Stylus extension won't install

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Smokey20

Stylus extension won't install

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-07-06, 03:23

Mozilla and Google have both banned current Stylish extension ver 3.+. It's been removed from Mozilla Addons site and Chrome store and disabled on all Fx browsers that have ver 3.+ installed (and cannot be reinstalled). I use an older version 2.0.7 (on both Fx and Basilisk) which is supposedly free of spyware and complies with GDPR.

I would like to use Stylus instead as it is based off Stylish 1.5 and it has zero spyware. However, it will not install on Basilisk. Whether I click to install the latest version at Mozilla Addons site (where it indicates it will install on Basilisk), or download it to disk and then drag and drop it on Basilisk, or install it from its github page, it doesn't install and a message pops up saying it appears corrupted. This used to also happen on Fx 52 ESR but I was able to install Stylus 1.4.12 today on Fx 52 ESR so it seems to me it should install on Basilisk.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us/?src=ss

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Stylus extension won't install

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-06, 03:46

Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-07-06, 04:21

Probably because Stylus needs more WebExtensions API. Use Stylem instead.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-07-06, 05:40

mrnhmath wrote:Probably because Stylus needs more WebExtensions API. Use Stylem instead.
but basilisk has same webext support as fx52.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-06, 06:53

roytam1 wrote:
mrnhmath wrote:Probably because Stylus needs more WebExtensions API. Use Stylem instead.
but basilisk has same webext support as fx52.
Indeed, it should work if it installs on Firefox 52-ESR.
Try setting extensions.logging.enabled to true, open the browser console (Ctrl+Shift+J) and then try to install the extension. see if that provides any insight
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-07-07, 11:38

Moonchild wrote:Indeed, it should work if it installs on Firefox 52-ESR.
Try setting extensions.logging.enabled to true, open the browser console (Ctrl+Shift+J) and then try to install the extension. see if that provides any insight
In the future, after ongoing invention of new WebExtensions API, I think most WebExtensions extensions wouldn't run in Firefox 52 ESR (so wouldn't Basilisk).

If so, would WebExtensions feature in Basilisk be deprecated at all in the end to slim down the source code & the binary?

It is slow, though. Try the latest "Dark Background Light Text" extension in Basilisk - it works, but laggy, we can see the renderer re-renders the page - unless the browser has Quantum engine.
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-07-07, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-07, 12:35

Latitude wrote:would WebExtensions feature in Basilisk be deprecated at all in the end
I'll let you know once I've developed precognitive abilities.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-07-07, 15:00

Smokey20 wrote:
Or try "Violentmonkey".
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-07-07, 15:01, edited 5 times in total.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-07-11, 02:29

Nigaikaze wrote:Why not Stylem?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19443
Didn't know about it since I stopped using Pale Moon after version 26. (Very important extensions for me don't work on Pale Moon 27+ but work fine on Basilisk).

I installed Stylem and scratched my head over the tab that opened when I restarted Basilisk. It was perpetually loading but appeared it was supposed to be userstyles.org to get styles.

I finally had to load Vivaldi to actually be able to reach userstyles.org. Why is Basilisk and Pale Moon blocking userstyles.org? I know Mozilla has blocked it along with removing Stylish from AMO but I don't understand why the styles themselves are blocked? I thought it was Stylish 3 (I have Stylish 2.0.7 which is from before the sale of Stylish to snoopers) that Mozilla is blocking (and Google) but not earlier versions. Are all styles at userstyles.org tainted with snooping EVEN WHEN USED IN Stylem? Is that why Pale Moon and Basilisk block userstyles.org?

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-07-11, 02:49

Smokey20 wrote:
Nigaikaze wrote:Why not Stylem?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19443
Didn't know about it since I stopped using Pale Moon after version 26. (Very important extensions for me don't work on Pale Moon 27+ but work fine on Basilisk).

I installed Stylem and scratched my head over the tab that opened when I restarted Basilisk. It was perpetually loading but appeared it was supposed to be userstyles.org to get styles.

I finally had to load Vivaldi to actually be able to reach userstyles.org. Why is Basilisk and Pale Moon blocking userstyles.org? I know Mozilla has blocked it along with removing Stylish from AMO but I don't understand why the styles themselves are blocked? I thought it was Stylish 3 (I have Stylish 2.0.7 which is from before the sale of Stylish to snoopers) that Mozilla is blocking (and Google) but not earlier versions. Are all styles at userstyles.org tainted with snooping EVEN WHEN USED IN Stylem? Is that why Pale Moon and Basilisk block userstyles.org?
if you're talking about userstyle.org with pm27, they wrote javascript with syntax incompatible with pm27, and there is an error in javascript console:

Code: Select all

10:45:56.561 SyntaxError: invalid for/in left-hand side  https://userstyles.org/ui/app.js  54890:6

for (const param of input.split('&')) {
     ^

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-11, 06:56

Smokey20 wrote:... Why is Basilisk and Pale Moon blocking userstyles.org?
They're not. See roytam1's reply.
Smokey20 wrote:Are all styles at userstyles.org tainted with snooping EVEN WHEN USED IN Stylem? Is that why Pale Moon and Basilisk block userstyles.org?
No, the styles should only be CSS.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-07-11, 07:03

roytam1 wrote:
if you're talking about userstyle.org with pm27, they wrote javascript with syntax incompatible with pm27, and there is an error in javascript console:

10:45:56.561 SyntaxError: invalid for/in left-hand side  https://userstyles.org/ui/app.js  54890:6

^
But Basilisk is NOT Pale Moon so why doesn't userstyle.org load on Basilisk? Plus, on Fx 52.9 ESR I get a blank page there and Fx is not Pale Moon. userstyle.org loads on OTHER forks of Fx. It's hassle enough to not be able to use Stylish 2.0.7. It makes no sense to have to start Vivaldi to use userstyle.org for Basilisk and Stylem. Oh, and Edge works there just fine also but I want to use Basilisk!

This is ridiculous. Why did you guys tell me to get stylem when Basilisk can't get to userstyles.org? I can get to userstyles.org ONLY on Vivaldi and Edge but I cannot download a style using Vivaldi (and then copy it to stylem) because the style I want requires Stylish and on Vivaldi I only have Stylus since Google removed Stylish from their store. Is there a way to download a style to disk and then add it to Stylem?
Last edited by Smokey20 on 2018-07-11, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-07-11, 10:47

It works fine on Pale Moon 28 so should have no problem on Basilisk. Have you updated Basilisk recently? Have you tried disabling other add-ons (other than Stylem of course)?

For what it's worth, if another site appeared that did a similar job I'd look into it for Stylem perhaps. There's openusercss.org, but I'm really not a fan of how this site works (plus it doesn't work on Pale Moon 27 anyway), and the .user.css format it promotes doesn't directly work with Stylem currently and would take some work to get working (though depending how formatted many of the styles there should still work OK). I can't currently confirm if this format would be supported in Stylem, but who knows what the future holds. Pull requests welcome.
Last edited by Lootyhoof on 2018-07-11, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-07-11, 11:34

Lootyhoof wrote:It works fine on Pale Moon 28 so should have no problem on Basilisk. Have you updated Basilisk recently? Have you tried disabling other add-ons (other than Stylem of course)?

For what it's worth, if another site appeared that did a similar job I'd look into it for Stylem perhaps. There's openusercss.org, but I'm really not a fan of how this site works (plus it doesn't work on Pale Moon 27 anyway), and the .user.css format it promotes doesn't directly work with Stylem currently and would take some work to get working (though depending how formatted many of the styles there should still work OK). I can't currently confirm if this format would be supported in Stylem, but who knows what the future holds. Pull requests welcome.
I was editing my post again so just now see your post. Stylem installed just fine on Basilisk and imported the two styles I had on Stylish 2.07 which I disabled before installing Stylem. I have the latest version of Basilisk on Windows 10 Pro 1709.

The problem is that I cannot access userstyles.org on Basilisk (or Fx 52.9 ESR). There are several threads at userstyles.org forum where users are complaining that they have had to abandon Pale Moon and Basilisk and go to waterfox because they cannot access userstyles.org on Pale Moon or Basilisk. I am very frustrated because I can access userstyles.org on Vivaldi and Edge browsers. I have Stylus installed on Vivaldi but the style I want to install from userstyles.org was made for Stylish (it's the old multiple column bookmarks I used for umpteen years on Firefox). It won't download because Google removed Stylish from the Chrome store so I get a 404 error trying to download.

I cannot even access userstyles.org on Fx 52.9 ESR on Windows 10 to get the style that way. It is late now but tomorrow evening I will try making a new profile for Fx (the one I use goes back to Fx 10 ESR so it has some corruption) and see if I can access userstyles.org then. I'll also try Basilisk and Fx on my Windows 8.0 Pro computer tomorrow evening to see if I can access userstyles.org from that computer.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-07-11, 11:41

Smokey20 wrote:
roytam1 wrote:

^
But Basilisk is NOT Pale Moon so why doesn't userstyle.org load on Basilisk? Plus, on Fx 52.9 ESR I get a blank page there and Fx is not Pale Moon. userstyle.org loads on OTHER forks of Fx. It's hassle enough to not be able to use Stylish 2.0.7. It makes no sense to have to start Vivaldi to use userstyle.org for Basilisk and Stylem. Oh, and Edge works there just fine also but I want to use Basilisk!

This is ridiculous. Why did you guys tell me to get stylem when Basilisk can't get to userstyles.org? I can get to userstyles.org ONLY on Vivaldi and Edge but I cannot download a style using Vivaldi (and then copy it to stylem) because the style I want requires Stylish and on Vivaldi I only have Stylus since Google removed Stylish from their store. Is there a way to download a style to disk and then add it to Stylem?
oh, does it?
My self-built Basilisk has no issue on accessing userstyles.org
bk52.png

christian
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by christian » 2019-02-07, 15:03

I can confirm this issue with stylem, many months ago this happens when you try to install an usertyle using stylem, look the button, this is not all the time but 90% it happens, sometimes it fixes itself reloading the page but not allways. Maybe someone can help with this. :wave:
Screenshot_1.jpg