what about continued support for windows Vista?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
extra_D_string
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

what about continued support for windows Vista?

Unread post by extra_D_string » 2018-06-27, 07:17

Firefox support for the "ESR" editions will end in August 2018 for Windows Vista users. When does Moonchild plan to end support for Pale Moon for Vista?

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: what about continued support for windows Vista?

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-27, 08:26

Contrary to what many reports claim, Vista is still support for Windows Updates. In fact Windows XP is also still supported for Windows Updates.

I found out the truth after installing both Windows XP Home and Windows Vista Home in VMware Workstation to restore my test bench following a rebuild of my main PC.

Both Windows XP and Windows Vista are still updating after a couple days at a time. XP has finally slowed down and is now only updating for new found Microsoft applications as I install them.
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-06-27, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-06-27, 08:53

Vista means Death - in general.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pxbye
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-27, 09:57

According to the Minimum platform requirements for UXP minimal Windows kernel version required to run UXP is 6. This includes Windows Vista kernel. But that is the platform minimal requirement. Pale Moon minimal requirements may be different.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-27, 10:04

WilliamK wrote:Contrary to what many reports claim, Vista is still support for Windows Updates. In fact Windows XP is also still supported for Windows Updates.
There's a difference between "patches are still being served to existing installations" and "new patches are being made for the OS".

As for our support: support for features will be limited in Vista, but since it matches the minimum platform requirements there's no reason to change that on a per-application basis.
UXP applications including Basilisk and Pale Moon 28 should continue to run on Vista in the foreseeable future.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2018-06-27, 10:07

Some OS statistics.
Vista on the second page ;)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-06-27, 19:14

Al6bus wrote:Some OS statistics.
Vista on the second page ;)
.40% hahaha. :lol:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-06-27, 19:19

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:Vista means Death - in general.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pxbye
Off-topic:
:lol: :clap: Nice!

RMK99
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by RMK99 » 2018-06-27, 20:49

XP and Vista is dead. Why support dead system ?
Last edited by RMK99 on 2018-06-27, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-27, 21:17

RMK99 wrote:XP and Vista is dead. Why support dead system ?
Windows XP is not supported and support for Windows Vista will mostly come for free if you support other systems that use NT 6.x kernel.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-28, 02:56

After installing 1,480+ XP updates, there is still more...

Last edited by Pelican on 2018-06-28, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 08:15

So are you really not understanding what I said or are you just choosing not to?
Moonchild wrote:There's a difference between "patches are still being served to existing installations" and "new patches are being made for the OS".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-06-28, 22:43

From his screenshot I looked up the first two that was specifically for XP:

kb2808679 for XP was released on 10-8-2013
kb2632503 for XP was released on 1-9-2012

If he didn't understand before that he's only getting old "updates," hopefully he does now.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-28, 22:56

Yes, I always realised that and also realise that the updates provided are not by date released. Otherwise why would those updates be provided after already installing 1,490 other updates, of course unless I still have another 1,000 to go?

Yes, support has stopped and updates for bugfixes may have stopped also, but as you can see, one can still install XP from an original OEM disk with SP3 and then get all the updates that were ever available.

To activate both XP and Vista now I had to use the phone method as it is no longer permitted to do so online.

Why my interest in XP? Because I have corporate clients with 600+ workstations still using it!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-29, 04:58

Off-topic:
Corporate clients with that many workstations should be using WSUS on an in-house server, not connecting out individually.
Corporate clients should also not still be using XP in 2018, period. If they are, their IT department has not done their job to keep the infrastructure in use healthy.
But all this is getting rather off-topic.
The fact remains that all this is irrelevant in terms of support for a specific OS by the browser. Vista will be supported as part of being an NT6-class OS, but because of its limitations, support will be limited as well. Not everything will work or work smoothly on Vista.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-29, 12:17

Those corporate intranets are still working (just like my partner's computer), so why throw more money at them and lose time and production in process?

Or, to put it another way... if it aint broken, why try to fix it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-29, 12:28

Off-topic:
But from a business perspective, it *is* broken.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-29, 17:46

WilliamK wrote:Those corporate intranets are still working (just like my partner's computer), so why throw more money at them and lose time and production in process?

Or, to put it another way... if it aint broken, why try to fix it?
Off-topic:
I've done work for customers that have that same mentality. They deeply regretted it when WannaCrypt hit a bunch of their unsecured Windows XP and 7 computers.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-29, 20:59

From a business perspective, what would it cost to upgrade 600 workstations that may be scatttered through 2 or 3 different manufacturing plants?

Keeping in mind that the hardware will need upgrading as well to support the newer software. Also take into account the downtime and the fact that a "network rollout" will not work.
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-06-29, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2018-06-29, 21:50

WilliamK wrote:From a business perspective, what would it cost to upgrade 600 workstations that may be scatttered through 2 or 3 different manufacturing plants?
Less than it would cost to be completely hosed by Ransomware. I hope none of those machines are connected to the internet, because taking over an XP machine is beyond trivial.