Captchas hell

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Captchas hell

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-07-01, 20:56

I don't mind the street signs, you can complete them fast.

But the other ones that fade in and out in 10 seconds for EACH picture of a stupid car or bus... now that's pure meh.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-07-02, 04:09

I've gotten the Google captchas before, but for legit purposes, like WHOIS quires, etc. But never constantly like everyone else.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-07-02, 05:43

Baloo wrote: I'm not sure why Google designs their captchas this way.
Because they can be exploited. I have seen spamming software that can read the image and in most cases answer correctly. After a spam run the unsure Capthcas are left for you to answer manually, and in most of those cases it was guesswork because the image was so messed up it made no sense to a human. That's why the trend to move away from Captcha... a lot of sites now ask a simple test questions that the user should know.

Weasel
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Weasel » 2018-07-02, 17:16

Seems today the worse happened. Captchas won't even be accepted anymore in some websites. When logging in, I do finish them, they seem accepted, green tick is there. I input everything and then click Log in, but it says "Invalid Captcha". I tried 3 different times until I gave up as it might lock up my account.

Only way I could log in was through Chrome. What the hell?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-07-02, 23:04

I've noticed the repeated captchas for a while, but I understand that I don't give off enough information to be easily fingerprinted, so I accept multiple captchas as a fact of life right now. However, I'm here to report that for whatever reason, the images load MUCH faster now when I click on them, and they slowly replace with a new image. This speed increase (for whatever reason) is a welcome change (probably Google taking their head out of their ass for one second). Has anyone else noticed this, or are the image replacement loading speeds unchanged for you?
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-07-02, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-07-03, 21:21

If a particular captcha is giving me hell I'll just use the listen to feature.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-07-04, 08:34

BenFenner wrote:I've noticed the repeated captchas for a while, but I understand that I don't give off enough information to be easily fingerprinted, so I accept multiple captchas as a fact of life right now. However, I'm here to report that for whatever reason, the images load MUCH faster now when I click on them, and they slowly replace with a new image. This speed increase (for whatever reason) is a welcome change (probably Google taking their head out of their ass for one second). Has anyone else noticed this, or are the image replacement loading speeds unchanged for you?
hasn't noticed it at all. in fact it's gotten so bad i stopped using google as my main search provider, only opting to use it when duckduckgo fails to deliver satisfactory search results (which is, sadly, more common than i had hoped for), or i need a specialized search within a domain (once again, a feature DDG is extremely lacking)

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-04, 16:18

fillerup wrote:... i need a specialized search within a domain (once again, a feature DDG is extremely lacking)
site:domain query works just fine for me with ddg... Also, they have a fancy !bang system that works for many sites.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-07-04, 19:20

Off-topic:
Yah, don't be confused. I never use Google or their products if I can avoid it. Their captchas are just in use almost everywhere, so it's tough there.

Not sure what you mean fillerup about DuckDuckGo and domain searches. It works using the same magical incantations as Google.
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-07-04, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-07-05, 06:16

SpockFan02 wrote:site:domain query works just fine for me with ddg...
BenFenner wrote:
Off-topic:
Not sure what you mean fillerup about DuckDuckGo and domain searches. It works using the same magical incantations as Google.
sorry, i meant that the DDG results can be very unsatisfactory compared to google's
SpockFan02 wrote:Also, they have a fancy !bang system that works for many sites.
!g just redirects my query to google, or am i missing something?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-05, 06:19

fillerup wrote:
SpockFan02 wrote:Also, they have a fancy !bang system that works for many sites.
!w for Wikipedia, !wikt for Wiktionary, !a for Amazon, !yt for YouTube, !ma for Memory Alpha... Here's a list: https://duckduckgo.com/bang

spinneyfield99

Re: reCapcha woes

Unread post by spinneyfield99 » 2018-07-05, 14:13

Also struggling with recaptcha. It has started popping up on gumtree and a series of mainstream shopping sites. Sometimes I go up to 25 iterations before giving up. Is it my imagination or did it get worse after the data protection shenanigans?
Really needing some help here. The Recaptcha 'help' page didn't help much - and quite often the audio option is simply refused! Arg.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-07-05, 15:00

SpockFan02 wrote:
fillerup wrote:
!w for Wikipedia, !wikt for Wiktionary, !a for Amazon, !yt for YouTube, !ma for Memory Alpha... Here's a list: https://duckduckgo.com/bang
oh sure, but i can set up my own, more efficient keywords for that. !g doesn't really solve either issues: lack of satisfactory results on DDG, and captcha/privacy issues with google

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: reCapcha woes

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-05, 20:08

25 iterations? wow, that's pretty bad. I wouldn't have the patience for that.

As for tips to satisfy the algorithm: take your time, use more random ways of selecting the images, and don't be afraid to make a mistake now and then. Also, your network connection may play a part (bad IP neighborhood, using a VPN or shared proxy, etc.). Also, if you have a google account, make sure you log in and remain logged in -- recpatcha is more lenient towards people who are logged in with their google account.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2018-07-05, 21:02

25 iterations? wow, that's pretty bad.
I've taken to submitting a comment to any site that annoys with such behavior. Two or three such comments a month won't result in a change. But 1,000 might.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-07-05, 23:51

fillerup wrote:oh sure, but i can set up my own, more efficient keywords for that. !g doesn't really solve either issues: lack of satisfactory results on DDG, and captcha/privacy issues with google
You tried StartPage?

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-07-05, 23:56

context wrote:I've taken to submitting a comment to any site that annoys with such behavior. Two or three such comments a month won't result in a change. But 1,000 might.
I've tried that twice. First time I was ignored; second time the site owner told me that without the recaptcha his log in page just got hammered by bots. Which seems a fair point...

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-07-06, 02:12

doofy wrote:
fillerup wrote:oh sure, but i can set up my own, more efficient keywords for that. !g doesn't really solve either issues: lack of satisfactory results on DDG, and captcha/privacy issues with google
You tried StartPage?
yes i tried it a number of times, definitely not for me

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-07-06, 02:51

fillerup wrote:
doofy wrote:
You tried StartPage?
yes i tried it a number of times, definitely not for me
Why?

I stopped using google search after I started using a VPN all the time, and they kept hitting me with recaptchas; and subsequently I turned off all google scripts 'cept when I need a recaptcha for logins. I have maybe a dozen sites I log in to that need a recaptcha and I can live with that. All but one allow me to stay logged in if I simply set an auto refresh on the page.

When I tested the duck, startpage, searx.me; startpage consistently out performed the other 2 so now I don't bother to test no more. Another nice feature abt SP is you can set prefs without a cookie.

Maybe you have more requirements in a search than I do...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-06, 06:54

Please stay on-topic.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite