System Update Readiness Tool uninstalled PaleMoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
al_5488

System Update Readiness Tool uninstalled PaleMoon

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-19, 12:00

Hey all. I'm using windows 7 64 bit and yesterday i noticed that the microsoft security updates have been failing to install since last October. I can't remember for sure but I think I had to reinstall the whole OS at that time. I also noticed that the Turn Windows features on and off box is empty. The first suggestion the windows7 forum makes is to download and run the Security Update readiness hotfix, which I did last night and let the machine run all night. Updates still fail to install and the windows feature box is still empty but Pale Moon was uninstalled. I'm not sure if these issues are related or not? but I do know that you folks would like to know when a microsoft product uninstalls PaleMoon.
Last edited by al_5488 on 2018-07-19, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: System Update Readiness Tool uninstalled PaleMoon

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-19, 12:10

Off-topic:
al_5488 wrote:... Updates still fail to install ...
Have you tried downloading the updates from the Windows Catalogue? (You'll have to look around and find the various KB numbers).

If you try this, just a tip: Before you install each and every update file you've downloaded, you have to make sure Windows Update is STOPPED in Local Services.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-19, 12:19

thanks, yeah I tried manually and they still failed. I trying to find out if my .NET is turned on. that's how I found the windows feature box on and off empty.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-07-19, 12:29

al_5488 wrote:thanks, yeah I tried manually and they still failed. I trying to find out if my .NET is turned on. that's how I found the windows feature box on and off empty.
You're welcome. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-07-19, 13:52

I've had that very issue before and the fix is a little bit more involved. This page tells you what you have to do. It worked for me when I had that issue.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/fix-blank-o ... aturesexe/

al_5488

Unread post by al_5488 » 2018-07-19, 19:47

I got as far as changing the name of the software distribution file. Either I don't have one or the name has been changed already to something unrelated. Maybe Steve.