Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-09, 11:19

I wanted to see if others are having the "captcha" burden attached to other websites that never used it before that are longtime members with?
I have been spending time contacting various tech supports to see if they added it recently, and were aware it is there.
I spent an hour and a half in a day making attempts on several websites which is absurd!
I noticed the images of "cars" "signs" etc., are getting fuzzier than ever. I can barely seen most on any site and every computer I use.
They are showing up on all my browsers also including: Palemoon, Firefox, Vivaldi, etc. I avoid Google like the plague.
I wondered too if there are developers working on a blocker or addon extension to get around this crap? I am sure I am not alone being totally fedup with being required to prove I am human.
This should only show up for irregular users, trolls as there called. Not continuously burdening regular members and buyers. I have left sites I needed to access just from being pissed. I figure if they want my business, they shouldn't use discriminatory methods that serve no purpose.
Any input or advice is welcome, thanks.
Venting accomplished!

Dustie_Rose :-x :roll: :idea: :coffee:

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-20, 18:39

Update: I have used several browsers now just to compare the issue in time relevance, and failed attempts to see how long it takes to get passed it on the same websites that are using it currently.
FACT: USING CHROMIUM BROWSER , the CAPTCHA process is almost non existent and completes successfully on the first attempt, why? Hhhmmmm......GOOGLE maybe ?
ya, no add blocker on it either.
venting,
Dustie_Rose.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-07-23, 23:17

Weasel wrote:Seems today the worse happened. Captchas won't even be accepted anymore in some websites. When logging in, I do finish them, they seem accepted, green tick is there. I input everything and then click Log in, but it says "Invalid Captcha". I tried 3 different times until I gave up as it might lock up my account.

Only way I could log in was through Chrome. What the hell?
You might have forgot to allow a domain with NoScript, or uMatrix 1.1.4. Are you using a script blocker?

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-07-25, 09:01

To me the answer is obvious, that Google is up to their same old tricks to control, track, and keep people signed in on sites through, by and only with their services. ie: no net neutrality only google.
I just read about how they have managed to turn open source code over the years on Android and the OEM sources into closed sources in order to prevent anyone from developing any competitive sources in the markets. In otherwords, destroying competition, choice, and incentives to improve open source codes for any purpose that does not serve their own.
Captcha is pure discrimination across the board.
Dustie_Rose

darkroad

Unread post by darkroad » 2018-07-25, 12:16

I'm using pale moon 28 beta, which has no problem with captcha like pale moon 27 it seem. I click "I'm not a robot" and get the green checkmark right away. The visual questions only show up after several captchas, but they're not too tricky and usually done in one time (as opposed to multiple times like before).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-25, 12:30

darkroad wrote:I'm using pale moon 28 beta, which has no problem with captcha like pale moon 27 it seem. I click "I'm not a robot" and get the green checkmark right away. The visual questions only show up after several captchas, but they're not too tricky and usually done in one time (as opposed to multiple times like before).
This is because Google gets to use some of your PC's computing power for free, which it can't with Pale Moon 27.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-07-25, 13:16

Moonchild wrote:This is because Google gets to use some of your PC's computing power for free, which it can't with Pale Moon 27.

Would you please explain how that works?
How is Google able to do this with PM 28 but not PM 27?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-25, 13:57

It requires certain javascript features that Pale Moon 27 doesn't support. So as punishment, users get to solve a bunch of traffic problems :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-07-25, 14:08

Thank you for the reply.
Moonchild wrote:It requires certain javascript features...

What are they?

(Or if it's too hard to explain, what are they called?)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-25, 14:16

coffeebreak wrote:What are they?
ES6/7?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-07-25, 14:22

Tomaso wrote:ES6/7?

Tomaso, Thanks for responding.

I did know (or at least assumed) that much.
But I'll admit I was hoping for a little more specificity.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-07-25, 14:57, edited 2 times in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-07-25, 14:42

Just tried it, persecution!

It went to the mode of me being required to select photo objects, roads, and then signs, or vice-versa, then it told me to select more objects that it told me to look for (the ones that are reported to appear slowly) and then I got the dreaded "try again" message! Then it likely made me select some more stuff before going to a green check mark...

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-07-25, 16:48

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
Weasel wrote:Seems today the worse happened. Captchas won't even be accepted anymore in some websites. When logging in, I do finish them, they seem accepted, green tick is there. I input everything and then click Log in, but it says "Invalid Captcha". I tried 3 different times until I gave up as it might lock up my account.

Only way I could log in was through Chrome. What the hell?
You might have forgot to allow a domain with NoScript, or uMatrix 1.1.4. Are you using a script blocker?
Nope, when I have troubles with some site, first thing I try is to enable everything and disable extensions. Still didn't work. Then I try it in a fresh temporary profile. No go. It's probably some javascript feature missing from PM27.

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2018-07-25, 19:34

Moonchild wrote:
darkroad wrote:I'm using pale moon 28 beta, which has no problem with captcha like pale moon 27 it seem. I click "I'm not a robot" and get the green checkmark right away. The visual questions only show up after several captchas, but they're not too tricky and usually done in one time (as opposed to multiple times like before).
This is because Google gets to use some of your PC's computing power for free, which it can't with Pale Moon 27.
How long does Google use your computing power?

us66mo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by us66mo » 2018-08-01, 19:44

Dustie_Rose wrote:I wanted to see if others are having the "captcha" burden attached to other websites that never used it before that are longtime members with?
I have been spending time contacting various tech supports to see if they added it recently, and were aware it is there.
I spent an hour and a half in a day making attempts on several websites which is absurd!
I noticed the images of "cars" "signs" etc., are getting fuzzier than ever. I can barely seen most on any site and every computer I use.
They are showing up on all my browsers also including: Palemoon, Firefox, Vivaldi, etc. I avoid Google like the plague.
I wondered too if there are developers working on a blocker or addon extension to get around this crap? I am sure I am not alone being totally fedup with being required to prove I am human.
This should only show up for irregular users, trolls as there called. Not continuously burdening regular members and buyers. I have left sites I needed to access just from being pissed. I figure if they want my business, they shouldn't use discriminatory methods that serve no purpose.
Any input or advice is welcome, thanks.
Venting accomplished!

Dustie_Rose :-x :roll: :idea: :coffee:
I got the FF extension "cloudhole-1.4.4-fx.xpi" to install on the latest version of Basilisk and it seems to help once you have successfully negotiated a particular website's captcha request. It wouldn't install on PM 28+ as it tells me it is a web extension, which I guess it is. although it installed on Basilisk.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-08-02, 01:15

thanks for the information. interestingly enough on Chromium, I only had to do it once before it logs into my website I have to use on that browser for this exact reason. Dustie.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-08-02, 02:02

I have been thru all my addons, etc. Not using a script blocker. Tried every combination known to man. Safemode, various browsers, etc. I am not surprised it relates to java script. I need to get on my Sony to check things, time for upgrade anyway. This laptop is super sensitive to java script. What is really bad is some of those pictures in "captcha," get fuzzier and darker on purpose. Hard to see if not impossible.
FYI, I came to the conclusion that those road signs with or w/o the poles attached in those, I did them w/o the poles and it worked quicker.
Go figure...just my experience and opinion.

Dustie_Rose :think:

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-02, 03:07

Dustie_Rose wrote:I came to the conclusion that those road signs with or w/o the poles attached in those, I did them w/o the poles and it worked quicker.
Maybe cos a pole is, er, a pole...

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-08-02, 05:24

In response to Blue Owl:

"See here: https://meta.stackexchange.com/question ... 277_267214 . Apparently, anyone with some privacy settings gets the pictures (it could also be caused by browser bias, I don't know). I can't even remember a single event where clicking the checkbox got me through; which is understandable given that I reject third-party cookies, disable geolocation and periodically clear cookies I don't want."

"And a small secret: no one is sure about what to do with the poles that hold up the street signs."

As I said earler, I stopped including the poles, only actually signage, it overall takes less attempts, in the last two weeks or less. I do believe it does have many elements that trigger these annoyances. I hope we don't hear on the news about someone committing suicide over an incident like this, sick joke. I use all that and a VPN service most all the time.
I am a privacy overboard person, security freak too. Never been the mainstream user. Seems also, that the less secure the browser, the more of annoyances they become. Hence, seeing it as a precurser warning ..lol.
Dustie Rose.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2018-08-02, 16:13

Had to try doing a Captcha thing this week. What a joke. the picture quality was so bad it was impossible to pass the Captcha test. I gave up and that site has lost me. Boston Market you had one of the worst IT departments out there. You have my old email and I connot change it on your site due to the captcha. So all the things you would like me to consider purchasing I will never know about.

I do not get it, there are a lot of sites these days which seem to be pushing users away with their crappy upgrades that fail to work or which take something that used to take a single click and making it now take 3 -5.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson