pale moon is slow

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
j0hnt1t0rxx1

pale moon is slow

Unread post by j0hnt1t0rxx1 » 2018-07-02, 01:45

I'm using pale moon to linux mint, and I'm having some issues with it.
First that he sometimes or a good part of the time, is always very slow or heavy.
It is very common when I open a new tab, it ends up taking longer than expected. Sliding with a mouse on some heavier page with it is really a problem for me, it's very stuck and frustrating.
Not to mention that sometimes the CPU usage he uses is quite absurd, my notebook even gets hot. It is not always, but it has happened a few times.
How can I solve this?
I use linux mint, 32 bit, and 2gb of RAM. Processor i3.
Sorry for the mistakes, I do not speak English, and I'm using google translator.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: pale moon is slow

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-07-02, 06:42

First you might want to check that there isn't some other process that sucks up resources.
Then maybe it could be an extension, if you have any. If you do, try running the browser in safe mode.
If you tried already... report what happened still. More infos are always better.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-02, 11:02

I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.3 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce and Pale Moon is fast when I'm using it. No slowness, no lags and no freezing. The only difference between us, you're using 32 bit linux Pale Moon and I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon. But I don't think the different bits you and I are using is the problem unless you're using 32 bit linux Pale Moon and your motherboard is 64 bits. This can cause a problem.

If your motherboard is 32 bits, then your problem might be from an extension. If not from an extension, have you considered your linux Pale Moon profile has gotten corrupted?

All of my linux Pale Moon browsers work very well in all of my linux hard drives in all four of my computers (2 desktop tower computers, 2 laptops). All of my four computers are different models too.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-07-02, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-07-02, 11:18

I'm also running Linux Mint 64-bit and also experience no issues like the ones you describe. Do you have any extensions or themes installed, and if so, have you tried running without them (using Safe Mode) to see if the performance issues persist?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

j0hnt1t0rxx1

Unread post by j0hnt1t0rxx1 » 2018-07-02, 22:25

vannilla
I did the test here in safe mode, and the way the browser is slow, and as much as caught in a little heavier pages remains.
There was no absurd use of CPU, even because I tested for a short time, but usually the same thing.

Night Wing
I'm trying at that time to find out if my motherboard is 32 bits or 64, I'll try if that's the problem.
edit
Look, I know my processor is 64 bits, but by CPU G, I can not tell if my motherboard is 32bit or 64bit. Do you know a way to find out?

Isengrim
The only extension I use is adblock, I do not think that's the problem.
I did the test here in safe mode, and the way the browser is slow, and as much as caught in a little heavier pages remains.
There was no absurd use of CPU, even because I tested for a short time, but usually the same thing.
Last edited by j0hnt1t0rxx1 on 2018-07-02, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2018-07-03, 01:02

If your CPU supports 64-bit, it's safe to say the the motherboard will. But using 64-bit apps uses around 20% more of your limited RAM compared to 32-bit.

I wonder if these "heavy" pages are eating up all that 2 GB of RAM and forcing the system to use swap, which will indeed slow it down a hundred times or more. That is a very common problem with older machines and today's bloated web pages.

Can you give us some idea of RAM or swap use when you're running Pale Moon and these heavy pages? The fourth line of "top" in the terminal will tell you that, or there are various desktop and panel widgets that will display that. Mint's default Cinnamon is not the lightest desktop, either.

There are various strategies one can use with only 2 GB of RAM to avoid swap...but nothing beats adding another 2 GB of RAM.
Last edited by stevenpusser on 2018-07-03, 01:06, edited 2 times in total.

j0hnt1t0rxx1

Unread post by j0hnt1t0rxx1 » 2018-07-03, 01:38

stevepusser wrote:If your CPU supports 64-bit, it's safe to say the the motherboard will. But using 64-bit apps uses around 20% more of your limited RAM compared to 32-bit.

I wonder if these "heavy" pages are eating up all that 2 GB of RAM and forcing the system to use swap, which will indeed slow it down a hundred times or more. That is a very common problem with older machines and today's bloated web pages.

Can you give us some idea of RAM or swap use when you're running Pale Moon and these heavy pages? The fourth line of "top" in the terminal will tell you that, or there are various desktop and panel widgets that will display that. Mint's default Cinnamon is not the lightest desktop, either.

There are various strategies one can use with only 2 GB of RAM to avoid swap...but nothing beats adding another 2 GB of RAM.
The use of ram memory is very stable, approximately 500mb with some flap with heavy pages open.
The cpu increases from time to time in an absurd peak, but soon returns to its normal state.
Usage of memory usually below 50%, but still the browser is slow to use and frustrating.
And I use linux mint xfce.
Last edited by j0hnt1t0rxx1 on 2018-07-03, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-03, 12:23

It is very common when I open a new tab, it ends up taking longer than expected.
What opens when you open a new tab?
If it is the 'Pale Moon start page', then very possible it is "heavy".
High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start
Last edited by therube on 2018-07-03, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-03, 12:58

It was already stated that CPU usage was normal with the exception of the absurd peak now and then (those peaks are probably when the browser is tasked to compie several MBs of JavaScript for some framework on a website) so the home page setting would not make any difference even if it's slightly more expensive because of its dynamic nature.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

j0hnt1t0rxx1

Unread post by j0hnt1t0rxx1 » 2018-07-03, 14:28

therube wrote:
It is very common when I open a new tab, it ends up taking longer than expected.
What opens when you open a new tab?
If it is the 'Pale Moon start page', then very possible it is "heavy".
High CPU on palemoon.start.me/start
Hello. Thanks for the tip. But the standard pale moon home page is not even the page I use for the browser. It also slowed my browser when I used it, though, it only happened the first time I opened the nevagador, because I took it the same day I started using the browser.