Search bar changed in beta1 Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v28 milestone building on UXP.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Search bar changed in beta1

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 18:01

The Search Bar (Find function) has changed after updating from v28.0.0a4 to the new beta1 build === it has always displayed as black w/ white text (instead of white w/ black [very blurred] text) going all the back to v25+ and as illustrated in the screen-shot the text is very badly blurred as well.

It now displays as such:
Find banner in beta1.png
The Search Bar (Find function) has always been black for every version of PM going back to when I started using Pale Moon as of v25.x -- but now since updating to PM v28.0.0b1 it renders very badly. :thumbdown: (Note: this resulted is tested in "Safe Mode")
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-25, 18:17, edited 4 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Search bar changed in beta1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-25, 19:27

Your "blur" is actually a text shadow which is not part of our normal find bar styling. This must be because of something you are using, e.g. an extension or theme or styling css.
The Findbar's environment has changed as it is now part of the tabbed browser instead of the global window.

For the record, the find bar with default styling looks as follows:
findbar1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 19:59

Moonchild wrote:Your "blur" is actually a text shadow which is not part of our normal find bar styling. This must be because of something you are using, e.g. an extension or theme or styling css.
The Findbar's environment has changed as it is now part of the tabbed browser instead of the global window.

For the record, the find bar with default styling looks as follows:
findbar1.png
Thanks for the reply.

The "text shadow" was as you suggested caused by my "Dark" theme --- problem is I have now tried 12 other different themes that render in a similar manner as my "Dark" theme and I find the "text shadow" continues to be a problem for all 12 of the other themes I tried.

Since I'm unable to find a "Dark" type theme that does not have this problem --- can something be done about this since it appears I'm unable to use any themes so far that are even similar to my original "Dark" theme that I've been using for many years?
What is meant by the "tabbed browser" as opposed to the "global window"?
Also is there any way to change the Find bar back to the way it rendered before (via a Pale Moon option) as far as the color rendering? I ask this because it appears to me that the Find Bar now only blends well with the PM default theme....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-25, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-25, 20:09

I would suggest using userChrome.css.

Try something like

Code: Select all

.findbar-button > .toolbarbutton-text { text-shadow: 0 0 0 !important; }

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 20:34

^ I'll try that with the theme I prefer -- but then it will still not have a black rendering of the Find Bar....

In the meantime I have also checked out Official Pale Moon themes -- Link: https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/

And for the record I've found only two that even come close to what I formerly used for many years that I've over this time liked very much.

The only two that come close to what I had before from the "Official Pale Moon Themes" page are:
1) Dark Moon -- which renders this with missing text in the Find Bar (so that's no good):
Dark Moon offical theme has problesm with text in find bar.png
2) DarkPitch -- which appears to be the only one that works reasonably well (that is renders the text and not blurred) but still has it's flaws the way it renders -- so I guess I may be forced to go with this theme -- what I do not like is it renders a pale blue line at the bottom of the tabs bar (above the address bar which I have below my tabs at the top) which is something I'd prefer to NOT have displayed if I had my druthers. Also the toolbar and the status bar are more of a gray color than the desired black I'd prefer and I don't particularly like the way the scroll bar is rendered as well but since it is the ONLY theme I can find that comes close that does NOT HAVE FIND BAR ISSUES what can I do? (I'd prefer to simply keep the theme I was previously using all these years that I'm happy with actually - but such is "change" which is not always what you might want unfortunately)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-25, 20:42, edited 3 times in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-06-25, 20:44

^ Themes will probably be updated in due course. Due to changes in default styles in UXP, themes will require some work before they are fully "usable".

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-06-25, 21:33

Pale Moon Rising wrote:1) Dark Moon -- which renders this with missing text in the Find Bar (so that's no good)
And as if by magic, it's fixed. ;)

As an aside (and I'm talking to anyone reading this - not just you) if you spot an issue in any of my themes, please let me know - I'm not omniscient, and if not reported (and I don't otherwise have to go looking at certain themes) the problem won't just "go away". I do actively work on reported issues, though.

As far as UXP compatibility is concerned any of my themes marked compatible with Pale Moon 28 is as complete as I am aware.
Pale Moon Rising wrote:what I do not like is it renders a pale blue line at the bottom of the tabs bar (above the address bar which I have below my tabs at the top) which is something I'd prefer to NOT have displayed if I had my druthers.
I actually made a fix for this a while ago that I host on the repo. Try using this style in either userChrome.css or Stylem:

#main-window[tabsintitlebar]:not([inFullscreen]) #toolbar-menubar[inactive] ~ #TabsToolbar:not(:-moz-lwtheme){
  background: none !important;
}
As an aside, it's also possible to get dark modes in these two themes:

Compact Moon - using the Compact Moon Options extension
Noia Moon - using the Noia Moon Options extension.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 21:56

Lootyhoof - IN REGARDS TO DARKPITCH --- Thanks for the CSS code to remove the blue line -- works! :thumbup:

Another suggestion would be the highlight (in white) the "<" and ">" for navigating the tabs -- which ever is active as far as any tabs in either direction (could be both) whenever a lot of tabs are used. Also the "+" and "List all Tabs" buttons at the end of the tabs would be better white imho. Right now all of these are black hence not very observable. (Note: it would be good to have the "<" or ">" dark only IF there are no more tabs in the direction of the arrow -- otherwise white so they can be seen).

Edit: oh and one other thing I just noticed -- the verified by area where it informs the "secure" nature of the website (to the left of the URL in the address bar) is so pale in color (light-blue) that it might be easier to read the text displayed if it were black text. :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-25, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 22:15

Lootyhoof wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:1) Dark Moon -- which renders this with missing text in the Find Bar (so that's no good)
And as if by magic, it's fixed. ;)
Thanks for fixing this (Find bar) issue on the Dark Moon theme -- Note: This theme has already got all the suggestions I mentioned for the other theme -- so I'll probably be using this theme for now. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 22:27

Hey Lootyhoof - a couple of questions regarding the "Dark Moon" theme:

1) Can you give me the CSS code so all the browser tabs will have white text the same as the active tab? You see I already have CSS code to place a thin blue bar at the top of the active tab so I already know which tab is open (so don't need the difference in tab text). By changing the tab text for all tabs to white I can read the text for all of them better to help navigate the tabs.

Edit: hmm -- just noticed that hovering tabs turns the text to white -- so this is probably not that important either --- maybe elevating question 2 to more important. ;) :D

2) Not as important -- but is there also some CSS code you could provide to make the scroll slider stand out a little more (i.e. lighter gray color) so it can be seen easier? (I notice that the scroll bar slider does get lighter when it is selected which is nice to have -- but otherwise if not selected the slider is not enough contrast to the scroll bar to see very well....

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-25, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-25, 23:01

SpockFan02 wrote:I would suggest using userChrome.css.

Try something like

Thanks for the suggestion. That only fixed the first part of the text shadow issue:
only fixed part of text shadow.png
still remains for the last two functions. Any suggestions?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-26, 00:45

Yeah, what about

.findbar-button > .checkbox-label-box { text-shadow: 0 0 0 !important; }
? :D

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-26, 05:58

SpockFan02 wrote:Yeah, what about

? :D
Thanks for the suggestion. This fixed the text for the two check boxes at the end but the "Highlight All" reverts back to the shadow issue.

Had to do this:

to get this:
find bar okay if no search.png
but there are still shadow problems if I do an actual search:
if search done bad news.png
Any ideas on how to deal with this problem? I still prefer my former "Dark" theme for various reasons so would sure like to fix this if at all possible (I'd deal with the none-black rendering of the Find bar if I could just solve the problem with the text shadowing as a result of PMv28).
Off-topic:
Just a very few of the many reasons I prefer my "Dark" theme that I've been using for years up until now is for example all tabs with white text since I have the active tab highlighted with a blue line at the top of active tab (which took me forever to write CSS code for but doesn't show in the screen-shot unless it is enlarged) and the gray color of address/search bars and also I like the progress bar to be the traditional green (which also matches my green-bar, which doesn't show here, that is rendered by the Location-4-Evar add-on when the a page loads) instead of a gray progress bar like it generally is in all other dark themes.
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO BE ABLE TO SEE BLUE LINE TO DELINEATE ACTIVE TAB
CLICK TO ENLARGE TO BE ABLE TO SEE BLUE LINE TO DELINEATE ACTIVE TAB
like the progress bar as green instead of gray.png
like the progress bar as green instead of gray.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
A big reason I've always liked and appreciated Pale Moon is the way I've been able to modify the browser to my preferences, that is up to this Find Bar text shadow issue that has presented itself in beta1.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-26, 06:23, edited 2 times in total.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-26, 15:30

Okay, now how about

.findbar-find-next,
.findbar-find-previous,
.findbar-button > .toolbarbutton-text,
.findbar-button > .checkbox-label-box,
.found-matches { text-shadow: 0 0 0 !important; }
?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-26, 16:43

^ DA, DA, --- IT WORKS! :thumbup:

Many thanks SpockFan02 for finding the solution :clap: -- I wish I had your knowledge of CSS code. 8-) I can now use my preferred theme again in PM28. ;)

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-06-26, 16:56

Pale Moon Rising wrote:^ DA, DA, --- IT WORKS! :thumbup:

Many thanks SpockFan02 for finding the solution :clap: -- I wish I had your knowledge of CSS code. 8-) I can now use my preferred theme again in PM28. ;)
I'm so glad!

As for acquiring that knowledge, I can recommend DOMi and Element Inspector (as well as W3C and MDN for general CSS stuff).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-26, 20:45

^SpockFan02 - thanks for the additional CSS coding information.

I can assure you that you have done a great favor not for me alone -- but also probably 1000's of AMO Theme users who if this issue doesn't change for Pale Moon 28 (which I assume will be the case based on Moonchild's post below) that will run into the same Find bar problem as I have had -- I know this because I tried 12 other alternate AMO themes as well that all had the same problem and I'm sure it's not just the "dark" themes that are the issue but is because of the way the Find Bar is designed in PMv28 as posted by Moonchild previously in this topic:
Moonchild wrote:... The Findbar's environment has changed as it is now part of the tabbed browser instead of the global window.
So as of the time that Pale Moon 28 will be officially released this will be a problem for a large number of Pale Moon users so I will for one have your post bookmarked so that I will be able to direct these many users who are currently using similar browser themes as mine. ;) Thanks again!

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2018-06-27, 03:06

For the record and future information, this does not occur using the Maxi4 theme.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-27, 04:17

EbonJaeger wrote:For the record and future information, this does not occur using the Maxi4 theme.
This Maxi4 theme is a browser theme on the Pale Moon themes page and as such would presumably be expected to work on Pale Moon --- the problem seems to be with themes on the AMO themes page, at least the 12+ that I've tried.... which is why I have previously posted that when PM28 is officially released there will probably be many 1000's of Pale Moon users that are using AMO Themes that will prefer to keep the theme they have been using who will run into this same problem and therefore require the CSS code that SpockFan02 has thankfully posted (assuming AMO Themes will continue to have the Find Bar "text shadow" issue with Pale Moon 28 due the Find Bar being a part of the tabbed browser instead of the global window for this milestone release).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-27, 08:57, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-27, 09:54

The problem, then, is not necessarily the theme, but rather lightweight themes
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite