Manually copying profile info from one computer to another.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ralmond

Manually copying profile info from one computer to another.

Unread post by ralmond » 2018-07-10, 01:01

I am working on setting up a new computer. I copied all of the user files from the old computer, but in the process of upgrading the OS, I also broke the old computer, so I can't easily export the old profile.

I thought I had copied everything in .cache and .config and similar locations, but when I start pale moon, I don't see my history, bookmarks or open tabs.
Where can I find that information from the old system?

I'm afraid I'm going to need to wipe and reinstall my system on the old computer so I can't open pale moon there.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Manually copying profile info from one computer to another.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-10, 07:01

On Linux, profiles (including history/bookmarks/passwords/etc.) are normally stored in ~/.moonchild productions/ -- copying that across should give you back your profile.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ralmond

Unread post by ralmond » 2018-07-10, 14:59

Thanks. I think I figured out what went wrong.

I noticed that on my new machine, under .moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/ the profile file XXXX.default has mode 700.
I think when I tried to copy the profile when booted from the USB it did not copy because I was user 'ubuntu' instead of my normal user. So on the copy of stuff from my old machine, the pale\ moon directory is empty.

So I just need to figure out how to copy the profile as root while booted on the usb drive (and that is a question for another forum).

ralmond

Unread post by ralmond » 2018-07-10, 18:40

I got it working.

1) I booted in the "Try Unix" mode from a USB Ubuntu installer.
2) I copied files to the new machine using rsync (requires ssh to be turned on in the target machine).
2a) create a target directory to hold the changes on the new machine.
2b) use the file browser to find your home directory then open in terminal
rsync -rvzh .moonchild\ productions user@newmachine:/pathto/targetdir/
rsync -rvzh .cache user@newmachine:/pathto/targetdir/

[Note the position of the trailing slashes, this is important in rsync, see man rsync for more info.]
3) now copy

Code: Select all

.moonchild\ productions
and

Code: Select all

.cache/.moonchild\ productions
from the target directory to your home directory.

I even got all my old open tabs back. So I'm happy. I hope this helps somebody else.