Have mercy on us 32-bit souls

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: satrow

cabonamigo
New to the forum
New to the forum
Posts: 1
Joined: 2018-01-02, 17:44

Have mercy on us 32-bit souls

Unread post by cabonamigo » 2018-01-02, 17:54

Why not a 32 bit version, for the poor, impaired, weak and weary. :thumbup:
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-03, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1855
Joined: 2015-09-26, 04:51
Location: U.S.

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-01-02, 18:58

I take it that you're on Linux...?
Because for Windows there is a 32 bit version.

User avatar
fatboy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 226
Joined: 2017-12-19, 08:03

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-01-16, 11:32

coffeebreak wrote:I take it that you're on Linux...?
Because for Windows there is a 32 bit version.
Indeed, I am using it, because you can't run 64 bit programs on Windows, since it's using ALL the RAM :P

User avatar
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer
Posts: 1562
Joined: 2013-05-20, 18:19
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-16, 13:41

Sorry, but for various reasons there are no plans for a 32-bit build of Basilisk on Linux.

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 33
Joined: 2017-12-18, 08:50

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by dodona » 2018-01-17, 18:48

cabonamigo wrote:Why not a 32 bit version, for the poor, impaired, weak and weary. :thumbup:
are there still 32-bit Linuxes out there?
Everybody has 64-bit machines.

Latitude
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 597
Joined: 2016-03-21, 18:28

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-01-27, 11:32

trava90 wrote:Sorry, but for various reasons there are no plans for a 32-bit build of Basilisk on Linux.
What are they?

User avatar
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer
Posts: 1562
Joined: 2013-05-20, 18:19
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-28, 13:47

While I understand that there are people who prefer or must use a 32-bit distro, for the vast majority of people there is no real reason they shouldn't be using 64-bit. 32-bit Linux is a dying breed. Additionally, many distros already have or are in the process of dropping 32-bit.

Release engineering - a 32-bit Basilisk must be cross-compiled in a 64-bit environment - something I've not successfully been able to do yet (and have stable binaries).

Basilisk is a modern browser targeting modern systems.

User avatar
adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 733
Joined: 2017-06-06, 07:38

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-16, 18:52

Request granted!

Here is a build that I created for my personal use. Browser will identify itself as "Nightly" as official branding isn't used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ejrqnv24xxf ... r.bz2?dl=1

User avatar
AthlonXPUser
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 24
Joined: 2018-06-28, 19:57

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by AthlonXPUser » 2018-07-02, 18:04

adesh wrote:Here is a build that I created for my personal use. Browser will identify itself as "Nightly" as official branding isn't used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ejrqnv24xxf ... r.bz2?dl=1
When I try to run this I'm getting "Illegal instruction". This must be because it was compiled with a flag to use SSE2 instructions, which my CPU doesn't support (I'm getting the same error for Konqueror, I checked the details for that issue, it wanted to do 64 bit operations on xmm registers). Is there a way to compile Basilisk for Linux without SSE2? In the requirements (https://basilisk-browser.org/requirements.shtml) only the Windows build requires SSE2, so I think it would be possible to run Basilisk on Linux on an Athlon XP. Please advise.

User avatar
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer
Posts: 1562
Joined: 2013-05-20, 18:19
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-07-02, 18:32

No. Basilisk (and any UXP application) uses and requires SSE2. If your CPU doesn't support it you can't use it.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24612
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-02, 18:54

To clarify, the requirements page has been updated.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
AthlonXPUser
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 24
Joined: 2018-06-28, 19:57

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by AthlonXPUser » 2018-07-02, 19:10

Cool, thanks.

But I have to admit that my OCD kicked in: could you please place the CPU and RAM requirements in the same order for both platforms? Also the software and hardware requirements are really mixed up.
It should be something like this:

Windows requirements

A modern processor (must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum).
1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for heavy use).
Dedicated GPU strongly recommended.
Windows 7 or later. Windows XP or Windows Vista are not supported.

Linux requirements

A modern processor (must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum).
1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for heavy use).
Dedicated GPU and hardware accelerated video in X strongly recommended.
A modern Linux distribution. This browser may not work well on old or LTS releases of Linux.
GTK+ 3.4 or higher.
GLib 2.22 or higher.
Pango 1.14 or higher.
X.Org 1.0 or higher (1.7 or higher is recommended).
libstdc++ 4.6.1 or higher.
Last edited by AthlonXPUser on 2018-07-02, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24612
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-02, 19:30

Sorry, you'll just have to live with it.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
AthlonXPUser
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer
Posts: 24
Joined: 2018-06-28, 19:57

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by AthlonXPUser » 2018-07-02, 19:47

By the way, having a second look, all you would need to do is to put the Linux SSE2 line below the GPU line, so at least it would have the same ordering as for Windows.

EDIT: I won't live with this, I'm gonna create a userscript.
Last edited by AthlonXPUser on 2018-07-02, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SpockFan02
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 472
Joined: 2017-09-24, 16:35

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-02, 23:00

Off-topic:
AthlonXPUser wrote:...

EDIT: I won't live with this, I'm gonna create a userscript.
:thumbup: This made me smile.

zapper
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 33
Joined: 2018-04-30, 23:40

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-04, 20:19

trava90 wrote:While I understand that there are people who prefer or must use a 32-bit distro, for the vast majority of people there is no real reason they shouldn't be using 64-bit. 32-bit Linux is a dying breed. Additionally, many distros already have or are in the process of dropping 32-bit.

Release engineering - a 32-bit Basilisk must be cross-compiled in a 64-bit environment - something I've not successfully been able to do yet (and have stable binaries).

Basilisk is a modern browser targeting modern systems.
Not disagreeing with you that 32 bit is a dying breed, but then, why do you still support 32 bit windows? 32 bit linux is way more common I bet then 32 bit windows and probably more stable/easy to make

I am also curious though why mac os x isn't supported. Not that I care, I use Hyperbola a free software distro based on Archlinux and Debian packages anyways.

I am though very interested in your reasoning.

Almost forgot, 64 bit is what I use.
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-04, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.

vannilla
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 668
Joined: 2018-05-05, 13:29

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-04, 22:50

zapper wrote:why do you still support 32 bit windows?
32 bit Linux and 32 bit Windows have nothing to do with each other, and supporting one has no effect in supporting the other.
Don't be fooled by the 32 in both names.
The reason is that the two system follow a different development model, so "32 bit Linux" has a different meaning than "32 bit Windows".

zapper
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 33
Joined: 2018-04-30, 23:40

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-05, 02:21

vannilla wrote:
zapper wrote:why do you still support 32 bit windows?
32 bit Linux and 32 bit Windows have nothing to do with each other, and supporting one has no effect in supporting the other.
Don't be fooled by the 32 in both names.
The reason is that the two system follow a different development model, so "32 bit Linux" has a different meaning than "32 bit Windows".
Yes, I know that 32 bit is different from linux to windows. I am just asking why not cut out 32 bit support completely. That's all.

No need to think I am a moron. ;)

typo... ugh.

But yeah, this doesn't affect me at all. I use a 64 bit distro. I am more curious than anything.
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-05, 02:23, edited 2 times in total.

vannilla
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 668
Joined: 2018-05-05, 13:29

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-05, 06:59

zapper wrote: Yes, I know that 32 bit is different from linux to windows. I am just asking why not cut out 32 bit support completely. That's all.
In short:
32 bit Windows: a standard Windows installation.
64 bit Windows: a modernized Windows where most programs won't work because they are compiled for 32 bit.

32 bit Linux: used only on old computer with 32 bit processors.
64 bit Linux: a standard Linux installation.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-07-05, 07:47

vannilla wrote: 64 bit Windows: a modernized Windows where most programs won't work because they are compiled for 32 bit.
That's actually not true, most 32 bit programs will run on Windows 64 bit. The biggest thing with 64 bit is that your not limited to the 3.5 gigs of ram. ;)
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-07-05, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply