no sound on bitchute (can't unmute); youtube works fine.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lew Rockwell Fan

no sound on bitchute (can't unmute); youtube works fine.

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-07-02, 05:34

About an hour ago, all videos on bitchute quit playing sound for me. Youtube works. I can play bitchute in Fire Fox and that works. I've:
-tried in safe mode
-rebooted
-experimented with different actions under tools,prefs,applications

Suggestions?
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-07-02, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: no sound on bitchute; youtube works fine.

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-07-02, 06:50

Bitchute works for me. But I had to use a "wide open profile" to get it to work. Nowadays I have separate restricted-permission profiles for each major web forum I visit, and a wide open profile for sites that demand cookies from 3rd parties, etc.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-07-02, 07:43

Thanks for the feedback. I should think safe mode would cover that bet. I haven't changed any settings since it was working. It was working fine on several videos. Then not on the next. And none since.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-07-02, 15:52

Figured out this much: The player is stuck on mute. When I click to unmute it PM it doesn't change. A freshly created new profile works fine. So I'm thinking, maybe some extension was still effecting it even in safe mode or maybe some setting. But I didn't change any. It was literally working normally on moment & then it didn't.

Also found a small bug I think. When adding an extension to the new profile in a separate instance, the restart button doesn't restart the same profile.

Restored all settings in Tools_menu,prefs,applications to match the fresh profile that works, mostly VLC, and restarted. Still can't unmute.

Progress: I can unmute with pavuucontrol. The icon in the bitchute player window continues to indicate that the stream is muted, but it is not. But the effect isn't persistent. If I reload the tab it is muted again.

I doubt it, but maybe this is tied up with bluetooth problems. My bluetooth settings on my earphones frequently spontaneously change from "audio sink" to "headset", which has to be reverted manually.
Last edited by Lew Rockwell Fan on 2018-07-02, 16:34, edited 4 times in total.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2018-07-02, 19:19

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I should think safe mode would cover that bet. I haven't changed any settings since it was working. It was working fine on several videos. Then not on the next. And none since.
By "wide open" I mean allowing all cookies, etc including 3rd-party. I ran into an issue once when I got enthusiastic with a hosts file. Videos from one site, which I wanted to watch, stopped working. It turns out that site was "outsourcing" the videoplaying to a 3rd party. Trying to block 3rd party video ads blocked that site from playing the videos I wanted,
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: no sound on bitchute (can't unmute); youtube works fine.

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-07-02, 20:39

Thanks again. Starting from a fresh profile, which is working, I'm adding back my extensions and settings one at a time. I will check the cooky settings. Right now, I'm leaning toward the hypothesis that there was some file corruption in the broken profile, since I didn't change anything in beween the last video that worked and the first one that didn't. It was still the same PM session. As soon as one video ended, I opened the next. So it seems it has to be something I didn't do actively. Could have been some silent updating I suppose, but AFAIK I have all that turned off. Another possibility is that bitchute made some change that doesn't affect most setups but did mine.

So, as far as usability is concerned I have it working. I won't call it solved untiil I know what broke it. If I figure anything out, I'll post here. Guess I could always blame the Russians. ;-)