
They don't need to, this msg would appear to anyone using a non-mainstream browser I guess.

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2018-08-23, 14:57

FFS anyway. I'm using 27.9.4. I've been having issues with this forever but never like this. Now I get a screwy version with check boxes on each image where the verify button gives you a long hash text. It tells you to paste it into a box below, that, but it does nothing, and there's no button to submit that.

Everyone at Google with a hand in this Godless cluster fuck, and anyone who runs a website that uses it really needs to be taken out and publicly castrated.

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-23, 15:10

As of today, using 27.9.4, I get an un-clickable checkbox, which after a minute or so, changes to images with little checkboxes in them. As stated above, you get a long text code to paste into another box, but there's no submit button, and hitting Enter does nothing.

I'm running on Vista and PM 28 isn't compatible (with no such warning during the upgrade notice, BTW, which sucked because I had to reinstall 27.9.4 after 28 wouldn't launch).

Now what are we supposed to do?

Last edited by Montclair on 2018-08-23, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-08-23, 15:12

Octopuss wrote:Does anyone have any idea about the "try again" thing? WHY? Has anyone ever found anything in some logs?
I dunno at this time, about the logs, but I get that message often!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-23, 15:20

digitalaudiorock wrote:... a screwy version with check boxes on each image where the verify button gives you a long hash text. It tells you to paste it into a box below, that, but it does nothing, and there's no button to submit that.
Montclair wrote:... today, using 27.9.4, I get an un-clickable checkbox, which after a minute or so, changes to un-clickable images.

@digitalaudiorock, @Montclair - Does this still happen for either of you in safe mode ?

And would you guys please provide some links to sites whose captchas behave this way?

Montclair

Unread post by Montclair » 2018-08-23, 15:30

coffeebreak wrote:@digitalaudiorock, @Montclair - Does this still happen for either of you in safe mode ?

And would you guys please provide some links to sites whose captchas behave this way?
I haven't tried safe mode. Here's a site I use frequently. Just click on any tv show or movie and you'll get the recaptcha

Flixtor

Thanks for any help!

//Edit: I tried safe mode and it made no difference. The issue is still present.
Last edited by Montclair on 2018-08-23, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.