Does basilisk use ff sync cloud?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

vsrawat

Does basilisk use ff sync cloud?

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-09, 16:57

When I first times started sync in basilisk, it updated several things and even addons/ bookmarks from sync to my browser.

As it was my first time syncing, there should not be anything in basilisk sync cloud.

So I guess basilisk is using ff sync cloud storage?

Why is that so?

What if I want to keep things separate for ff and separate for basilisk

and now that ff has gone to a new Web system, most of ff addons will not work in basilisk.

And how does basilisk affect ff sync cloud. If some of ff addons are not working in basilisk, basilisk will not found them in our browser and then, for syncing it will deleted them from ff sync cloud, so those will be removed from my ff next time when I start ff. Is that so?

what if the same addon has different version in ff and different will work on basilisk?

It is unimaginable how you can force some other browser's sync on basilisk, without asking us, without informing us, without taking our permission, without telling us the above mentioned consequence.

If the above is correct guess, please use different sync cloud for basilisk.

Thanks.
--

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Does basilisk use ff sync cloud?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 17:12

If you logged in to your Firefox Account to set up sync, then yes, it will be using Firefox Sync ("ff sync cloud") -- Basilisk does not have its own Sync service.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-09, 17:32

That is the point.

Do you think that your average user understand these find differences?

Did you ever tell in syncing window, that there is no separate sync for basilisk, and it will just sync with things we have earlier saved in ff sync?

Without telling all that, how is it possible for your average user to understand the consequences?

A user knows about sync, and sees and option and goes on clicking.
Mostly users use same username, password across many systems and sites, so it is also quite sure that even if basilisk had a separate sync, the use would type the same username and password that he has put in ff sync.

I don't know why firefox is allowing basilisk to access ff sync and download users private things from there.

I think if basilisk is not having a separate sync, you should not use ff sync at all.

Anyway, it is your decision, what can I say.

Thanks.

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-09, 17:34

Also, please clarify for once how does having connected to ff sync through basilisk affects the data stored at ff sync?

Does basilisk removed all data from ff sync that is not usable for basilisk? My gosh, that must not have happened?

if basilisk is just accessing ff sync as READ-ONLY, that is also some relief.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 17:35

It would make sense that if you choose to log into FIREFOX SYNC with your FIREFOX ACCOUNT, that Basilisk, being a close twin to Firefox, will use that sync service to synchronize data (both ways). if you don't want to sync with Firefox, either don't use sync, or use a separate account for Basilisk.

Apply a little bit of logic to your actions, and expect the logical result? :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-09, 17:47

You are not acknowledging your responsibility, I have nothing to say.

How your decisions are affecting millions of your user who trusted you, you don't realize.

Any you are confirming that basilisk "WRITES" to ff sync?

How can you do so when you know things one user wants to keep in ff may be different from what he wants to keep in basilisk.

I don't know how your irresponsible system might have spoiled my years of saved sync setting in ff, just for one single sync in basilisk.

And you are saying that I DON"T USE LOGIC, AND YOUR LOGIC IS SUPERIOR? Anyone can pat his own back and can think himself to the most intelligent person on the Earth, but the real intelligence is when millions of users acknowledge that.

Anyway, I have un-linked basilisk sync. I will not be affected by this anymore.

I am sad that I installed basilisk.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 20:15

I have zero responsibility when it comes to your use of Basilisk, your understanding of Firefox Sync and using a Firefox Account, or your reliance on Mozilla services.
From a Sync perspective, Basilisk is simply a different Sync client than the Firefox browser. That is all there is to it. If you want to know more about how Mozilla's service works and how it treats different Sync clients on the same account, then please go to the Mozilla help pages or ask in Firefox Support or whichever is the designated help channel for Firefox Accounts. We have no control over how the implementation handles your data.

If you choose to log in to your Firefox Account from Basilisk, you make the choice to use that service, in its supplied implementation.

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-10, 04:12

Searching on the net, now I understand why basilisk (and palemoon) have earned this repulation.

https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update ... -basilisk/
"Why You Shouldn’t Use Firefox Forks Like Waterfox, Pale Moon, or Basilisk"

I had posted the same question at firefox support forum here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229031

And they clearly say "Basilisk is not associated with Firefox at all, and is written by one person (Moonchild) with dubious motivations."

As you have no responsibility on now I used basilisk, (though misguided by you), similarly I also don't have any responsibility on the above tags you have earned.

Probably you will not take your responsibility for these bad tags,
or probably you will take responsibility and do something to get those tags removed.

Bye.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-10, 08:04

Firefox support doesn't know what they are saying, because this project is not a one-man show and hasn't been for years. Even more so, I could step down and others would continue, if it would come to that. the fact that I lead this project doesn't mean it's "just me" (that's like saying Chris Beard writes Firefox) and Firefox Support should know this by now, unless of course they continue to believe what the fanbois at MozillaZine feed them.

See also rumor control. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7818 (written in 2015 but still valid)
See also the discussion about that article on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18408

I'm done arguing though; this has already taken up enough of my time -- I have release engineering to do for next week.
You can make up your own dam mind about it. Believe me or don't. Use our products or don't. Your choice. Just don't make the use of a service that isn't in our control somehow be our responsibility, because it isn't. If you log into Mozilla's account system, you are in their domain. Similarly if you log into a Google account from the browser and use Drive, it doesn't matter which client (browser) you use, the data will be the same. If you still don't understand that at this point, then I'm afraid there's nothing else to be done to clarify.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-10, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

vsrawat

Unread post by vsrawat » 2018-08-10, 10:50

Basilisk using ff sync will come under "PHISING" by all definitions, because your are presenting with a fake page where the user feels it is the page that he visits everyday so he mechanically puts his username and password.

Basilisk has no business accessing or downloading or changing or using ff data saved by a user for ff.

In some countries having better cyber laws, there should be some punishment for such phising.

Thanks for taking so much of your time.

I will continue using ff for serious work, and shall have palemoon, basilisk, Firefox Light, Chrome and ie for other occasional usage. And I will stop sync in all non-ff, ff-clone browsers.

Thanks.
Bye for now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-10, 14:26

Please stop trying to make all sorts of far-fetched claims implying negativity. It is neither phishing (we don't get your credentials) nor "writing" (you are using sync to synchronize - your actions, your result) nor "stealing data" nor in any way "misguided by me". The Sync page clearly states your are using Firefox Accounts and Firefox Sync. The login page is a Mozilla page.

You're trying to blame the web browser (sync client) for your own actions. That's not how this works.
By the same flawed logic, you should call accessing your Google account from a different browser than Chrome "phishing".

Locking this thread, and consider yourself warned for pushing the issue.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-10, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.